Texas Hunting Forum

Pulsar LD-38 handheld thermal unit demo video

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Pulsar LD-38 handheld thermal unit demo video - 08/25/13 06:24 AM

Here is a little demo of the LD38 in action and I hope it gives you guys an idea (if you haven't played with them before) how thermal can help your hunts...

This is my first attempt at making a video, it is a little long, so bear with it.

One thing to note, thermal units detect differences in heat, and in the summer in Texas, the road and residential areas get hot. You will see some of that on the video.

[video:youtube]KVXXZcXuz8k[/video]
Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Re: Pulsar LD-38 handheld thermal unit demo video - 08/25/13 05:16 PM

Very good video, not too long and informative!

Can't wait to see your future videos from your hunting property with a detection and kill.

BB

Re: Pulsar LD-38 handheld thermal unit demo video - 08/25/13 06:23 PM

Approximate distances for those animals:
Rabbits ~ 20-25 yards
Cat ~ 75-100 yards (the interesting thing with this detection was the ability to see it coming off the road, as the road was still putting off lots of heat. Once it was in the field it was quite easy to see)

First skunk ~ 30-40 yards (this was the same skunk that crossed the road)

Second skunk in the field ~ 100-120 yards in field grass

Detecting in an suburban or urban environment is much different than in the field due to the increased levels of heat retention and heat signatures of things such as roads, houses, bricks, and concrete.

I will post a follow up video from my lease in the next couple weeks to show the difference in detectability of animals and hopefully some kill shots.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Pulsar LD-38 handheld thermal unit demo video - 08/25/13 10:23 PM

Very nice demo.

Whether detection is suburban or rural, issues vary by what is present. By Fort Davis where I have hunted, there is a lot of exposed rock, for example, and while rural, has many of the same problems you mention for as being urban.

In the woods in Montague County during the summer, we get a lot of trees retaining a considerable amount of heat.
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: Pulsar LD-38 handheld thermal unit demo video - 08/31/13 06:08 PM

Nice demo

Re: Pulsar LD-38 handheld thermal unit demo video - 08/31/13 06:47 PM

Going out to the lease today, should be able to get some field work video and hopefully some kill shots with it. I will be changing the video from my scope and the thermal handheld.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum