Texas Hunting Forum

My Brothers first rabbit hunt

Posted By: SwampHunterFw

My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/10/14 12:56 AM

Well I took my brother on his first rabbit hunt today

I still just have the one dog Doc I bought from Ed Belding a few months back he has been doing great for me thanks again Ed

Anyway the first rabbit was a work out getting him , most because the terrain he kept staying in was not so shooter friendly an my brother not ever been rabbit hunting before the positioning was taking some work , well doc ran him about an hour before my brother got a shot on him

The rest of the day got a lot better!

After that we soon got on another bunny an I can't remember who killed it but we just keep getting on rabbits an we're doing pretty good hunting a different type of terrain then me an the dog are used to in some spots,

I ended up killing 5 an my brother killed 3 , all were ran around to the gun except one I jumped while doc was off running one an he tried to sneak out of a briar patch I was standing beside

Most races were about 15-20 min had a great day , an my brother is ready ordering him some briar chaps haha

If any body has a good female beagle to sell close to Texas let me know

My brothers first rabbit

Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/10/14 02:00 AM

cheers flag
Posted By: txdogman

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/10/14 02:21 AM

Dang! I've got to try that! Looks and sounds like a blast. Post some video of the race if you have them. How big an area do they usually cover?
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/10/14 08:26 AM

TX, I'd rather rabbit hunt than ANYTHING else. Even if I don't intend to kill. Try it and you'll be hooked, too. As far as how far they run, it's up to the rabbit. Some stay "close" I'd say about a 1/4 mile circle and keep circling close to where they were jumped. Some get up and leave the country. My uncle once told me that those were the ones that had escaped being caught by coyotes. Either way, it's a blast!

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/10/14 01:47 PM

Just like beagles said , they don't run to far most of the time
We prolly killed all of these in side 150 acres

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/11/14 06:54 AM

Swamp, that dog looks just like my boy Blazer. He was a field trial reject that I got for 50 bucks. I brought him home and put him with my pack and he fell right in with my "hunting dogs". I took him out with my girl "Belle" and they ran one so long and hard that he was stiff when I shot him from lactic acid build up. I think I did him a favor by killing him, cause they were on him hard.
Love that red tipped tail! 7 ran to the gun...That boy put in some work! I'd say he's a keeper!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/11/14 02:10 PM

clap
Posted By: AggieHunter2014

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/11/14 02:28 PM

good shootin!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/13/14 03:20 AM

how do beagles do in the house?

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/13/14 09:51 PM

Beagler , Ya he is pretty good little dog , just need to find one to help him out a little

No idea how beagles do in house mines not a house dog
Posted By: duckdown

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/14/14 03:31 AM

Good looking hound. It's alot of fun hunting rabbits with beagles. Do u do any field trialing?

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/14/14 04:09 AM

Mine weren't house dogs either. I have heard of them being good in the house. But we had too many. Duck I was gonna recommend that he PM you to see if you could help him out with a good female.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/14/14 05:12 AM

Dang, y'all did great! I love rabbit hunting, most I have ever gotten was 3 though.

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/14/14 04:26 PM

I only have went to one feild trial I will send you a PM duck
[/URL
[URL=http://s980.photobucket.com/user/JoDan20/media/D772CB65-2710-4A5C-B397-A6D135255D82_zpsblgfd7o2.jpg.html]
Posted By: duckdown

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/19/14 02:35 AM

He's a good built little hound.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/19/14 02:12 PM

that's on my bucket list
Posted By: Leverage

Re: My Brothers first rabbit hunt - 11/26/14 08:30 AM

Now this brings back memories....!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum