Texas Hunting Forum

Trapping Coyotes with foot traps

Posted By: PWT

Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 05/31/14 05:08 AM

I was just hoping for some insight before getting started, Books, DVD's, anything that might help a beginner.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 05/31/14 05:13 AM

Have ya tried youtube ?

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 05/31/14 05:44 AM

Yeah, I just thought Id ask on here. Im really looking for more than a 10 minute video. Thanks though!
Posted By: eyedoc

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/01/14 12:47 PM

mark June's coyote trapping videos are hands down the best, also lots of info in the archives section of trapperman.com, used to be a lot of good info on the forum there also, but all of the guys arguing politics have ran off most off the knowledgeable trappers

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/02/14 04:07 AM

Thanks eyedoc, I'll check that out
Posted By: kry226

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/02/14 11:26 AM

Like the OP, I've been wanting to get into trapping yotes and coons. Did the youtube thing, but very discouraged about the week's worth of extra work "needed" on traps to be successful...dying traps, boiling traps, waxing traps...replacing clips and chains, etc. Any trap-ready traps?
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/02/14 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
Like the OP, I've been wanting to get into trapping yotes and coons. Did the youtube thing, but very discouraged about the week's worth of extra work "needed" on traps to be successful...dying traps, boiling traps, waxing traps...replacing clips and chains, etc. Any trap-ready traps?

Just a part of trapping that needs to be done. Coyotes are a lot smarter than you think. Any chain or cable needs to be buried under or right next to trap. Need a base plate for that, if that coyote can smell what's in the hole or whatever you better believe he can smell some rusty metal. Just take the extra time to learn as much as you can before you start. Beats coming to constant refusals or dug up traps. Only way to really learn is to see it done and be told this is why you do this and that or learn from your mistakes one at a time until you start connecting. I've been puttin steel in the ground for about 12 years now an still learn new things all the time.

As for trap ready traps, most anything that comes "ready" is too weak in my opinion. Better to upgrade your equipment instead I loosing a $20 trap
Posted By: East texas deer hunter

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/04/14 02:07 AM

There are no trap ready traps. I use drags with tribble hook . Dye traps but do not wax. have caught lots of youtes

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/04/14 03:52 AM

MB 550's, run thru the dishwasher a couple times, to get off any oil/grease, dip in full metal jacket, let dry, then dip once more in full metal jacket and you have a trap ready to catch coyotes - I've caught hundreds and haven't dyed or waxed a trap in 30 years - dying/waxing is mainly for water trapping, dryland trapping it isn't necessary, very little tweaking needs done to mb 550's if any, I've got several dozen of them and have never had to make any adjustments to any yet - a lot of trappers don't like FMJ, mainly because it isn't good if the traps are used in the water, but it works great on dry land, have caught many coyotes next day after dipping them
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/04/14 04:05 AM

Had a government trapper tell me to put new traps in a creek or water trough for a few days to let them get a light coating of rust on them. If they get to bad I will power wash them off then put them back in water. It has worked for me. John Graham has a some great DVD's about trapping.

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/05/14 03:36 AM

I appreciate the feedback! up
Posted By: East texas deer hunter

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/05/14 10:19 AM

MB makes some good traps, maybe the best foot hold trap on market

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/05/14 01:09 PM

Hoofbeats of a Wolfer by Craig O'Gorman has a lot of good information but it is a tough read (he's a trapper, definitely not a writer), also Mark June's coyote book is very good, but June's videos are well worth the money, you can learn little tips/etc... that would have otherwise took 20 years experience - they are well worth the $40 if you really want to start catching some coyotes instead of educating them, also O'Gorman's lures/baits are hard to beat
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/06/14 02:37 AM

This'll get your blood flowing a little bit...

Posted By: ol smoke

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/08/14 02:06 PM

Mark June has recently moved to Texas. He usually does demos and sets up for business at Tx. Trappers and Fur Hunter Assn. rendevous. Coyote trappers from all over will be at Junction Tx mid-October.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Trapping Coyotes with foot traps - 06/08/14 02:38 PM

Back in the 70's when Dad use to catch a lot of yotes in Kansas. We would boil and die new traps, but what worked best was keeping youe scent away from the trapping site. We used baking soda and water to spray the traps and around the site. Guess what the first scent away products were? You guessed it, baking soda and water! Urine sets always out produced any other set. Urine from a yote 50 miles away, would always get the dominant yotes attention and would be their demise.

And, we did find one trap ready trap back in the late 70's/early 80's. I believe it was a #4 Norwood if memory serves me correctly. We still have some at the family farm and dad still breaks a few out every now and then to help with predator control.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum