Texas Hunting Forum

Hogs in the heat of the day

Posted By: Jase

Hogs in the heat of the day - 07/31/15 02:33 PM

I was wandering around on my lease yesterday afternoon and spooked up 3 hogs who were hanging out in one of the tanks. Shocked me to see them running around when it was 102 outside. Figured they'd be purely nocturnal at this time of year.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 07/31/15 02:55 PM

They got hot and went for a swim or mud bath.

With hogs and many animals, you can't think in absolutes like "purely nocturnal." They may be primarily nocturnal, but if they get too hot where they are, regardless of the time of day, they need to cool down.
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 07/31/15 02:58 PM

I have seen them in the middle of the day rooting around in the woods when it was 100. They do what they want just like people
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 07/31/15 05:00 PM

I've jumped pigs at tanks several times on very hot days.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 07/31/15 05:46 PM

Good way to hunt. Right now with 100° heat good water holes will produce better than a feeder.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 08/01/15 02:36 AM

I would be paying attention to water tanks during the heat of the day. I've seen many snoozing during daytime in the mud.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 08/01/15 03:24 AM

Ive shot countless hogs with acc 360 and 100 grain broad head while sleeping in a mud hole. When they wake up with an arrow in them, sometimes they don't even know whats going on. up
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 08/01/15 12:05 PM

Yagh, hogs will be seen around water in the heat... Creeks, streams, rivers, watering holes,ponds, lakes, & around up rooted trees in bottom land... Pig skin doesnt breath, reason they use it for footballs... flag
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Hogs in the heat of the day - 08/01/15 03:56 PM

Water holes are great during the summer day. They are unpredictable as I have seen boars in row crop in the middle of the day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum