Texas Hunting Forum

Coon trap help

Posted By: hookemhorns

Coon trap help - 06/05/14 02:20 AM

Just bought 2 duke dp traps. Never tried to trap before. Are there any suggestions for bait to put in it or setup suggestions. I plan to setup near feeders I have some record book coons on camera that need to stop eating my protein.
Posted By: Chuck P

Re: Coon trap help - 06/05/14 03:09 AM

Sardines.
Posted By: PWT

Re: Coon trap help - 06/05/14 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck P
Sardines.

That what I usually use, I've used peanut butter and small marshmallows that worked as well.
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Coon trap help - 06/05/14 05:58 AM

Ants are gonna cover you up if you use fish this time of year, I you use a fish bait set em right before dark and should be fine, other wise use a sweet concoction of some sort
Posted By: East texas deer hunter

Re: Coon trap help - 06/05/14 10:15 AM

sardines and a little corn, ants will have it covered up
Posted By: Beckett

Re: Coon trap help - 06/05/14 11:22 PM

Froot Loops - Not messy and Coons love them!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Coon trap help - 06/05/14 11:40 PM

Dry dog food, mini marsh-mellows, corn, milo, sardines, fish flavored cat food or aluminum foil in the bottom of the trap. If you have fire ants you might have to bait later in the afternoon closer to dark. I take a cheap 10 cent pack of kool-aid and mix it into a quart of water. I will put just a small portion over the bait if I think it needs more scent. I have also sprayed the fish flavored fish attractant over a dry bait also.
Posted By: eyedoc

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 02:24 AM

jack mackerel is usually much cheaper than sardines and works as well, can easily catch up to 20 off one can, keep an old screw top plastic peanut butter container and keep your jack mack in it in the back of your truck and it will last for several weeks, another good bait is to buy some fish oil from a trapping supply and pour it over some cheap dry cat food, put it in a plastic container and it will last for months, and for about $12 total you can catch probably over 100 coons using about a spoonful to bait your dp, this is what most of your big Midwest coon trappers use that catch 500-1000 during trapping season, a lot of times up to 100/night
Posted By: 25-06

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 02:28 AM

Paint Em white and put them on a trail or near water.fill with dry dog food and start catching tgem. Oh and don't forget to anchor em. wink
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 02:32 AM

We buy a lot of floating catfish food, and I noticed that every evening the coons cleaned up any that was still on the dock. So I tried it in the coon trap. Worked great. The coons love that stuff, and since I buy it in 50 pound bags, it'll last a while. And dry cat food also works great. That's what I used when we lived in suburban Houston. The coons would come into the garage through the cat door and eat the food and often chew up my cats. So I got a trap. They loved that cat food. Caught my cat one time too. He looked totally embarrassed, I swear.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 04:04 PM

I take a large marshmallow and drizzle the juice of a can of vienna sausages or sardines over it after it is in the trap.

Coons hit it pretty fast after that!

Russ
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 06:48 PM

Reeses cocoa puffs, poor a little beer (or any other liquid, but for some reason I always seem to have beer on me when I set them) to soften it up and dispense more smell. No Joke.

Have had more luck with them than any kind of fish or Marsh mellows.
Posted By: Mfuertes

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 07:32 PM

We've used the spare chicken fat off of the thighs when grilling at the ranch, worked like a charm and had four the next morning.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: PWT
.. peanut butter and small marshmallows that worked as well.

Simple and works fine for me.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: hookemhorns
Just bought 2 duke dp traps. Never tried to trap before. Are there any suggestions for bait to put in it or setup suggestions. I plan to setup near feeders I have some record book coons on camera that need to stop eating my protein.

if they're coming for protein, bait 'em with protein.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Coon trap help - 06/06/14 09:52 PM

Get the big marshmellows and be sure to wedge real well under the lever... Marshmellows alone will get the job done..
Posted By: Chuck P

Re: Coon trap help - 06/07/14 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
They loved that cat food. Caught my cat one time too. He looked totally embarrassed, I swear.

LMBO. That is funny.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Coon trap help - 06/08/14 06:29 AM

They also like Sonic tater-tots. up
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Coon trap help - 06/08/14 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: driedmeat
Originally Posted By: hookemhorns

if they're coming for protein, bait 'em with protein.

Yup, it doesn't get much more simple than that. If they are at a corn feeder, we use corn, and catch them all of the time. Same for the protein feeders. We have caught 100s of them (lost count around 186) and we never had to go buy anything else.
Also on the back porch, where they come to the cat food, we put cat food in the trap.
It would seem to me that if they were raiding your pantry for the sardines that some would bate them with corn. That is when I would use sardines.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum