Texas Hunting Forum

Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?)

Posted By: BePrepared

Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/05/09 02:58 AM

I'm looking to try out my new Rifle, and i'm sure there are a lot of you within a 40 minute drive of huntsville that would like to clear out some hogs before deer season so the deer will start showing up at your feeders.

I'm willing to come out an kill every single hog you have, or as few as you want rid of.

If you don't like the noise, i also have a bow, so i can make em dead real quiet like.

I'll provide corn for your feeders, and dispose of the carcasses.

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 12:44 AM

come on guys... help me out here I was hoping for one or two replies by now.

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 01:34 AM

I feel you. 10 years ago farmers would call me to come shoot pigs for $5/hog. Lots has changed. Sorry, we don't have hogs.......yet.

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 04:51 AM

yeah, i just hope there is some nice person out there with a hog infestation who just wants rid of em.

Sadly people don't seem very willing to let people hunt on their land anymore.

Posted By: NathanY

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 04:58 AM

Have these types of ads ever worked on here before?

There are several outfitters and guides on here that can hook you up with a hog hunt for a fair price. Your probably not going to get a free hunt by asking, unless someone offers in a post of their own, which they do every now and again. Hit up BrandonA, he does cheap hog hunts.

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 05:13 AM

cheap hog hunts would do me no good. I am a college student. I work at home depot and have barely enough money to pay for my rent and bills. I can't afford 2 or 3 hundred bucks to kill a pig.

Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 06:14 AM

Quote:

cheap hog hunts would do me no good. I am a college student. I work at home depot and have barely enough money to pay for my rent and bills. I can't afford 2 or 3 hundred bucks to kill a pig.

But, you have a new AR15? I have a son in college and he better not have an AR before I do. Please let us know how you did it.

Posted By: rsquared

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 06:21 AM

being that you work at home depot, i would suggest you barter your employee discount on materials, or perhaps barter your labor for a hunt.

no one is giving you grief for asking. as a matter of fact, i am impressed with your proactive approach and applaud you for it.

but given the money in it as well as the implied liablities on landowners now, you are just not seeing farmers and such invite too many people to hunt off their place.

i have a buddy who farms and used to take me out to hunt on his farms any time we asked, but this last year he has said no every time. he is not upset with me or anything, he is just worried about liability.

being a landowner, i understand the concern, but it is still sad to see.

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 06:47 AM

The AR was an early graduation gift from my girlfriend (who is NOT poor).

Unfortunately there is NO employee discount at home depot... depressing isn't it.

Posted By: TrackerFouts

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 07:05 AM

I am not even close to huntsville but if you ever make it up to north texas around wichita falls pm me before you come and we will kill some hogs. I have been in your shoes. We have a section on the pease river. Best I can do for ya sorry.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 07:09 AM

if u ever make it down to the victoria area, lemme know, im sure we can work something out!

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 07:38 AM

wow, see i KNEW there were some nice people out there. I will certainly take you two nice folks up on the offer if i ever happen to be in the area.

Victoria is only about 200 miles from me, so that's something that i might be able to swing sometime before deer season.

If anyone lives closer to huntsville (or centerville), please let me know. I have a place that i can stay in centerville, so it would be great to find someone up there

Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad i was right about yall

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 08:01 AM

yep if we go we have to hit it up before deerseason becaus there are deer hunters that dont take kindly to people shooting up the place during hunting season lol!

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 08:04 AM

lol. Can't say as i blame em.

It would seem to me that the people with good deer property would want as many of the hogs killed as possible BEFORE deer season so that the deer would be able to get to the feeders and fatten up.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 09:43 PM

There are lots of real nice folks on here as well as out in the public...just because someone offers a hunt or two doesn't mean others that don't or allow you to hunt their land aren't nice people too!

If you are interested in some information around Centerville, holler at me.

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 10:03 PM

lol. i certainly didn't mean to imply that. So far every single person i've talked to on this site has been incredibly nice.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 11:44 PM

Rick should be able to get you some information on who to contact! Good luck and hope you find a place or two.

Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/06/09 11:47 PM

Quote:

The AR was an early graduation gift from my girlfriend (who is NOT poor).

Does she have a sister?

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/07/09 07:45 AM

lol nope

Posted By: bonecollector

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 12:01 AM

Have yall guys heard about the ATF making house calls for anyone who has bought a AR15? In Houston they are making house calls - unconsitutional but they are doing it.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 12:04 AM

Quote:

Have yall guys heard about the ATF making house calls for anyone who has bought a AR15? In Houston they are making house calls - unconsitutional but they are doing it.

Any proof???

Posted By: Greg

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 12:10 AM

WHAT? WHY??? Come on man...ATF is going to check people out for buying a 223 rifle? I'm sure they have much better things to do with their time.

Maybe the article said they went and checked out someone that had some NFA AR's or something.... big difference there.

Where did you hear this?

Posted By: 11BSquadScoutSniper

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 02:15 AM

Quote:

WHAT? WHY??? Come on man...ATF is going to check people out for buying a 223 rifle? I'm sure they have much better things to do with their time.

Maybe the article said they went and checked out someone that had some NFA AR's or something.... big difference there.

Where did you hear this?

Wow, I hope not!

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 02:26 AM

Since this thread has already been hijacked, here is some additional information. I was at an event over the 4th. The host had just had his annual visit from the BATF and confirmed this as well:

National Rifle Association
US Border States- -(AmmoLand.com)- NRA-ILA has recently received several calls from NRA members in border states who have been visited or called by agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. In some cases, agents have asked to enter these people’s homes, and requested serial numbers of all firearms the members possess.

In each case, the agents were making inquiries based on the number of firearms these NRA members had recently bought, and in some cases the agents said they were asking because the members had bought types of guns that are frequently recovered in Mexico.

This kind of questioning may or may not be part of a legitimate criminal investigation. For example, when BATFE traces a gun seized after use in a crime, manufacturers’ and dealers’ records will normally lead to the first retail buyer of that gun, and investigators will have to interview the buyer to find out how the gun ended up in criminal hands. But in other cases, the questioning may simply be based on information in dealers’ records, with agents trying to “profile” potentially suspicious purchases.

On the other hand, some of the agents have used heavy-handed tactics. One reportedly demanded that a gun owner return home early from a business trip, while another threatened to “report” an NRA member as “refusing to cooperate.” That kind of behavior is outrageous and unprofessional.

Whether agents act appropriately or not, concerned gun owners should remember that all constitutional protections apply. Answering questions in this type of investigation is generally an individual choice. Most importantly, there are only a few relatively rare exceptions to the general Fourth Amendment requirement that law enforcement officials need a warrant to enter a home without the residents’ consent. There is nothing wrong with politely, but firmly, asserting your rights.

If BATFE contacts you and you have any question about how to respond, you may want to consult a local attorney. NRA members may also call NRA-ILA’s Office of Legislative Counsel at (703) 267-1161 for further information. Whether contacting a local attorney or NRA, be sure to provide as many details as possible, including the date, time, and location, agent’s name, and specific questions asked.

Posted By: moderno

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 03:11 AM

This happened to a man I know in Crystal City.

BATFE contacted him and told him they needed to see his all of his guns. They asked him if they were going to need to get a warrant. His response was "No, come on over and I'll buy you lunch"

This man buys and sells a lot of firearms each year, and used to be a LEO.

Posted By: ggunn1

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 04:30 AM

pm sent if you want to come to sulphur springs,about70 miles east of dallas, i will let you slaughter some piggies!

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/08/09 10:18 AM

Quote:

pm sent if you want to come to sulphur springs,about70 miles east of dallas, i will let you slaughter some piggies!

thanks a LOT! i'll get with you at my next opportunity!

anyone live in my area looking for a hunting buddy?

Posted By: mi_hunter

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/09/09 07:13 AM

do ya go to A&M? i'm in college station

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/09/09 10:30 PM

ABSOLUTELY! college station is perfect. Where do you live in CS?

Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/09/09 10:44 PM

Quote:

About what area? I've got some family out there but none made mention of hogs? PM me I'll take you up on that

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/10/09 03:02 AM

i just moved to college station in may. i'm goin to blinn for the fire program. i just wanna get out huntin or fishin. never shot a hog before, didn't have many of them up there. but tons of deer!

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/10/09 03:23 AM

Mi_hunter, do you have a rifle or bow that you can use? if so, we can look into finding a place where we can hunt together.

there are several places within a 3 hour drive that i have been invited to hunt, but i'd really prefer to find a place within an hour or two

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/10/09 03:41 AM

no i don't have anything sent down here yet. i do have the guns and a bow.. by any chance do ya work at gander mountain?

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/10/09 03:48 AM

no sir, i'm not that lucky... although if i did work there, i'd be so completely broke all the time that i'd likely starve (but oh the toys i'd have!)

I only have one gun and one bow that are suitable for hog hunting. If i had a spare i'd loan it to ya. Are you planning to get your weapons sent here?

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/10/09 03:53 AM

ya i'm plannin to get them sent down here when i have the money. i worked at gander for a year and a half.... haha i was flat broke.. they didn't even bother to give me a paycheck, thats how i got my new bow, half off on shop day! do you drive?

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/10/09 07:56 AM

i have been known to drive on occasion, yes... if you're asking if i have a vehicle, indeed i do. I am willing to drive anywhere within about 60 miles any time, but trips further than that will require planning.

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/10/09 09:37 AM

i don't have a vehicle yet.. sucks but not much other choice bein a broke college student, thats what the gf's are for.

Posted By: drj3828

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/11/09 05:04 PM

I live south of College Station and west of Huntsville, I work on the side as a tractor and equipment mechanic. I do lot's of work for the local ranchers and farmers, the thing is they are worried about the livestock getting shot. Plus some folks here has had problems with there pastures getting torn up by trucks and ATV's. I know that not all hunter's do this but it is a point that is brought up all the time. I hunt hogs on several places here in Grimes county and some in Walker county, I will ask around about taking some other folks and let yall know. But you may also go down to the local feed stores and put a card up stating that you would like to remove some hogs and you never know they my give you a call.

Best of Luck!
DRJ

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/11/09 08:32 PM

drj3828, thanks for asking around for me. I've called the huntsville area feed stores, and from what they've said, the folks around here with pigs have figured out that they can make money for hog hunts, so they aren't letting anyone go for free any more. I don't begrudge folks trying to make a buck, especially in times like these, but unfortunately i just can't afford to pay for hunting.

The hundreds that i've already invested into license, ammo, and hunting gear was actually more than i could afford, but i was raised hunting, and i miss it. I've been in the city for 10 years, and hunting is the only way i have of gettin back to my Center Tx. roots.

Oh, and by the way, if you do mention me to anyone, tell them that i don't have or use any kind of ATV, or anything else that will tear up a pasture. I have an suv, but i'm very happy to do a park and walk. I figure if you're not willing to walk to hunt, you don't really wanna hunt all that bad.

Posted By: drj3828

Re: Have AR15, Will travel (Help out a poor college student?) - 07/12/09 03:26 AM

Do you know where Shiro is on Highway 30? If so go to the feed store by the tracks, it is on the left side coming from Huntsville towards College Station. Put some cards on the board and I think you will get some calls. Also go to Producers CO-OP and put some on the board in the rear of the store.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum