Texas Hunting Forum

Quickest way to sour corn for hogs

Posted By: wgonfan

Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 04:37 PM

I'm sure this as been asked on here 100 times before, but the search on this forum sucks, or I'm too stupid to use it.

So, is there a quick way to sour corn to use as hog bait. Say something that would work in like 2 days as opposed to 10days?

Posted By: Joshua Lee

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 04:54 PM

We used to put milk in a bucket w/ corn for catfish, maybe try that.... The sun does the work

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 05:17 PM

Pee on it or use beer

Posted By: Joshua Lee

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 05:18 PM

use beer? wtf man, thats alcohol abuse! hahaha

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 05:28 PM

HAHA,

What I always do it pour the last little bit of backwash/beer misture left in my can into the bucket with corn in it. Then when I get drunk I get the wild idea to pee in it. It does work and it is pretty stanky.

Posted By: scot

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 06:24 PM

I've had good success with just jello no need to go stinking up a bucket.

Posted By: dovehunter101

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 08:06 PM

i have heard diesel fuel works from a lot of people.... just lightly soak the corn or spray with a water bottle full of it and go out. no need to wait on it to sour

Posted By: CleanKill

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 08:34 PM

I've heard the diesel thing too, but I've never tried it myself. I haven't even tried hog bait like this. How long does it take to attract hogs?

Posted By: dovehunter101

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/14/10 09:25 PM

hogs on my lease will come to the corn-diesel mixture almost within the hour its out. i have also heard hog wild works really well but i have never tried that. corn and fuel will go alot further than a 10-15 dollar bag of that stuff.

fyi... i get a gallon milk jug and put corn and fuel in it and shake it well and let it sit for a day and then take the top off and dig a hole and put the jug and all in the ground with the lid off and shoot the hogs before they get to it to tear it up. then get it out of the ground and put the lid back on and re-use. hunting is expensive and i dont blieve in wasting money on varmits. i use what works or whats cheap and make it work.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/15/10 10:47 PM

I had hog wild out more than once, and never had a single pic of a hog coming to it, only deer...go figure huh??

Posted By: F-250

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/19/10 01:34 AM

Beer will sour it pretty quick especially if you leave it out in the sun.

Posted By: .308TAC

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/19/10 01:57 AM

corn and diesel

Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/20/10 05:23 AM

I use one of the taller 5 gallon buckets (pool chlorine or baseball bucket) one 40 lb. bag of corn with 1 gallon of diesel, 10 packs of cheap jello, 2 small packs of yeast. Stir it up, set in sun with lid on for first couple days, crack lid 2nd day or it will pop off. after 3-4 days, dig hole and bury, leave a little on top. Kill all hogs.

Posted By: texfork

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/20/10 12:15 PM

X 2 on the yeast packets .

Posted By: AcesAnEights

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/20/10 03:35 PM

We usually use the old beer left in the cooler for the yeast, have not ever thought about packs of yeast, GREAT IDEA!!

Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/21/10 01:47 AM

The yeast packets come in a 4 pack for about $1.29, buy the cheapest jello mix, 5 for a buck at big lots. works great, just got back from killin a few over the batch I made last saturday. Good luck to all.

Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: Quickest way to sour corn for hogs - 01/21/10 11:59 PM

We never sour ours, just mix it the night before
1 cup of diesel to 3-4 gallons of corn, but we put it in our traps
Bait out on monday afternoon and leave the traps open till fri afternoon, set traps with fresh mix for sat.,sun., and mon., then tie the traps open again

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum