Texas Hunting Forum

Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ?

Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/15/15 08:02 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DJI-Phantom-2-Quadcopter-Drone/2050296.uts?No=0&destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D671030280

Wire up a caller and fly it beyond ordinary remote range to the far woodline and slowly (quietly) draw them in to you from afar....

Think you know where the bedding area is? Why stalk on foot - take a peek from above!

Must all be legal discussion here - thanks !
Posted By: customcutter

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/15/15 09:12 PM

I'm still trying to save up my pennies for thermal...But can't say I haven't wondered about this.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/15/15 10:32 PM

I think the best use would be to locate your prey and then drive the prey to your location?? This would allow one to drive the BMW to the gate, shoot, and come home without any walking, inclement weather issues, or any wasted time waiting in a blind.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/15/15 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I think the best use would be to locate your prey and then drive the prey to your location?? This would allow one to drive the BMW to the gate, shoot, and come home without any walking, inclement weather issues, or any wasted time waiting in a blind.

dam, you're no fun! roflmao
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/15/15 11:34 PM

I am going to check into legality for overflights of our duck lakes, would be nice to see from above what is goin on.

pigs too. I have a couple of sounders that are over 25 hogs ea. and would really like to know where one of them is bedding down.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/15/15 11:53 PM

My brother just got one. He is hoping to find an axis heard that had eluded him for some time.
I think using one for spotting hogs would be fun. If you could ambush a sounder bedded down, fun!
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/16/15 04:12 AM

Im getting one to test for daytime spotting and filming. After trying one out last weekend I think you can safely fly above and film the stalk and shooting without disturbing them. With a mile range for transmitting hd video I can also see sending one out to check several feeders from the gate without leaving the "BMW". I will be limiting it to daytime use only just cant see risking the loss of a thermal on one yet.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/16/15 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: hopalong
I am going to check into legality for overflights of our duck lakes, would be nice to see from above what is goin on.

pigs too. I have a couple of sounders that are over 25 hogs ea. and would really like to know where one of them is bedding down.

Hopefully we will see how Thermal does on 6/26 aim Wonder if you can attach a Thermal scope to the Drone? Then we could find bigfoot too!!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/16/15 09:53 PM

(snip) This would allow one to drive the BMW to the gate, shoot, and come home without any walking, inclement weather issues, or any wasted time waiting in a blind.

If I get hog's blood on the wife's Beemer, I'm a dead man. I think that I'll keep hunting the old-fashioned way. You know, with suppressed AR10s and AR15s, Gen 3 night vision, and thermal gear.

wink
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/17/15 01:12 AM

That would suck the fun right out of life! grin

The truth be told, I am just jealous because I don't own a BMW. confused2
Posted By: hetman

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/17/15 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Texaslawman
With a mile range for transmitting hd video .

what kind of camera & Tx/RX do you need to do this? is there a kit with copter & TX/RX /camera all ready to go.

how much trouble is it to switch over from flying RC planes to flying the quad?

I see you can set altitude hold & can you make it fly waypoints like feeder to feeder and back? or a programed path thru a area
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/21/15 02:38 AM

I predict in the future these will also be used for hunter harassment by anti hunting groups. That is if they haven't already.

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/21/15 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
I predict in the future these will also be used for hunter harassment by anti hunting groups. That is if they haven't already.

Easily fixed in my neck of the woods. They will need a bunch of them. I do see your point, could be a problem.
Posted By: deereguy

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/21/15 12:39 PM

I thought about getting one. After reading about crashes due to hardware or software issues I decided to pass.
Posted By: IamMr2

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/22/15 04:46 AM

Skeet!

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 02:24 PM

Maybe on public land but the ammo is a lot cheaper than drones. If they start doing that I see me having a bunch of drone spare parts.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 02:26 PM

Eventually they will just mount the gun on the drone
Posted By: rborn

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: IamMr2

Skeet!

Yes Sir!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 04:10 PM

I'm largely from the "shoot them down" crowd as well. Best keep your scouting over on your side of the fence.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I'm largely from the "shoot them down" crowd as well. Best keep your scouting over on your side of the fence.

hmmmm you shoot at helicopters that fly over your place too?
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

I see a difference between a chopper and a drone - but I am also biased by likely intent. I am seeing a chopper used for aerial surveying and general transportation and thus governed by the FAA. The drone I see as a potential new scouting/hunting tool and is personal property and not governed by a federal agency, although the feds are chomping at the bit to clamp down on their use.

It is going to be fun to watch the legal arguments coming out of this new technology.

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: IamMr2

Skeet!

You are reading my mind.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/23/15 05:36 PM

I've had one for almost a year now. The DJI is high quality and has lots of features...like 1080 hd, GPS, return home if battery gets low, autopilot for programming way points and altitudes, 25 minute flying time. I keep mine within my property lines (survey coordinates) and if one is flying over my place it will be shot at and downed if I can hit it. The darn things can go to 4000 ft

Re: Now that Cabelas carries DRONES how do you see it fitting into your hog or varmint hunting arsenal ? - 06/24/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

I think he is referring to drones used to harass hunters and game not in general. At least I hope.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum