Texas Hunting Forum

Rheostat Dimmer

Posted By: Green Timber

Rheostat Dimmer - 01/20/14 08:31 PM

Currently running a lightforce 170 off the cigarette light adapter in my high rack and am looking to install a dimmer. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/20/14 08:45 PM

How about an RV light dimmer installed prior to your cigarette lighter plug? Maybe something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-light-switch-...f4e&vxp=mtr
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/20/14 09:07 PM

It may take some surgery, but I think these are the droids you are looking for.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/243723F...CFclaMgod9UcAuQ
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/20/14 10:01 PM

Lightforce makes a dimmer. Wire it in directly to your light.....
Posted By: Cast

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/20/14 10:02 PM

That 170 draws 8.33 amps, so either dimmer may work, but I like gruff's better.
Posted By: Green Timber

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/20/14 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

You know anywhere that carries these? I saw it on their web page I believe if it's the BPS one you're refering to.
Posted By: Hard_ware

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/20/14 10:46 PM

Either dimmer should work, as long as the light is not HID or LED.
The dimmer needs a load like a bulb with a filament (standard bulb) not HID or LED.

The rheostat burns off energy as heat so the power that would have gone to the bulb is turned into heat.
You would need a rheostat that could handle the max current the bulb is drawing (watts) plus the resistance value to give you the range of dimming you want.
The dimmer is PWM (pulse width modulated) switched on and off very fast 20,000 times a second very common.
This will only send the light the current/voltage you want it to use, batteries will last much longer.
If its off 50% of the cycle you have 1/2 power, off 30% of the cycle you have 70% power, like a trolling motor speed control for your light.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/21/14 12:43 AM

I would just call them..... there is a company that makes a dimmer that is actually built directly into the light. Try tracerpower.com. I think you can find them there. There lights are probably around the cost of a lightforce dimmer...
Posted By: 6mm284

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/21/14 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Green Timber
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

You know anywhere that carries these? I saw it on their web page I believe if it's the BPS one you're refering to.

Allpredatorcalls.com carries the bps dimmer.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Rheostat Dimmer - 01/22/14 10:52 PM

Call larson electronics makers of the magnalight right here in the great state of Texas they will have a dimmer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum