Texas Hunting Forum

YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER

Posted By: jrpbullrider

YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/14/14 08:31 PM

It took a while but I think I have found out where the hogs are I moved the trap about a half a mile away and I got three in the trap and found 2 near by They ran when I can by and I got them with my ar 15 on the run it took me 8 shots to get all 5 of them too many rounds but I got them.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: YEA MY SPELL IS OVER - 08/14/14 08:32 PM

Nicely done. Looks like you will be high on the hog for a while.
Posted By: bradyf

Re: YEA MY SPELL IS OVER - 08/14/14 09:47 PM

nice.looks like a good time
Posted By: Jhop

Re: YEA MY SPELL IS OVER - 08/14/14 11:45 PM

Good deal. Did you move it close to some water?
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: YEA MY SPELL IS OVER - 08/15/14 12:07 AM

Keep up the good work
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/15/14 12:32 AM

Congrats

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/15/14 12:57 AM

The trap was about the same dist from water at both sites. I moved it to the far side of the property, it looks like I found were the hogs are walking thru. When the trap was at the other place I would hunt the other side (about where it is now) now that the trap has been moved I was going to hunt where it was. What I don't know is why both sides have water, food, and heavy cover. But they liked this side better, and I don't really care, glad I found some. All 5 hogs are cut up and on ice for 3 days then going to go on my bbq pit. They will will be cooked over a low fire with mesquite, oak, and a little bit of pecan. for about 10 to 12 hours.
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/15/14 01:49 AM

why the ice for 3 days ??
i always just freeze them or put them on grill some times i throw then in brine for 24 hours before cooking
Posted By: StretchR

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/15/14 02:41 AM

Not a real expert, but soaking in ice water for a few days (draining and adding ice as needed) seems to reduce any gaminess. Last summer we had a pretty good sized boar, about 250 pounds, and we were able to use pretty much everything after an icy soak of a few days. No noticeable off or gamy flavor. Seems to work for smaller pigs too.

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/15/14 02:20 PM

I cut up and ice all that I can in a cooler. I soak it in ice water for three days draining out water a few times a day then add more ice. By the way when I soak them in ice water I add diff. things to the water diff. kind of spices it seems to soak in the meat so I do not have to add too much when cooking. Like StretchR said it helps get all of the gaminess out of the hog and it is better from what I can tell. You can cut it up 1st or just gut and skin it then ice then cut it up works both way for me.
Posted By: deerdude2000

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/18/14 01:19 AM

Soaking works!!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/20/14 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: jrpbullrider
I got them with my ar 15 on the run it took me 8 shots to get all 5 of them too many rounds but I got them.

And that's the main thing — you got 'em !!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/20/14 01:46 PM

Awsome - bet that was a lot of knife work . . .
The eats will be worth it though.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/20/14 03:05 PM

cheers like pappy always says: proof tis in the pudding while i's been out thar wondering about the woods, pudding one foot in front of de udder. i've ended up with the agony of de-feet. me tennes worn out, de plumbers glue doesn't hold up. & all i've ended up with is a skunk. whin hunten on over a 1000 acres ya needs good spelling ta bees sucsessful, i'm just a loafer. back right place right time helps me out a lot flag
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: YEA MY DRY SPELL IS OVER - 08/21/14 01:37 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum