Texas Hunting Forum

calls in your bag

Posted By: o2bwest

calls in your bag - 01/09/11 03:37 AM

What calls do you carry? I am especially interested in knowing how many of you carry tube calls and trumpets.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: calls in your bag - 01/09/11 04:01 AM

Usually have at least 5 diaphrams, 2 slate type, a box, a striker box, and a wing-bone.

Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter

Re: calls in your bag - 01/09/11 06:13 PM

1 slate, 1 glass, 4 diff strikers, 1 long box call, 1 medium box call, 1 gobble shaker, 4 diaphragm calls , and my absolute favorite and now very hard to find an "ALL" wooden cedar Quaker Boy push button yelper smile

Posted By: senko86

Re: calls in your bag - 01/09/11 10:10 PM

i have 8 diaphrams, 1 slate, 1 owl locater, and a push pin... i use 1 daiphram and thats it.... id like to know how that fighting purr call works though

Re: calls in your bag - 01/10/11 12:06 AM

I know they sell them but with a good slate or that type call you can do the fighting purr.

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: calls in your bag - 01/10/11 01:27 PM

Fighting purr call basically is a pushbutton with two different surface areas in the same call. So you can make some adjustment to cause two different sounds. That was poorly explained. I think you could do the same with two pushbutton calls or probably even on the same last. Practice Practice Practice.

Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: calls in your bag - 01/12/11 04:08 PM

i use a box call or a diaphram call and thats it. I never take both..just one or the other. Sometimes if im hunting private i take my gobbler. I have a bunch of different calls, but i just like the box call. It seems to work better than any others i have used.

I have to watch out for those guys hunting public with the gobblers. I have stalked up on someone using a gobbler. Funny thing is..he never saw me. Not smart to use those for public in my opinion.

Posted By: rat87

Re: calls in your bag - 01/12/11 05:43 PM

never leave home without my hand made slate calls. I just carry 2 with 3 strikers and a gobbler.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pwkeuAl98kjx5VgAEWYk8nDt8UtfamTrDSv5lu0nN4c?feat=directlink

Re: calls in your bag - 01/18/11 04:13 AM

No tube or trumpet guys I guess? I have heard both can be tricky to learn, but I would really like to try both. They seem to be hard to find though.

Re: calls in your bag - 01/18/11 11:04 AM

Well a Wingbone is a type trumpet call, Sometimes I use the straw from a pushup, yup the icecream to call with. The tube calls I never got good at. Then again some of my biggest gobblers the calls never came out of the bag, just call them in using natural voice. For the heck of it one morning we only called with blackberry briar leaves, guess it worked since a gobbler came in to the gun,

Some of the worst sounding calls I have ever heard in the spring woods were from a hen.

Posted By: ruggedcountry

Re: calls in your bag - 01/19/11 02:25 AM

slate & glass w/ 3 strikers, owl, 3 diaphrams, and my favorite the Mad Hatchet

Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: calls in your bag - 01/19/11 02:58 PM

a friend of mine uses a coffee straw and thats it. He does really well with it too.

Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: calls in your bag - 01/20/11 03:47 AM

I usually bring crown bag full Of custom calls the old man makes from wood we cut at the ranch. Problem is that they are all good and can't use them all. Oh and of course my trumpet!! Thinking o a squeelIng hen call this yr though.

Re: calls in your bag - 01/21/11 04:38 AM

Who made your trumpet call?

Posted By: Bocephus1975

Re: calls in your bag - 01/25/11 02:36 PM

I usually take 2-3 diaphragms, a slate, and a box. My mood determines which ones I use. I used to use a snuff-can call alot, but they're very hard to find now.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: calls in your bag - 01/28/11 03:46 PM

What is your go-to diaphram call? I have nice box call I won in a benefit auction. I'm looking forward to trying it out in March! I'm going on Archery Turkey hunt in Sabinal...woo hoo

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: calls in your bag - 01/28/11 04:50 PM

Bullys Game calls up...Red Beard, Gandma Hen and Blue Lightning are my favorites. Just switched to these after being a Quaker Boy supporter for years. Inexpensive calls that are outstanding. Funny commercials too.

Bully's Web site:
http://www.bullysgamecalls.com/

Funny Bully's Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XWyAopnB4

Posted By: SWG

Re: calls in your bag - 01/30/11 04:50 AM

I have heard about a turkey call being made fom a wing bone of the turkey. Anybody else heard of this?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum