Texas Hunting Forum

Put one down

Posted By: J.R.

Put one down - 09/26/14 02:25 PM

Went to check that all was in place for Saturday's opening, and stuck around to see if I could disrupt the hogs a bit. Exactly as darkness set in, the woods came alive & 7 identically sized sows came in. The 45-70 did its job on the quartering-to shot, DRT. (This is my second hog with that gun/caliber, and I'm becoming a big fan of it. Man, it really knocks 'em out of their tracks.) I'm thinking this sow may have been barren, as she bore no signs of ever having given birth or nursing. She had nearly 2" of fat all over her, and was the cleanest feral hog I've ever cleaned. No ticks, fleas, mud, cactus thorns...so clean she appeared pen-raised. I think she's going to eat well.

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Put one down - 09/26/14 02:40 PM

Nice!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Put one down - 09/26/14 03:22 PM

I don't really know why, but all the sows that I shoot that appear really clean and fat, almost like a domestic always turn out to be bred when I gut them.

Oh and nice hog, brother got a 45-70 lever gun this year, im looking forward to shooting something with it since he said I can borrow it banana
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Put one down - 09/27/14 12:56 AM

The first hogs I took were with a .45-70. I think it is an outstanding gun for hogs, maybe not for long range hogs so much, but for distances most folks shoot, it is outstanding. The only problem with it (for me) is that most NV/thermal isn't rated to handle the recoil.

Great job and nice hog!
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Put one down - 09/27/14 01:06 AM

Hell yes
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Put one down - 09/27/14 01:33 AM

up Sweet!
Posted By:

Re: Put one down - 09/27/14 01:56 AM

J.R., I'm digging your sigline. I'm a huge Dark Tower Fanatic.

Chupa
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Put one down - 09/27/14 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: J.R.
I think she's going to eat well.

I don't think she is going to eat at all... rofl

Congrats on the hog... I have also used the .45-70 on hogs. Like DNS said, it is a great hog gun for the distances most folks shoot. I wish more night vision were rated for it... up
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Put one down - 09/27/14 07:34 PM

Sweet
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Put one down - 09/27/14 09:13 PM

Beautiful piggy!! I know everyone hates em but I love em!!
Posted By: truenorthoutdoors_tx

Re: Put one down - 09/28/14 12:03 PM

I always wanted a lever action 45-70, maybe in the future!
Posted By: n-all

Re: Put one down - 09/28/14 01:30 PM

yes sir.........
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Put one down - 09/29/14 08:43 AM

Durn, probably one of those new Tx A&M clean piggies and you shot the breeder. food
Posted By: passthru

Re: Put one down - 09/29/14 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Durn, probably one of those new Tx A&M clean piggies and you shot the breeder. food

No, he said she hadn't been breeding. Good kill bud. Keep it up.
Posted By: swellcat

Re: Put one down - 10/01/14 02:56 PM

Quote:
Beautiful piggy!! . . . I love em!!

Yep. Kind of a nice buckskin coat on that animal, too. I'd be tanning that one with an eye toward moccasins, an arrow quiver, or something.
____
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum