Texas Hunting Forum

HANGING COYOTES

Posted By: jdickey

HANGING COYOTES - 02/22/23 02:35 AM

In years past, hunters would hang coyotes that they had shot on the fence line by the roadway. Don't that too much now, so I am wondering if there is a regulation that prohibits that practice these days?
Posted By: BigPig

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/22/23 02:55 AM

I still do it, depending on the property owner. My lease owner would throw a fit however.

Having lived in Texarkana for a little bit, there was a young guy that would hang all kinds of skulls and skeletal remains on his fence. One day he put a human skull out there. Never saw him after that
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/22/23 02:55 AM

Years ago I had permission to predator hunt on 7000 acres north of Dallas. The condition with the landowner was a requirement to hang my coyotes on the fence line of a road leading to his home. If he did not see new coyotes on the fence, I would lose my permission. Nothing has changed legally. It's just culture change.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/22/23 03:41 AM

'Saw one in Roosevelt a few weeks ago. Folks used to hang big catfish heads too.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/22/23 04:06 AM

Road from Weatherford to Granbury has a ranch that hangs coyotes. My grandmother used to hang dead snakes on the fence, said it would bring rain.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/23/23 06:06 PM

Buzzard buffet!
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/23/23 06:16 PM

When I lived in Montana we did that but also hung the elk nutz and wanker on the fence posts.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/26/23 02:33 AM

What’s the purpose of all this?
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/26/23 12:23 PM

Well, if you read the responses above, you can see there are several purposes.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/26/23 01:17 PM

I believe county trappers used to do this simply to demonstrate their effectiveness. Last time I saw a good line of these was on my way to Truscutt, north of Benjamin.
Posted By: duffas

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/26/23 09:38 PM

In Kansas, always heard it was a warning to coyotes. Coyote 'getters' were very effective. IIRC illegal now.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/27/23 12:23 AM

Coyotes share the same turf with pigs and the pigs eat them and if the pigs won't the buzzards will. Years back I gave coyotes a pass but that eneded when they killed my cat.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/27/23 03:57 AM

You kill off a bunch of coyotes you will have an increase in the jack rabbit supply, this in turn will increase the supply of coyotes because they will have enough food to breed more, which will reduce the jack rabbit population. A cycle of nature is a cool thing to observe
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/27/23 11:36 AM

They make bullets you can use on Jacks.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/27/23 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder
You kill off a bunch of coyotes you will have an increase in the jack rabbit supply, this in turn will increase the supply of coyotes because they will have enough food to breed more, which will reduce the jack rabbit population. A cycle of nature is a cool thing to observe

On our Upton county ranch I witnessed the most incredible population explosion of jack rabbits, cotton tails, prairie dogs, pack rats, blue quail, ground owls, hawks, snakes, coyotes, bobcats, etc... Every time we shot at quail jacks and cotton tails exploded in all directions.

The next two years the plague hit and you could drive around the entire ranch and only see one or two rabbits. The populations of everything mentioned above crashed!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/27/23 02:52 PM

We used to do it, but my current trapper takes them and uses various parts for his 'scent' mix. If I shoot one it's going on the fence. I don't believe there's any regulation about it in Texas.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 02/27/23 06:25 PM

I was told by a old wolf hunter that hanging them on a fence would chase the others out of the pasture.
Posted By: Espy

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/01/23 05:43 PM

[Linked Image]
Was at my sons house today and these were hanging in someone’s pasture down the road.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/02/23 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Originally Posted by deerfeeder

On our Upton county ranch I witnessed the most incredible population explosion of jack rabbits, cotton tails, prairie dogs, pack rats, blue quail, ground owls, hawks, snakes, coyotes, bobcats, etc... Every time we shot at quail jacks and cotton tails exploded in all directions.

The next two years the plague hit and you could drive around the entire ranch and only see one or two rabbits. The populations of everything mentioned above crashed!

I’ve had a bird dog go on point, and when I walk up and see a rabbit I scolded the dog. Then a covey of bobs flushed. That season it got to be a regular thing, see cottontail and get ready for a covey to flush.
Posted By: tuckerracing

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/02/23 01:37 AM

The county trapper use to hang them here on the fences at the entrance until PETA came through and pitched a big fit and now he just lays them in the ditch/roadside by the entrance. I still hang them on the fence when I get one, just hoping it pisses them off if they see it.
Posted By: Crawdad

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/02/23 03:23 PM

We still see it occasionally. I killed a coyote the other night but just left him. He was after calves
Posted By: Papalote

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/03/23 12:54 AM

Hwy 6 and FM529 used to be called wolf corner back in the 60s. Always a few hanging there. Misnomer I know but that's what folks called it.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/05/23 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Well, if you read the responses above, you can see there are several purposes.

Aside from bragging rights and to get carcasses out of the field, the other claimed purposes were mostly just imaginary.

Originally Posted by duffas
In Kansas, always heard it was a warning to coyotes. Coyote 'getters' were very effective. IIRC illegal now.

Originally Posted by HornSlayer
I was told by a old wolf hunter that hanging them on a fence would chase the others out of the pasture.

Funny how the ranchers like to hang them on the fences by the roads most of the time. I guess that is because they had a large commuter population of coyotes that traveled the roadways.

Funny how you never saw them being hung around the chicken pens to keep them out of the chicken yard.

Originally Posted by Hudbone
I believe county trappers used to do this simply to demonstrate their effectiveness.

To show effectiveness, advertising, bragging, whatever, but the coyotes don't really notice or care.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/05/23 05:43 PM

All this and nobody has it right yet. Hunters would hang coyotes on the fence to let the ranch owner know it was dead. The ranch owner would cut off an ear and get the bounty for it from the county extension agent. This all began when counties started paying bounties on them back on the late 1950's.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/05/23 07:37 PM

They certainly did that in the 1950s in some cases, but not everywhere. The practice of hanging from the fences started well before the 1950s. This article shows a 1937 west Texas photo of predators (bobcat and coyotes) being hung from a fence.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...m-a-fence-in-13633796.php#photo-16962421

My dad's family, during the depression and 1940s, would do it just to get the coyotes out of the field, he said.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 03/05/23 08:02 PM

I was referring to the reason it was widely done in Texas, rather than by folks who don’t know anything about coyotes and did because they heard it keeps them away. This is as about as funny as rattlesnakes not rattling anymore since hogs have moved into their environment.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 05/27/23 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by tuckerracing
The county trapper use to hang them here on the fences at the entrance until PETA came through and pitched a big fit and now he just lays them in the ditch/roadside by the entrance. I still hang them on the fence when I get one, just hoping it pisses them off if they see it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 05/29/23 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

[Linked Image]

LOL
Posted By: Stompy

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 05/29/23 09:28 PM

[Linked Image]
Hung some my hunters killed a couple months back.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 05/30/23 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Saw one in Roosevelt a few weeks ago. Folks used to hang big catfish heads too.

I saw two coyotes on a fence last week.
I haven’t seen catfish heads in 40 years.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 05/30/23 03:14 PM

Still do it every time I get one.
There are still leg bones hanging from the fence right now.
Posted By: jmac24

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 06/01/23 05:22 PM

We have a guy close to our lease between Brady and Llano that hangs them on the fence. I saw catfish heads for years on the posts just outside of Rocksprings.
Posted By: sleepyhunter

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 06/02/23 02:48 PM

I've Deer hunted for most of my adult life never have shot a Coyote and probably never will. Seen plenty of them over the years. I just figured they're trying to hack out a living like every other animal on the this planet. Not condeming anyone here it's a free country. I'm of the same opinion about snakes, prairie dogs and birds unless it's Dove or Quail. I have shot pigs on occassion because of their destructive nature and from being aggressive. I'm the same way with Bass fishing they're fun to catch, but I always let them go after they get reeled in.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 07/09/23 05:51 PM

It's been a while since I shot a coyote but when I do I tie the hind legs together with wire and drop 'em over a fence post. Why? Some may ask. Just cause that's what I've always done, except for the ones I skinned.
Posted By: Skeezix

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 09/20/23 12:44 PM

A warning to other coyotes!
In all seriousness I think it’s just a things some folks do. Have seen it plenty of times while in west texas and OK.
Posted By: Skeezix

Re: HANGING COYOTES - 09/25/23 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by el Rojo

[Linked Image]

LOL

[Linked Image]

LOL

[Linked Image]

LOL

This is awesome! I may have to steal this picture!!:)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum