Texas Hunting Forum

Perferred Bullet

Posted By: cyberpyrot

Perferred Bullet - 12/12/13 02:27 PM

im looking for a solid performing 6.8spc round for taking hogs at 100 yards all im able to find at academy is the 110 gr v-max polymer tip.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/12/13 02:45 PM

The 300 Win Mag guys will be by shortly to tell you those won't work, but they will drop them. Just like all hunting; where you hit the animal is the most important aspect of the shot. I'm building a 6.8 myself and I plan to load the 85 grain Barnes for it because I don't like how much the larger bullets drop in the 6.8.

Ammo to Go shows Remington Soft Points and Federal Fusion in stock.
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/12/13 03:03 PM

yeah im looking for somthing that wont break up.
Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/12/13 03:36 PM

Not alot of fps behind the v max. I have yet to have a pass through, so I have retrieved most bullets. I still do not trust it, but it has killed every pig I have shot with it.

I shoot SSA through mine as well, its a sierra pro hunter bullet. Very effective.
Posted By: target1911

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/12/13 03:42 PM

100 or 110gr accubonds are proven and they down right work.

Remington gets ok accuracy at best.

I haven't heard much about the fusionquestionset.

In factory loads I only use Silver State Armory.

Also go to 68forums.com. there is a huge amount of info about different bullets, handloads and factory ammo. They have the answer to any question you could come up with.
Posted By: Land_Man

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/13/13 03:06 AM

I'm taking my new 6.8 with Fusion ammo out this next weekend. I'll let y'all know...
Posted By: pinkmist black hog down

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/13/13 12:11 PM

I use Remington and love it
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/13/13 01:29 PM

I run only handloads so your milage may vary....

I've used 85gr TSX, 95gr TTSX and 120gr SST on pigs out of my 6.8s using ARP and Bison Armory barrels.
Killed more with 95gr TTSX than anything and all were DRT.
Killed a 358 pound pig with a 120gr SST.

The 85gr TSX leaves the barrel at over 3K FPS and is quite good out to 300 or so yards with minimum drop.
The 95gr TTSX runs right at 3K and works well!
The 120gr SST runs a little over 2800 FPS and is the most accurate of the three out of my guns.

I generally get MOA or close out of all of them but my son (with much better eyes) has shot a couple of 5/8" 3 shot groups with the SSTs.

There are others that work but these work well for me on my intended target: Pigs!!!

The rest of the recipe is Remington brass bought new, CCI LRMPs and AA2200 powder.
I've also had great luck with RL10x powder.

Generally, I get a box of bullets, load them up to my proven recipes and shoot the whole batch, then move on.
As soon as I finish this batch of SSTs, I'm going back to the 95gr TTSX.

DO be aware that the solid copper bullets like TSX and TTSX foul the barrel differently and may spray the first 3 to 5 bullets until it fouls the barrel the way they like, then settle down to nice MOA groups.

I sight them in at 100 yards and take great pains to do so with a cold bore so the first shot is on.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/13/13 01:59 PM

I hand load for my 6.8 that I built. Right now I only load the 110 gr. V-Max and the 110 Sierra Pro Hunter. Both these pigs were taken with the V-Max @ 125 and 150 yds. The buck was taken with the 110 gr. SPH @ 135 yds. Once I shoot up a bunch of these 110's I will probably drop down to the 85 to 90 grain bullets and see what I can get them to do.

Posted By: .45colt

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/16/13 02:06 PM

Vern ,what barrel length are you using for your loads? About 2850 with the 95 ttsx , RL-10 and a 16 inch barrel is all I can get. Is there much difference in velocity with a 1 in 10 vs 1 in 11 twist?

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/16/13 03:03 PM

I'm running an ARP 16" with 1/11.25 5R and an 18" Bison Armory with 1/11 twist.
They both are target crown and even being a 16 and 18, shoot very close to the same in accuracy with only slight speed difference.
I use the 16 on a dedicated night gun for pig hunting and the 18 serves double duty as my day gun and load development tool.
Since they are very close in accuracy and FPS, the loads developed in the 18 shoot very well in the 16.

They also have improved chambers that allow loads well over SAMMI specs for the standard anemic SPCI spec.
It's like a .223 chamber vs. a NATO 5.56 chamber - the 5.56 chamber is rated at more pressure which will give more speed when loaded to those specs - an example is one load I use in my .223 Wylde chambered AR which is 2 full grains over .223 max.
More HP under the hood equals more performance.
Be careful though...each one of these loads were developed specifically for MY rifles and should be approached with caution.
An 85gr TSX pushed by 33gr of AA2200 is a laser beam and while safe in my chamber/gun it could be catostrophic in a SPCI chamber with a 1/10 twist!

Generally, a slower twist will have a slight velocity advantage and shoot lighter projectiles better but the spread on useable readily available projectiles is 85 to 120 for the 6.8 so it's kinda moot - I know folks shoot subs and heavier bullets but the bullet drop goes from arc to lob pretty quickly once you get over 120 in the 6.8 - well, for me in my application anyway...
Different rifling techniques, even being same twist can also go faster or slower.

The two barrels I have now were picked out of over a dozen I have owned/used/tested.
They were picked out of the batch because they had best accuracy which is my first criteria and best velocity for length.
I did compare 16 to 16 and 18 to 18 and 20 to 20, just different manufacturers/chamber/rifling.

One of the more accurate and speediest barrels I tested in 6.8 was a 20" 1/12 twist 5R AR Stoner from Midway. Smoking deal at under 250.00 with the 6.8 bolt.....but they have been out of stock since last Christmas! It was threaded and with a flash hider on the end was just almost too long for blind hunting and too heavy for stalking.

Hope that helps!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/16/13 07:45 PM

That wont do the job confused2 try ta keep my .223 rouds under 30yrds mainly hunt on puhlic land in the thick stuff, but alot of hogs have fallen ta a .223 at 100yrds.+ & most people dont care if they run off an die. them rounds should do fine flag
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/16/13 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: cyberpyrot
yeah im looking for somthing that wont break up.

bang boy do I feel dumb flag
Posted By: .45colt

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/17/13 07:15 PM

Thank you very much, I have one last question is the improved chamber the same as the SPC-ll chamber or does it have more free-bore similar to the weatherby rifle chambers ? Thanks again this is a new cartridge for me even though I have reloaded others for a long time.

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/18/13 02:48 PM

The guy that owns AR Performance is a hard core wildcatter and responsible for a lot of the innovations not only in the 6.8 but other calibers for the AR platform also. I'm sure his chambers/barrels are optimized for performance and accuracy.

I don't know exactly what the chamber specs are but the original SPCI chambers with a 1/10 twist were pretty restrictive and have heard that the specs SAMMI released were incorrect but were released anyway.
I've read rumors on the interwebs that the 300BO was pushed as the darling round and the 6.8 was direct competition so it had to be "crippled" to make the 300BO compete - I think both are Remington backed/based.
I've had and shot both the 300BO and the proper 6.8 chamber and while they both fit in an AR, they don't compare well.
The 300BO wins in subsonic and the 6.8 excels at supersonic.

There are some factory loads from SSA that should not be shot in the SPCI chamber as they are just too hot for it. SSA has notes on their website about NOT shooting those loads in an old chamber.

Hope that doesn't confuse you more than me...LOL!!
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Perferred Bullet - 12/22/13 01:49 AM

We don't have favorites. They all work.
We have a saying here...."Pick Your Poison", then "Load Your Backup".

BK
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum