Texas Hunting Forum

hog snare

Posted By: exitwound85

hog snare - 01/13/14 01:11 AM

Anybody have experience with snares? Going to set some on the fence row. They won't go in the traps.I'm going to use the ol trip wire and surgical tubing and try and gettem by the hoof. smirk
Posted By: jdw

Re: hog snare - 01/13/14 05:55 AM

Ive caught many hogs on snares using a 1/8" 1x7 cable. I always use a locking slide. They will be very alive when you check the snare. Anchor it to stout tree, pipe, object. Everything else will be destroyed and you will lose your hog.
Posted By: jdw

Re: hog snare - 01/13/14 06:05 AM

I dont set snares on fence lines because they will tear the fence up and you will have unhappy landowner. I set all all my snares for hogs or predators on a heavy trail with a rebar staked down next to the trail with heavy gauge wire that supports the snare over the trail. I try to put them in locations that I can blend them in with grass or trees. Loop size varies so much with hogs. Coyotes I like a loop 10" round and 10-12" off the ground. Beaver, 8-9 " loop and 2" off the ground.
Posted By: Old Goat

Re: hog snare - 02/07/14 04:08 PM

they are correct.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: hog snare - 02/07/14 04:10 PM

You can catch them on a fence but you have to do it right.. iv set them on game fencing and just clipped them onto the Tpost. You have to set the loop just big enough to snout them... if it goes over their head they will destroy the fence or break the snare... catch them by the snout and they will be sitting there waiting on you
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: hog snare - 02/07/14 04:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYlHcbtvfG0
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum