Texas Hunting Forum

Is this a coyote?

Posted By: Captain Luke

Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 05:55 PM

If I see this nice looking dog, I'm not going to try too hard to find where it came from. Actually I just hope it found its way back home. The nearest place it could have come from is over three miles away.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 06:04 PM

No collar, is a canine, looks like a coyote to me up

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 06:05 PM

Haha. He's probably worth more to me at the Pulga.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 06:35 PM

Actually a really good looking dog. Looks like a boxer.

Poor guy is probably lost, but of course, take no chances unless he hops up wagging that stump of a tail and lays down at your feet begging for his belly to be scratched.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 06:40 PM

Don't shoot that dog. He belongs with people. Rescue him, friend for life.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 06:43 PM

For the most part, I have never run across a dog problem, but there are a lot of so-called owners of dogs that are people problems.

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 06:54 PM

Other than they look big and tuff and mean what makes a boxer a good looking dog?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 07:03 PM

Boxers are cool dogs, neat personalities usually. Now the three 1/2 Boxer-1/2 Rottweiler devils that live next to me are ugly, insane, bada$$ only when your back is turned, worthless excuses for dogs that have diminished the enjoyment of our yard quite a bit. The neighbor's grown son just had to have them. He has severe, what I call, "macho validation issues".

Hope you enjoy your new pooch!
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 07:15 PM

Yep, that is a boxer

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 07:35 PM

I would never shoot that dog (unless of course he was crazy or rabid.) What I originally meant was that I'd bring him home if I couldn't find the owner.

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 07:41 PM

I predict that you will have a good buddy for life. Bring him home.

Put some food and water out for him.

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
I would never shoot that dog (unless of course he was crazy or rabid.) What I originally meant was that I'd bring him home if I couldn't find the owner.

Just keep him in yals part of Duval Co. He looks like a coyote in our part.

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Just keep him in yals part of Duval Co. He looks like a coyote in our part.

You sounding more like a red neck today...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 08:42 PM

If he's friendly, turn him over to a Boxer rescue or keep him.

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 08:44 PM

I hope I see him again, but he's either back to his home or dead.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 09:09 PM

Dog does not look that lost or like he was dumped out at your gate. He is to slick and fat to be far from food or home. Do you have any hunters that hunt next door that might have been down for a few days?

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 09:41 PM

Question, do people care more about this dog because it is a "pretty desirable boxer" than if it was a chow, lab, mut etc?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/08/15 10:27 PM

Question, do people care more about this dog because it is a "pretty desirable boxer" than if it was a chow, lab, mut etc?

I wouldn't care about breed. If it was a sweet dog, I'd rather find a home for it than kill it.
Posted By: BigRon

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/09/15 01:15 AM

To each his own. Had a supposedly well bred boxer years ago and will never have another. She was an escape artist and a runner. Could climb any no-climb fence out there. Could dig out. Went through electric fences and invisible fencing at will. She would just yelp while going through at top speed. Had our number on her collar so I'd get a call a few miles away and go get her.

Could not seem to break her from chasing people's livestock. She did not mean any harm, just wanted to play. I was driving home one afternoon and saw her chasing the neighbor's calf around. Put her down that night and told the kids she must have ran away. Have since talked to other Boxer owners and the escaping and chasing are apparently common. YMMV.
Posted By: 1chevypickup

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/09/15 06:16 PM

That's a good looking boxer. They are great dogs usually.
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/09/15 07:15 PM

My Dad and his coyote hunting buddies who had coyote hounds used to get their hounds shot by deer hunters every deer season.
Some real bad feuds occured at times because of the hound killing.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/09/15 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I wouldn't care about breed. If it was a sweet dog, I'd rather find a home for it than kill it.

yup. ive never thought of boxers as mean looking either, every one ive ever known was goofy as **** fun dogs. ive rescued a few deer lease dogs over the years.
Posted By: kmkellar

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/09/15 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

^^^ I'm a dog lover.
Posted By: Matt1023

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/10/15 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: BigRon
To each his own. Had a supposedly well bred boxer years ago and will never have another. She was an escape artist and a runner. Could climb any no-climb fence out there. Could dig out. Went through electric fences and invisible fencing at will. She would just yelp while going through at top speed. Had our number on her collar so I'd get a call a few miles away and go get her.

Could not seem to break her from chasing people's livestock. She did not mean any harm, just wanted to play. I was driving home one afternoon and saw her chasing the neighbor's calf around. Put her down that night and told the kids she must have ran away. Have since talked to other Boxer owners and the escaping and chasing are apparently common. YMMV.

Really...am I understanding this correctly, that you just straight up killed her?
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/10/15 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt1023
Originally Posted By: BigRon

Really...am I understanding this correctly, that you just straight up killed her?

I think you understood him correctly, he done away with her. It was his dog, she was causing undue trouble. It wasn't abuse or torture. She was his. What I can't take is people killing other people's dogs/hounds that they simply don't like being on a property or deer lease.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/10/15 03:07 AM

One of our neighbors shot one of our Pyrennes guard dogs that was on his place. Dog was likely trailing vermin of some sort. It was a little hard to swallow but the dog WAS off our place.
Posted By: Desert Coyote

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/12/15 10:51 PM

Thanks.

Re: Is this a coyote? - 05/13/15 03:58 PM

No problem.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum