Texas Hunting Forum

Eastern vs. Rio Identification

Posted By: UTMallard

Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/25/10 06:28 PM

Does anyone know the best way to tell the difference between an Eastern and a Rio? I've read that the Eastern has darker tips on it's tail feathers/fan, but it seems like it would be difficult to tell the difference with a live bird in front of you in the field. I've hunted Rios all my life near Brady, but have a place in Grayson County where there is potential to see both. Thoughts?

Posted By: ccvidimos

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/25/10 06:36 PM

shoot then ask questions later. they're both legal

Posted By: perch jerker

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/25/10 07:25 PM

If the Tom comes running and gobbling in its a Rio. If You set up and The tom comes in after 3 hours and never makes a sound it an Eastern.

Posted By: atascosa_red

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/25/10 07:47 PM

The Rio gobbles in spanish.

Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/25/10 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: perch jerker
If the Tom comes running and gobbling in its a Rio. If You set up and The tom comes in after 3 hours and never makes a sound it an Eastern.

LOL, while these scenarios are commonplace, I've had the exact opposite happen on several occasions. Fan feathers on a Rio will be white, off white or buff in color, while the Eastern will be brown to dark brown in color. I wouldn't worry much on the ID thing, as it's county dependant on the number of birds you can harvest.

Gman

Posted By: BirdRanger

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/25/10 10:32 PM

Easterns have an almost bronze brown tip and are very dark barred and they are sneaky.

Rios have a very light tip almost white and on occasion the come running in if your dekes are set up right and they are smaller in size but more vocal on and off the roost.

Hope this helps

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/26/10 06:19 PM

I'm with perch Jerker! Dang eastern's they take forever! Although yes the way to tell is the dark tail feather's. Go to a website with pic's of turkey's and notice the bright white tips and center tip's on the rio, and the eastern is way darker! lol atascosa. El' gobblero'

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/26/10 07:10 PM

Some of you may remember I played this game a few years ago. To kill the time until next weekends opener...let's play again. Guess Eastern, Rio, Merriam, or Goulds.

Posted By: perch jerker

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/26/10 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard
Some of you may remember I played this game a few years ago. To kill the time until next weekends opener...let's play again. Guess Eastern, Rio, Merriam, or Goulds.

Goulds
Eastern
Rio
Merriams

Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Eastern vs. Rio Identification - 03/26/10 07:39 PM

Seen rios that look just like all three but all from west tx so i know there all rios. Killed a couple of easterns in ny. state and the color was alot darker and the birds almost look black.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum