Texas Hunting Forum

Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner!

Posted By: milton1allen

Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 07:30 PM

Is anyone on here selling Raccoon Meat? What is the going price for them?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 07:44 PM

Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: milton1allen
Is anyone on here selling Raccoon Meat? What is the going price for them?

You serious???
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 08:09 PM

I've eaten raccoon before. If you cook it just right, it tastes exactly like possum. food grin

Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 08:23 PM

I'll pass. I never eat anything with hands.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 08:51 PM

I've tried it......JUST so I could say I did. NO need to do it again!
Posted By: breadman

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 09:27 PM

consume many many beers and it will TASTE LIKE CHIKEN food
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/29/16 09:32 PM

Taste closer to brisket when slow cooked, its not bad. Not my first pick.

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/30/16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: glocker17
cheers

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/30/16 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
cheers

I found it more like pulled pork but know what you sayin
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/30/16 06:10 PM

Nope.

Prime rib, filet mignon, and lobster are too cheap for me to eat a dang coon.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/30/16 07:14 PM

South Dallas maybe, you might have to pay them to take it.
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 12:41 AM

A good friend of my wifes wanted a coon so I trapped her one. I would not eat it but she was happy as hell to get it. She was a older lady and grew up dirt poor in Mississippi and said it reminded her of her childhood. I told her spam did the samething for me and I wanted no parts of it either barf
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 01:13 AM

I've had it. It was pretty darn good. Not greasy.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I've eaten raccoon before. If you cook it just right, it tastes exactly like possum. food grin

it's that greasy?

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: bull279

it's that greasy?

That was my attempt at a joke.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 05:22 AM

The day I first eat Raccoon will be sometime after the end of the world as we know it..gross..
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 03:59 PM

its funny to hear some say no thanks or its terrible..i think its the stigma and the thought more than anything else......when i worked for the Sheriffs office we had a wildgame supper every year with anything and everything imaginable there and the first thing that we ran out of every year was bbq coon and i'm talking over 150 coons not just a few....eaten by white people....and the funny thing is and its really stupid is most of them didnt want anyone to know they were eating it no matter how much they liked it. smh

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
its funny to hear some say no thanks or its terrible..i think its the stigma and the thought more than anything else......when i worked for the Sheriffs office we had a wildgame supper every year with anything and everything imaginable there and the first thing that we ran out of every year was bbq coon and i'm talking over 150 coons not just a few....eaten by white people....and the funny thing is and its really stupid is most of them didnt want anyone to know they were eating it no matter how much they liked it. smh

You're right. The stigma is just too much for some to overcome. Coon really isn't bad. I haven't eaten it in awhile, but I liked it cooked low and slow in a crockpot with taters and carrots.

I took some squirrel fricassee to work just a few days ago for folks to try. Those that did try it absolutely loved it. Other guys wouldn't touch it, even when they knew it tasted great.

Coon, squirrel, possum, ect were the staples of our American ancestors, especially in Texas and the south. With the Field to Table movement, more folks are embracing their heritage and rediscovering these excellent sources of protein.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 05:36 PM

Per my grandmother, who was in her 30's during the Depression, coon was normally served with one paw still attached. You wanted your guests to know they weren't eating a dog. It was common courtesy.

Before my mother passed on, she loaned me one of her favorite and most precious books. It was by a local woman that was a teenager during the depression. She and her family lived in a large plantation home, so they were not sharecroppers. She wrote of life in those times, and it was easy to see that those people were hungry. They hunted for meat, which included deer, squirrel, coon, turtles (a favorite), rabbit, duck, geese, dove, quail, and whatever. I don't remember armadillo getting mentioned. There were few, if any, fat people. A compliment from those days was "you are so fat and fine", which was a good thing back then.

As an aside that you might find interesting, she was good friends with General Chennault prior to WWII. He'd fly one of the biplane fighters from Barksdale in Shreveport to her place to visit and hunt. And in her book she said that he'd practice Machine gunnery in the lake behind her house. A great read, that book.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 05:46 PM

Too much other good stuff to eat to be eating coon. Now if I was starving I'd eat eat no problem same with many critters.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 12/31/16 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf

You're right. The stigma is just too much for some to overcome. Coon really isn't bad. I haven't eaten it in awhile, but I liked it cooked low and slow in a crockpot with taters and carrots.

I took some squirrel fricassee to work just a few days ago for folks to try. Those that did try it absolutely loved it. Other guys wouldn't touch it, even when they knew it tasted great.

Coon, squirrel, possum, ect were the staples of our American ancestors, especially in Texas and the south. With the Field to Table movement, more folks are embracing their heritage and rediscovering these excellent sources of protein.
up
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/01/17 12:23 AM

I will eat a coon before I eat a possum. Know plenty of old folks in east Texas who eat coons this very day. Like stated they cook them just like a pot roast including the potato's and carrots. I ate plenty of squirrels when I was a kid. We lived in the city but dad had no problem shooting them on a weekend morning out of pecan tree. We would them with red eye gravy and biscuits. I show miss my old man.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/01/17 01:21 AM

I grew up in far east Texas in the early '40's. The family lived on whatever we could bring home out of the Piney Woods, and that certainly included raccoon. At the time, with no vote in what we had on the dinner table, we all thanked the Lord that we had something to go along with the pinto beans. Over the last 70 years, I have tried raccoon and 'possum cooked up by many of my hunting buddies. I have come to the conclusion that it is an "acquired taste" dinner item and I don't think I have enough time left on this earth to try to acquire such a taste. I've eaten alligator, rattlesnake, and more than a few meadowlarks (poor man's quail), but I think I'm about done with raccoon sampling, thank you very much!
Posted By: L. C. Clower

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/01/17 11:54 PM

I had a professor in college, German, one class someone mentioned eating possum or armadillo or something, he said matter-of-factly, "I've eaten dog, I've eaten cat. I prefer cat, dog is a little greasy unless it's a little puppy." followed by a description of the famine that racked Europe from 1945 to 1950.
I draw the line at armadillo. No envio armadillo. But stingray wings make great taco meat.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/03/17 06:59 PM

A friend at work claims he can cook coon so that it's very tasty, but I've not had the pleasure of trying it. I know this: if you look at what an animal eats, you'll know something about what it tastes like. Coons are mammals that generally eat cleaner stuff than armadillos, which mostly eat worms and grubs.

I've also found that how you clean and take care of the meat makes a big difference in any animal. I was hunting in Wyoming, and the locals up there would hardly touch a pronghorn, claiming the meat was too gamey to taste worth a darn. But us dumb Texas boys always had them field dressed and on ice within 30 minutes, and the meat was always fine. It was bland since there's no fat, but not a strong taste at all.

So I would imagine that if you took a coon that wasn't eating rotten food and cleaned it properly, it should taste as good as catfish, which eats dead gunk on the bottom of the lake.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/03/17 07:09 PM

popcorn sick eek2 flush loco barf
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/04/17 03:41 AM

I had a friend that that lost his lower legs in a car accident,being a coon hunter he every year would ask me for a coon for his mother to cook for him.One day he brought me some and along with it was a recipe on cooking it from his mother.I don't remember just how it went something like boil the coon in water with black pepper and salt then remove the coon from the boil, and place it in a pan, put sweet taters around the coon, sprinkle crust red pepper on the coon and bake for 40 minutes with foil covering the coon,take the coon out of the oven,remove the foil,and have no mercy!
Posted By: tworod

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/04/17 06:10 PM

coon makes good jerky as well, never dry for sure.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/04/17 06:39 PM

Ya'll still got time to make it if you can get a ticket, though it's not like it was in the old days..........Fantastic duck hunting too.

The Coon Supper Gillett, Ark.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/05/17 07:47 PM

Seen the game cam photos...some coons are corn fed so that should help them be more paletable! Still corn bandits and turkey are corn buzzards!
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/06/17 02:12 PM

Coon is better than possum and they are both better than armadillo. I didn't do the cooking but had a neighbor who would take anything and everything we would bring him.
I will take squirrels over any of them.
Posted By: supersampson12

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/10/17 04:15 AM

No
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/12/17 03:29 AM

My brother-in-law grew up in the back woods of Arkansas. I think there were six kids in his graduating high school class. His father died when he was about six, and they lived with his grandmother. They ate whatever they could get. He said 'coon wasn't bad, just a bit greasy.

I've though about cooking one. I've looked at recipes. Most of them seem to say to first boil the coon to get rid of the grease, then bake it or whatever.

So far I've managed to keep the freezer pretty full of feral pork, so 'coon cookin' will have to wait.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/12/17 02:26 PM

You can have any coons that were reserved for me.
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/15/17 10:41 PM

I've lost count of the BBQ raccoon number I have had. Must be cooked right or it is too greasy to even consider. Had a neighbor that ran his dogs 2-3 x week. Usually came home with 6-10 coons. All he really wanted was the fur, but did keep a lot of the carcasses to supplement his dog food. I tried to get a few coon carcasses each month to make a meal off.
Posted By: gogburn

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/19/17 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Reggie
A good friend of my wifes wanted a coon so I trapped her one. I would not eat it but she was happy as hell to get it. She was a older lady and grew up dirt poor in Mississippi and said it reminded her of her childhood. I told her spam did the samething for me and I wanted no parts of it either barf

My mother ate so much Spam during the Great Depression, she wouldn't allow it in the house when I was growing up.
Posted By: Beckett

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/19/17 08:59 PM

Buzzards and coyotes won't eat coons we shoot at the feeder. That tells me something...........
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/22/17 03:31 AM

I think I ate some at the last Taco Bell?
Posted By: Erny

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/22/17 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Beckett
Buzzards and coyotes won't eat coons we shoot at the feeder. That tells me something...........

Your buzzards and yotes will not eat raccoon? Hmmmm
Posted By: Erny

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/22/17 03:51 AM

I know some people who swear by it. They boil it with seasoning and than put it on a smoker. I personally have never had it, but certainly would give it a chance.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/22/17 05:05 AM

I shot 2 hogs and a raccoon once and hauled them down to the hog graveyard. Hogs were gone in 2 days and as far as I could tell nothing touched the raccoon. I'm not about to eat hogs or coons.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/23/17 10:07 PM

cheers

I found it more like pulled pork but know what you sayin
depends on who did the pulling
Posted By: NockedUp

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/26/17 10:11 PM

I sold 'coon in the late 80's for $5. I sold them in the late 90's and around 2005 for $10. I think $10 is a fair price for the effort. Buyers always wanted the back feet left on them. One said it was so she could tell I wasn't selling her a house cat!!!!
Posted By: petxs1

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/27/17 04:53 AM

I tried it by accident one time. I found out as I was eating it, it along with some opossum and dumplings, was "cooked up" for the dogs. Sure, I felt stupid. Not so good, but it was better than the opossum!
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/27/17 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: taterpop
I had a friend that that lost his lower legs in a car accident,being a coon hunter he every year would ask me for a coon for his mother to cook for him.One day he brought me some and along with it was a recipe on cooking it from his mother.I don't remember just how it went something like boil the coon in water with black pepper and salt then remove the coon from the boil, and place it in a pan, put sweet taters around the coon, sprinkle crust red pepper on the coon and bake for 40 minutes with foil covering the coon,take the coon out of the oven,remove the foil,and have no mercy!

I've had it with sweet potatoes and bar-b-que. Loved the bar-b-que. Threw up right after I ate it. But it tasted great. The one baked with sweet potatoe was dry, cause it had been freezer burned. But it tasted good, too. My cousin hunts a few times a week and sells all he can get as soon as he gets home. I'll kill the next one I see and eat it, too.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/27/17 05:13 PM

The folks that won't try it probably eat hot dogs all the time. Now that's gross.

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/27/17 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
The folks that won't try it probably eat hot dogs all the time. Now that's gross.

That's the truth! Wasn't there a story about a year ago where some lab analyzed a bunch of different brands of hotdogs and found human DNA in a lot of them?

Edit: Here's the story with video. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/26/report-human-dna-found-hot-dogs/74617102/

I'd rather eat coon any day.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/27/17 11:22 PM

Coon tastes way better, anyway. People or so goofy.
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: Raccoon Meat... its whats for Dinner! - 01/29/17 01:45 AM

Wife says I will eat anything that doesn't eat me first. I'll try anything at least once. Hot dog story makes me want to swear off them
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum