Texas Hunting Forum

What round for a double on hogs?

Posted By: DrPerry

What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 04:17 PM

I am shooting a 270 win with cheap Federal 130 grain
Had a shot on a double the other week and put it on the first one but the second one made off
I hit the first one a little far back but that was to try and take them both
The hit was just ahead of the ham and passed thru the ribs on the exit
It was kind of a long shot for me 180 yards but I thought I had them both
Just wondering what yall use to make this kind of shot
Posted By: NRHplumber

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 04:31 PM

You need heavy for caliber partitions or you could just go with an FMJ. Realistically you are getting into some high dollar ammo if you want to take doubles at that range. You need something designed to penetrate deeply on big game animals. Much cheaper to use the FMJ option if you are just trying to exterminate.
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 04:42 PM

Planning on shooting doubles via passthrough, particularly if you are shooting on a line that quarters through the body of a pig, is probably not a good idea.
Posted By: cmc

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 04:43 PM

Did you find the one you gut shot?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 04:47 PM

Barnes TTSX 110gr
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 04:49 PM

I've shot pig doubles with a 270 and Nosler Ballistic Tips. If, however, I was planning on shooting a double, I'd go with a Nosler Partition or something from Barnes. I've shot a deer double with Remington CoreLokts in a 30-06 (but the double was not intended).
Posted By: Redguy

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I've shot pig doubles with a 270 and Nosler Ballistic Tips. If, however, I was planning on shooting a double, I'd go with a Nosler Partition or something from Barnes. I've shot a deer double with Remington CoreLokts in a 30-06 (but the double was not intended).

I did the same thing on deer same ammunition and everything. Little guy popped up right behind at about 140 yards and i gut shot the second one. Tracked her for a long ways before i found her.
Posted By: Cast

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 07:25 PM

The partition might not be a good choice as it will mostly come apart in the first pig.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 07:45 PM

Cast, you are thinking about some other bullet. The back half of that Partition will go through even the second pig. Penetration is what makes that bullet popular.

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 08:39 PM

Well, you might be about 60% correct...

Copied from somewhere on the Internet, so you KNOW it is right -

Partition bullets are really two bullets in one. There are two lead alloy cores separated by a solid partition of gilding metal jacket material. The front core is encased in a relatively thin tapered jacket to insure that adequate expansion is initiated when the bullet strikes even the smaller species of CXP2 game. The internal partition positively prevents the bullet from opening beyond that point, retaining the rear core for deep penetration, even in heavy CXP3 game. Recovered Partition bullets retain about 60% of their initial weight regardless of how violently the front part of the bullet expands. The minimum impact velocity needed to initiate expansion is 1800 fps. The Partition bullet has earned an outstanding reputation in the field as a killing bullet.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Cast, you are thinking about some other bullet. The back half of that Partition will go through even the second pig. Penetration is what makes that bullet popular.

X2

My first pick would be a 150 grain nosler partition. Second would be a tsx, but I don't care for barnes bullets on game performance.

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Well, you might be about 60% correct...

Copied from somewhere on the Internet, so you KNOW it is right -

Partition bullets are really two bullets in one. There are two lead alloy cores separated by a solid partition of gilding metal jacket material. The front core is encased in a relatively thin tapered jacket to insure that adequate expansion is initiated when the bullet strikes even the smaller species of CXP2 game. The internal partition positively prevents the bullet from opening beyond that point, retaining the rear core for deep penetration, even in heavy CXP3 game. Recovered Partition bullets retain about 60% of their initial weight regardless of how violently the front part of the bullet expands. The minimum impact velocity needed to initiate expansion is 1800 fps. The Partition bullet has earned an outstanding reputation in the field as a killing bullet.

Ive lined up hogs on several occasions with 270 win and 150 grain partitions. For the first few years I reloaded I lined up with a tree behind my deer to recover the bullets. An I once took a 225 lb Weighed boar and put a rail road tie behind it to measure penetration.... the partition will give you plenty to get the job done!

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 08:43 PM

Guys, I just saw that we're talking 270, was thinking 223 60 grain, which doesn't leave much for the second. Now, that 150 grain partition of redchevy's would duly impress that second hog.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/22/13 08:57 PM

I would say Grand Slam or NOSLER Partition to do a double
(if you stay out of bones )

I 've never had a Partition disintegrate and always a minimal
exit hole
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/23/13 12:08 AM

One shot, one kill...
Posted By: STX Rattlesnake

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/23/13 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
One shot, one kill...

yup, dawn har we put that old otra-mag ta yous lyke tat! dem bullits are eeekspensave!!!!
Posted By: DrPerry

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/25/13 03:56 PM

Thanks Guys
The gut shot hog was the only one recovered
The second one may have been hit but no blood trail and no recovery on that one

I think I will try the partition and see how that goes
Posted By: RockHoundTX

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/26/13 02:33 AM

A couple of months ago I got an unintentional double using Wolf 152gr 7.62x39 soft point. 40 yard shot on a 160 pound sow right behind the ear. Did not realize she had a shadow of a 75 pound boar directly on the other side of her. Both dropped on the spot. I found the separated mushroomed copper casing about half through the neck of the boar and the lead just about made it through the skin. Had either hog been bigger or the boar not been in the exact right spot then probably would have just got one.
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/26/13 03:45 AM

Hornady Interlock (NOT SST's!) bullets will do exactly what you want. I have never recovered one of these bullets as they always pass through completely.

I have several doubles to my credit, and the Interlock was the bullet used for each event. Normally a 150 grain Interlock out of my 30-06 is the weapon & bullet/bullet weight of choice.
Posted By: Red D

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/26/13 04:13 PM

7.62x54r, 203gr will go thru couple of hogs and thru a tree behind them

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/26/13 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Kawabuggy
Hornady Interlock (NOT SST's!) bullets will do exactly what you want. I have never recovered one of these bullets as they always pass through completely.

I have several doubles to my credit, and the Interlock was the bullet used for each event. Normally a 150 grain Interlock out of my 30-06 is the weapon & bullet/bullet weight of choice.

Ive had 150 grain hornady interlocks out of a 270 win fail to pass through a bucks neck once and several times on body shot deer. I don't trust them for on critter much less 2.
Posted By: Ed B

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/27/13 04:47 AM

Hornady 160 grain Leverevolution in 30-30. I got an intentional double this weekend but it was at about 50 yards. Recovered both about 20 yards away.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/27/13 01:52 PM

50 cal. flag
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 11/27/13 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: STX Rattlesnake
Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
One shot, one kill...

yup, dawn har we put that old otra-mag ta yous lyke tat! dem bullits are eeekspensave!!!!
what he said +1 flag
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 12/06/13 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
50 cal. flag

A .50 can do triples if you get them lined up just right.
BK
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 12/07/13 03:59 AM

I got a quadruple with a marlin guide gun 45/70 shooting a 405gr cast bullet. Shot the first pig she was about 40 yards dropped right away but kept squealing. Shot her again no good still squealing. Walked up to do the mercy shot when I found two adult sows and two piglets the first three were dead the fourth a piglet had been clipped.
Posted By: Nivlac

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 12/07/13 05:24 PM

Nosler partition is my answer. But for that kind of shooting I'd use a heavier bullet...say 180gr from a 30-06.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 12/08/13 03:35 PM

TSX or TTSX - yeah, they are expensive but I only use a few to sight in, then the rest to acctually hunt with.

Just be aware that the solid copper bullets need a few shots to foul the barrel the way they like them or you will be spraying somewhat on the first shot or three.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 12/08/13 03:44 PM

No question, you will need a solid copper bullet, like a Barnes TSX or a Hornady GMX. These will maximize penetration, and have the best chance at keeping a straight line through game.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What round for a double on hogs? - 12/08/13 03:47 PM

It can be most helpful if you put the round through the noggin of the first hog instead of through the body, LOL...

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._Olive_O#UNREAD

6.5 Grendel Hornady SST 123 gr.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum