Texas Hunting Forum

what caliber is best for shoting hogs

Posted By: big rack hunter 137

what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 02:14 AM

what is the best caliber for shoting hogs 50 to 300 lbs

Posted By: JCB

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 02:18 AM

Man your going to get a million different answers on this one!

Personaly I like the 350 Remingon Magnum and the 35 Whelen! Next on the list would be the 444 Marlin!

Posted By: mbavo

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 02:22 AM

any center fire rifle that you can hit them thru the ear with will do the trick.

Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 02:47 AM

It's not the caliber that kills the hog, it's the bullet being put EXACTLY where it is supposed to go from the nut behind the trigger.

Use whatever caliber you are comfortable shooting, and practice to the point where you can shoot 10 shots into a 1" group, from various positions; prone, standing, standing supported, etc. Once you can do that-it won't matter what caliber you shoot. As mbavo said, shoot them within a 1" radius of the ear-hole, and you'll have a dead hog.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 02:49 AM

if hit right, they all die the same amount of dead

Posted By: pig out

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 04:22 AM

if you shoot them in the head you can even kill em with a 22. but i prefer a 270.

Posted By: JJH

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 04:40 AM

whatever you use for deer should work fine for "normal" shots. Just be aware that the heart-lung area is farther forward than on a deer so you need to shoot thru the shoulder not behind it.

If you shoot em in the ear, whatever you use for prairie dogs works good.

Posted By: altez

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 05:47 AM

I think .243 and up will work but IMO.

Posted By: shaveman

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 06:27 AM

i would say you would want at least a .270 i use my .30-06 though

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 06:29 AM

I agree with pig out you would be shocked at what that .22mag will do but the .270 never fails

Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 06:35 AM

Quote:

I agree with pig out you would be shocked at what that .22mag will do but the .270 never fails

I agree. Just put it thru the ear hole!

Posted By: CTK3

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 06:52 AM

I've killed them with 223, 243, 257 Roberts, 308, 30-06, and the almighty 300 win mag. All of them work.

Personally I like .30 calibers.

Posted By: rattlesnake

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 06:56 AM

45-70 works for me. I hate to chase them after the shot.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 07:10 AM

whichever gun that u have closest at the time of seeing the hog.... and as far as what size bullet, whichever one is in the magazine and or chamber.

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 10:51 AM

.223 in the ear

Posted By: Big Will

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 09:14 PM

.308 30.06 762X39 12ga slug I have used all these. Just use what ever you have and shoot best with.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 09:24 PM

ive used 9mm 7mm, .45, 30-30, 30.06, .223, .243,.270, .22, a knife, a swift hatchet to the head, 7mm magnum, and that might be it....

Posted By: catchrcall

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/10/09 09:44 PM

I'm with altez, .243 and up, I aim center of the neck. break the neck and everything stops right there.

Posted By: age n score

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 01:11 AM

I shoot all my hogs in the face or the ear. I like the meat, so I shoot all of the little pigs I see. If they are over 150 lbs I let them walk. But there are times when I love to hear the " SMACK of a good placed head shot no matter what they weigh. Dead is dead, but a big gun makes a good smack!!

Posted By: rifleman

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 01:25 AM

Quote:

the almighty 300 win mag.

x2

kills them dead when I want to lay them down right there.... and the 180gr ballistic silver tips kill them quicker when I don't want to mess with them in the general area they are standing when I pull the trigger.

but honestly I would suggest using anything that can kill them. How much are RPGs going for nowdays?

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 01:26 AM

45-70

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 01:51 AM

You guys are making it to hard to decide. First we need to know if you prefer Ford, Chevy or Dodge?

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 03:22 AM

Quote:

You guys are making it to hard to decide. First we need to know if you prefer Ford, Chevy or Dodge?

Toyota

For hogs....anything in the .17 - .35 calibers should work.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 03:32 AM

I keep forgetting Toyota and Nissan make the full size versions.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 03:37 AM

Just for the record...I don't own a Toyota. Just giving ya a hard time.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 03:57 AM

We could have fum with this!

Who shoots better a Ford owner or a Chevy owner?

Posted By: jeff@1

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 05:47 AM

Quote:

A jeep owner

BTW - I bagged 2 this past year w/ a 300 H&H hitting right behind the shoulder & dropped both in their tracks.

Know some guys that get them w/ smaller calibers behind the ears and they get a lot more meat out of 'em

Posted By: rocksolid

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 08:20 AM

Marvin you know a CHEVY owner shoots hawgs the best. By the way my two younger cousins have done some great work with your calls.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/11/09 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info about the calls. I will have to do a study on that Chevy shooting. Bet if I apply the government will give me a grant to do a study about that.

Posted By: Longshank

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/12/09 07:45 AM

I have killed a couple of hogs up to 250lbs with a 17hmr while shooting turtles on my pond. If shot placement is in the ear, you are okay. If you miss though you better head for the truck! I would say for safe kill, a 223 on up....

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/12/09 08:01 AM

Quote:

Chevy mirrors make a better rest!!!!!

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/12/09 08:42 AM

the electric windows lower faster as well.

Posted By: KellyAsh

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/12/09 10:08 AM

Quote:

what is the best caliber for shoting hogs 50 to 300 lbs

Isnt "shoting hogs" kinda redundant? LOL J/K

I think the "perfect" caliber would be along the lines of a .50 cal. You can line up a dozen or so and kill them all with one shot and still end up with maybe a pound of good meat left over.

Posted By: tttfarms

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/13/09 12:53 AM

it all depends on were you place the bullet or i use my 22-250 all the time but then again if i hunt with my 270 ill use it sometimes a 30 carbine

Posted By: jdowney4092

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/13/09 06:04 PM

.270 or a .45 if you're close enough. lol

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/14/09 06:02 AM

This is the only thing that will work...

Posted By: J McCoy

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 03:55 AM

30-30, 270, my bow....

Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 06:27 AM

50 cal for sure..lol

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 07:16 AM

Bullet weight should be atleast 5% of the weight of the hog.

Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 07:40 AM

So you are saying we should stone the hog to death???

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 03:16 PM

no he is referring to a cannon ranging from a 2in ball to an 8in ball.

Posted By: Buglemintoday

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 04:38 PM

Had good luck with everything from Spear-Archery-.222-.50bmg and most inbetween

Posted By: tx hunter

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
no he is referring to a cannon ranging from a 2in ball to an 8in ball.

Or grape shot, then you can take out multiple. laugh

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/16/09 07:41 PM

Definatly .50 cal. But shot from this!!!

Posted By: Big Will

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/17/09 01:05 AM

A .50 is prefect. Dont even need to skin em. Just take you some ziplock bags to carry the chunks home in.

Posted By: blackmouthc

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/22/09 05:30 AM

I drive a jacked up Tundra. It kicks. I shoot a 35 Whelen with 225 Nosler Accubond bullets. It kicks too. No worrying about next shots, Pick a spot near the vitals and you are home free.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/22/09 11:51 PM

i say use a .270 but look into getting a bow it will change your life i promise

Posted By: Inspector

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/23/09 09:52 PM

Has anybody ever used a .204? I have a .204 that I used for shooting coyotes and bobcats with and I would like to find out how well it would work on pigs. I shoot hornady 40 grain v-max bullets.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/23/09 10:04 PM

.204 will work fine with the right shot placement. I really prefer the behind the ear shot with the smaller calibers, but realize sometimes thats hard to do when trying to put the truck in park...hold the light and get a shot off at one running mack8 across a field.

Posted By: rackjudge

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/23/09 10:28 PM

I killed this guy with a .204 ruger. One shot 4inches behind the ear = grave yard dead!

Posted By: Inspector

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/23/09 10:31 PM

Nice hog, cant wait until I can try my .204 out on some hogs. Thanks for the advice guys and the pics.

Posted By: DHuggins

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/24/09 08:31 PM

30-06

Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/25/09 03:24 AM

i use a .260 and i love it...its kinda hard to find bullets tho. behind the shoulder or in the head, works both ways

Posted By: Victor Six Bravo

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/26/09 05:05 PM

Hi guys, my first post here.

I'm a very, very junior hunter (have hunted things that shot back, though I never saw combat, recently started hunting hogs)

Went out with an experienced friend who has a hog problem, he generally uses .30-06/.30-30 and .45-70 because it's available.

First and second time out used a .44 levergun, no pigs, but Mr. Coyote had a bad day.

Upcoming hunt, brother and dad are going. Brother's never been, using 7.62X39mm, dad hasn't hunted since Vietnam, he's using 12ga with slugs/buck. I'll use either the .44 Mag or 5.56mm.

Aside from "shoot them in the ear/shoulder" any particular recommended loads for those calibers? Softpoint vs FMJ, etc.

Posted By: BaylorChase

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/26/09 08:21 PM

.223 Ar-15 is my favorite gun/caliber to hunt hogs with.

Posted By: Burrito

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/26/09 08:35 PM

I've only used a 30-06 up to this point, but I'm going to try an AR-15 this year with 60 gr Nosler Partitions in 223. My preference is a behind the ear shot, but that's not always possible. I figure the partition bullet will hold together the best and still penetrate well if I have to take a shoulder shot. A couple years ago I shot a hog on the run and hit him in the lower jaw with a 30-06. It completely blew off his jaw and he flopped around a little bit til he bled out. So another way to analyze this would be to ask "What caliber is best for shooting the jaw off a hog?" smile

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/26/09 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: rackjudge
I killed this guy with a .204 ruger. One shot 4inches behind the ear = grave yard dead!

how much does that mogan weigh?

Posted By: NathanY

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/27/09 12:08 AM

Rack hunter, don't listen to these guys, they are going to get you killed or hurt. If you plan on hunting hogs from the ground, you need atleast, the very minimun, a .458 mag rifle with a good zeiss or comparable scope that is 4-16x50 and a .500 S&W revolver side arm for a backup. Make sure you carry plenty of ammo for both.

If you are hunting from a stand, you can go a little lighter, like a .375 H&H. You don't necessarily need a side arm up there, but if you get down out of the stand to walk to your kill or walk back to your vehicle, you definately will need the sidearm.

Posted By: DHuggins

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/27/09 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: NathanY
Rack hunter, don't listen to these guys, they are going to get you killed or hurt. If you plan on hunting hogs from the ground, you need atleast, the very minimun, a .458 mag rifle with a good zeiss or comparable scope that is 4-16x50 and a .500 S&W revolver side arm for a backup. Make sure you carry plenty of ammo for both.

If you are hunting from a stand, you can go a little lighter, like a .375 H&H. You don't necessarily need a side arm up there, but if you get down out of the stand to walk to your kill or walk back to your vehicle, you definately will need the sidearm.

Holy crap... Go a little lighter, like a .375 H&H... WOW.. A well placed shot with a 22 mag will stop them in their tracks....

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/27/09 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: dhuggins

Holy crap... Go a little lighter, like a .375 H&H... WOW.. A well placed shot with a 22 mag will stop them in their tracks....

sometime u have to make up for not so well placed shot.... im for using a bazooka....

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/27/09 10:43 PM

x2..... but wouldn't recommend it if they are under the feeder.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/27/09 10:45 PM

If I cant drop one with my standard .270 deer rifle or my .357 mag side arm I have no business hunting anything. IMO popcorn

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/28/09 12:03 AM

i really hope u are attempting to make a lil funny heree with lots of sarcasm....... heres some hogs killed while on the ground with a 9mm handgun... i do it all the time!

Posted By: parkerlindsey

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/28/09 10:38 AM

Hello Everyone......
My dad and brother are coming to Texas in April for a hog hunt and want to know what the best calibers are. My dad has a .243 that he would like to use, but that seems a little light to me. The hunt will most likely be for meat hogs, 150 lbs or less. I will probably use a .308 or 30-06.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/28/09 06:17 PM

.243 is fine.

Posted By: NathanY

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/31/09 12:38 PM

aaaahhhhhh hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

You guys are killing me. rofl rofl roflmao

Posted By: quickerNu

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 08/31/09 08:53 PM

I like my Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R- has a bayonet just in case! Let the cheap rifle bashing begin!

Posted By: BaylorChase

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 09/10/09 03:41 PM

No cheap rifle bashing here, I love the Mosin and have taken a few hogs with one. You gotta love the huge fireball that comes out of the barrel when you shoot the thing.

Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 09/10/09 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A

i really hope u are attempting to make a lil funny heree with lots of sarcasm....... heres some hogs killed while on the ground with a 9mm handgun... i do it all the time!

Nice photoshop!

Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 09/10/09 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: parkerlindsey
Hello Everyone......
My dad and brother are coming to Texas in April for a hog hunt and want to know what the best calibers are. My dad has a .243 that he would like to use, but that seems a little light to me. The hunt will most likely be for meat hogs, 150 lbs or less. I will probably use a .308 or 30-06.

Posted By: greggtex

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 09/12/09 07:59 PM

Have killed one with a .22-250 at about 125 yds. Head shot. No problem, went right down. Cousin has shot many with .22 mag. A .243 will do the same as a .22-250 if placed. I would go with a .270 or bigger to be sure, but the other calibers will do fine. Have not hunted enough to have experienced it, but keep a pistol with you cause they could do some damage if one gets to you. A big sow came running at my brother from about 40 yds. All he had was his rifle and was able to drop her. But could have been bad.

Posted By: BIG RACK

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 09/12/09 09:00 PM

rifleShot gun 12guage slugs

Posted By: Head Shot

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 09/13/09 09:50 PM

Dude. Stay on the ground and be still. They cant see you. Only take a 44 mag. After you shoot, be still. You can usually get 2 when they come back to eat their little brother. Its a rush. If you dont have a heart attach you will do it again.

Re: what caliber is best for shoting hogs - 09/14/09 02:19 AM

thanks everbody

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum