Texas Hunting Forum

Where do you shoot your hogs?

Posted By: Muskyhunter1

Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/12/09 09:29 AM

Head or chest?

They say they are really hard to kill with a chest shot because their vitials are right behind the front legs.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted By: helomech

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/12/09 09:37 AM

Which ever I have the best shot at. I have not had one go more than 20 yards with a chest shot yet. Most fall DRT, especially since I switched to the hornady light mag SST's for the .30-06.

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/12/09 09:57 AM

.223 behind the ear.......bang, flop!

Posted By: Reverendbiker

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/12/09 05:25 PM

Quote:

.223 behind the ear.......bang, flop!

+1 It's not as small a target as it sounds, and I never have one run off.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/12/09 05:30 PM

head

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/12/09 07:11 PM

Neck (if they are stationary & not running) that way they are DRT PLUS if they have a good enough skull to keep, its not all shot up. If they dont have a skull worth keeping, head shot is next.

If you are bow hunting, IF you can wait until they are slightly quartering AWAY from you, you can sneak that arrow in behind the 1 leg & into the vitals.

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/12/09 09:45 PM

Head (ear) or neck, if those aren't available..the next best shot I can get!

Posted By: Jason Fry

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 01:41 AM

I usually shoot them behind the shoulder, or behind the ear. Maggie's right, can sneak that arrow right in there

Posted By: ggunn1

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 02:29 AM

basically anywhere with a 150 gr core lokt 7mm gonna drop him in his tracks

Posted By: ggunn1

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 02:37 AM

basically anywhere from the neck ears back.. with a 150 core lokt 7mm he is gonna drop in his tracks

Posted By: Mr. 2 Million

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 02:38 AM

base of head and after they drop wait a bit usually the rest come right back , i shot 4 in 20 minutes that way

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 02:41 AM

behind ear or head,core-lok a nd down for the count.

Posted By: Redneck Messiah

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 03:03 AM

anywhere between the nose and the tail!!!!

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 03:47 AM

I shoot all of mine at the lease. couldn't resist

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 04:28 AM

Behind the ear drops em!

Posted By: Muskyhunter1

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 05:49 PM

Thanks folks,

The place I was hunting only wanted them shot in the head because they didn't want them crawling back into the cactus and dying. I was hoping on getting a skull to bleach. Took my Javelina with a lung shot and dropped it in it's tracks with the 243 Win - 100 grain Rem. So I have a nice skull from it to do up.

Oh well, hopefully next time I come down.

Musky

Posted By: RedneckRebel

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/13/09 08:53 PM

Right where they are standing.

Posted By: 1tex

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/14/09 02:31 AM

Hopefully at Rat and Maggies place lmao!

Posted By: tc/encore

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/14/09 03:34 AM

Option #1 Earhole.

Option #2 Anywhere in the Pig, worst case it slows them down for a follow up.

Option #3 High in the arse, usually clips the spine good enough to go whack em with the pistol in the head.

Posted By: jeff@1

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/14/09 08:35 AM

i just hold low right behind the shoulder w/ my 300 H&H (220's)

missed some earlier this year from my scope not being sighted in, but dropped the last one in his tracks

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/15/09 02:30 AM

Quote:

i just hold low right behind the shoulder w/ my 300 H&H (220's)

missed some earlier this year from my scope not being sighted in, but dropped the last one in his tracks

Just a helpful hint--Low and right behind the shoulder is a good aim point for most big game, but it's a gut shot on a hog. With the cannon you're firing you might get away with it on most hogs, but I'll almost guarantee you'll have to track a few. Veteran hog hunters will tell you that the preferred shot is in the neck, just in FRONT of the shoulder: Here's a great explanation from an expert-
Hog Anatomy

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/15/09 07:11 PM

45-70 and 402 grains of lead, and it doesn't really matter where you hit um!

Posted By: zedervatz

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/15/09 09:52 PM

Shoot 'em in the head, there're dead and the meat is lead free. My son shot at one facing him and the 100 grain 243 bullet glanced off the skull. Best to shoot them where the neck joins the head from a broadside shot.

Leadbottom

Posted By: Matt M

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/16/09 06:39 AM

Quote:

45-70 and 402 grains of lead, and it doesn't really matter where you hit um!

+1

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/16/09 07:08 AM

Hes a long ways from being an expert.

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/16/09 04:59 PM

Quote:

Hes a long ways from being an expert.

Yeah, maybe I got carried away. But at least he took the time to illustrate exactly where the hog's vital organs are located. That's why a shot that will provide a DRT kill on a whitetail deer may result in a gut-shot pig--the heart and lungs are more forward.
Several years ago I shot my first pig with a .264 Winchester magnum, 140-gr bullet--a combination that has provided many 1-shot kills on big desert mulies. I hit the pig just behind the shoulder, and it rolled him over. As I left the blind to check out the damage I was shocked to see him scramble to his feet and run off at full speed. I found him the next day a couple of hundred yards away. Lesson learned--only head/neck shots for me now.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/16/09 05:27 PM

Anywhere I can!

Posted By: TxLobo

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/16/09 06:00 PM

Only head and neck shots for me. I've had them go down when shot in other places but 1/2 the time they'll run away on you if you don't get 'em in the head or neck.

I shot a sow recently that was a behind the shoulders shot (not what I intended...) and she went down. When I got about 20 feet from her, I realized she was very much alive and just sitting there quiet. I pulled out my .45 and shot her between the eyes and to my great surprise, she got up and ran! She only got about 30 feet then stopped again and another round from the .45 ended it.

To sum it up, make your first shot count, use caution on your approach, be sure it's down before getting too close.

My .02 cents.

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/16/09 06:31 PM

at my deer lease usually!!!

Posted By: Mconner

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/17/09 02:41 AM

Quote:

Anywhere I can!

Sometimes even in the arse.

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/17/09 03:02 AM

I have had a PERFECT broadside shot on a 150lb(ish) pig before..nail him right behind the shoulder, he falls over like a stack of bricks...5 seconds later he starts to get up & I put 1 more in his head. I have ALSO busted one in the face(looking at me head on) & he fell over & got back up & I had to put another in his neck to keep him down.

It all depends on the pig but head or neck are the best...like I mentioned(If you want to keep the head) neck is best then.

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/17/09 04:01 AM

Yes head shots and maybe neck shots if just right but no matter have a follow up shot ready at all times.

Posted By: BuckandBassRanch

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/18/09 06:55 AM

Yep...

slightly quartering away is best for arrow placement!
Just like this one.

Posted By: NathanY

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/18/09 07:37 AM

There was a good article in the Lone Star Outdoor News about shot placement on hogs on page 12. As for me, strictly head shots. If I hit em they fall, if I miss, they walk. I dont miss many.

Posted By: B-swit

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 02/18/09 08:29 AM

head

Posted By: boarcreeknick

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/21/09 01:48 AM

Just advised 16 hunters here at the ranch to pop'em where an ear ring would be located. Has worked pretty good for 16 years here. Also, howdy all.

Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/21/09 02:15 AM

Anywhere you can get a bullet in em

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/21/09 02:45 AM

I rarely shoot more than one while on stand per year and it is always about a 120-150lb sow..and she gets shot somewhere in the head (all depends on angle)and mixed in w/ deer meat to make link sausage.... the rest get shot where ever b/c its usually with a 22mag or 223 as they are haulin' it across hayfields.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/21/09 02:55 AM

in general i just shoot the hog, usually go for the shoulder, as long as it dies im happy, now if im sittng in a deer stand and the pig is still, still a shoulder shot i guess, ive never shot one in the shoulder and seen it run very far off.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/21/09 08:20 AM

head. easy as pie

Posted By: Beer_Slayer

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/21/09 06:47 PM

Quote:

Just advised 16 hunters here at the ranch to pop'em where an ear ring would be located. Has worked pretty good for 16 years here. Also, howdy all.

That there is good advice! Welcome to the forum!

Posted By: cajundave

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/22/09 09:59 PM

Quote:

Yep...

slightly quartering away is best for arrow placement!
Just like this one.

yep! But when I'm with my 7mag, anywhere.

Posted By: DrPerry

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/23/09 09:31 PM

mostly in Breckenridge

Posted By: KBTXHunter

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/26/09 07:54 PM

In the hog part.

Posted By: wildsidetaxi

Re: Where do you shoot your hogs? - 03/28/09 05:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree also, very good advice! Depending on the size of them, you have to avoid their sheild.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum