Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County?

Posted By: Caviel

Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/11/09 07:31 PM

Hey guys, I was planning to go down to Texas in a little while and I was wondering how is the Hog hunting around Panola County near Carthage?

Caviel

Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/11/09 09:09 PM

i hunt around carthage and the pigs are there for the most part...just gotta find em

Posted By: ttenrab

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/12/09 06:58 PM

I can't speak to the other areas of Panola county other than hearsay, but in the river bottom on our place, they are rampant and destructive. We have a "shoot all pigs/hogs on sight" policy as they are breeding at a much faster rate than we can kill or trap them. On a very fun morning and afternoon hunt one Saturday last November, I shot six pigs and two does from my deer stand. (it's the only time in 40 yrs of hunting that I was concerned that I may not have brought along enough ammo.) That was a "career high" day for me, and like any other hunt, there are no guarantees. My experience has been that when feral hogs are moving through the area, there are generally a lot of them.
-Greg

Posted By: RCope

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/14/09 06:35 PM

I know there's quite a few of them on the public land in panola county on the river.

Posted By: MTA0019

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/16/09 12:11 AM

what public land is on the sabine river in panola county? i've hunted there for a while and have never heard of it.

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/16/09 11:18 PM

It's down off Hwy 31. About 7500 acres or so. You have to have the Annual Public Hunting permit.

Posted By: Caviel

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/17/09 06:36 AM

You guys in Texas are very lucky that you have a wide diversity of animals to hunt, I'm planning on moving down there soon

Posted By: MTA0019

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/17/09 07:03 PM

rcopester,

do you hunt there alot?

is it overrun with hunters?

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/17/09 08:19 PM

I hunt a good ways south of Carthage, but anytime you have a good mixture of creeks/river, timber and hay pastures, chances are very good you will have hogs to shoot.

Re: Anyone Hunt for Hogs around Carthage Tx/Panola County? - 10/18/09 12:52 AM

I have hunted there quite a bit. My brother hunts there every chance he gets. He's down there 2 to 3 times a week. It's never really crowded. Especially if you know where to go.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum