Texas Hunting Forum

YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous

Posted By: Bob in TX

YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 02:19 PM

A good friend sent this story to me. It is a good reminder for all of us not to get too complacent around wild hogs. They can be very dangerous, especially when wounded. Those tusks are razor sharp.

I would like to "thump" his hunter with a 2x4!

Bob

The Story:

I've hunted with Randy before. He's a big ol' country boy and not afraid to get down and dirty with a hog. We tracked my son's boar one night and had to get busy with a Glock .40. He hog hunts for a living. But the odds caught up to him a few days ago.

He had a few hunters in for a donated hunt for the Leukemia Society (or something like that). Hunter made a bad shot on a big boar with a .300 Win Mag. They went in after him and couldn't find him. Randy had walked the area a couple times. He had the hunter and his wife with him. He climbed up on a fallen pine tree and jumped down to the other side. As soon as he hit the ground the boar was on him.

Randy fought him off for awhile by kicking him but the hog didn't act like most of them (hit you and run off). He just kept charging. And kept charging. And kept charging. Soon Randy was bleeding from the thigh, wrist, and hands. He was losing a lot of blood and finally got pizzed off.

He was able to grab the hog's head and pin him by getting a knee on his neck. He yelled at the hunter several times to shoot the hog. "HURRY UP! I NEED SOME RELIEF!" Finally the guy snapped out of his shock and came up and put the hog down.

Randy started tying off wounds the best he could and got his wife to drive him to the hospital in Crockett. One surgery, 56 stitches, and a whole bunch of antibiotics later...he is back at home recuperating. The doctor said the tusks just barely missed the main artery in his wrist and it would have got real bad, real quick if that got cut.

He said, "I reckon I'll have to start carrying a pistol again". But he said the hog was on him so fast he didn't even see him coming and wouldn't have had time to draw.

I was driving through Centerville, Texas today and decided to call my buddy Randy. He was at the Langley Ranch recovering from getting charged by a 175 lb. boar.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 02:22 PM

Wow......
Posted By: Navasot

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 02:25 PM

its the smaller ones that are dangerous for sure the 150-225 range that have the weight to hurt you but still can move very fast.... Pretty sure iv met this ole boy before hope hes doing better...
Posted By: erniejs

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 02:41 PM

ouch
Posted By: deltaoutdoorsman

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 03:08 PM

WOW!

I've had a run in with an angry hog, too. Was hunting in Louisiana on 4-wheelers, using dogs to run the hogs. We came up on 3 of them, which their backs to a creek with a 8-10 drop off. So, one throws a dog about 3 feet in the air & charges the 4-wheeler I'm driving. I had enough time to jump on the back of it as it rams the front left tire. Moved it about a foot at impact & took off before I could even shoulder my Marlin 30/30. Jumped back onto the driver seat to do a 180 on the quad & realized that it wouldn't turn. Took a look & realized that there was a 3 inch gash in the side wall of the tire, and that it was pretty much totally deflated.

Got a LOT of respect for the fight in hogs when cornered...
Posted By: JGilbert

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 04:17 PM

prayers up for speedy recovery!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 05:05 PM

Any big and wounded animal being tracked down, cornered, grabbed, etc. can be dangerous. Holy cow!

So no permanent hand issues? Tendons, ligaments, and nerves are all still in place, yes?
Posted By: matty12222

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 05:14 PM

I had one charge me when I was about thirteen or fourteen... Shot him a lil back on the first shot. He turned and came directly at me, I then shot him six more times with a 45-70 govt. the last shot stopped the charge, but didn't make him fall over dead. He just stood there pumping blood out of his chest. At this point the pig was about five feet from me. I backed out slowly as I was out of bullets and clean underwear lol I came back and found him dead thirty min later. Needless to say I slept In the next morning lol they can be a handful.
Posted By: txbb14

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 09:11 PM

This is the reason I just bought my pistol. Walking to and from a bow blind in the dark is risky business with only an arrow.
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 09:49 PM

Could have been much worse. Glad the guy is ok, and I'm sure it will be a good guide story with the scars.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 10:03 PM

Glad he's alive to tell the story as it's a good one and he can whip out the pics if questioned.

Had a couple of buddies treed for almost an hour by a sounder full it nursing sows with football sized piglets.
One of them got to have 145 stitches in his left calf.
They shot pigs with every round of ammo they had for a shotgun, a rifle and two pistols and still got to spend a lot of time up the tree.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 10:58 PM

Good to hear your buddy is ok.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/05/13 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Wow......

That is exactly what I said out loud.
Posted By: panther89

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 01:45 AM

Prayers sent your way
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 03:32 AM

Hmmm, so hogs can be agitated.
Posted By: Chris001

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 04:01 AM

Sure glad he survived that encounter with the beast. I noticed the Langley Ranch T...That is were my son and i got are first pigs together. I wish you a speedy recovery!!!
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 04:13 AM

Dang!!
Posted By: elcasador

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 04:26 AM

Wow, thanks for sharing that story! Praying for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: rifleman_03

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 04:54 AM

Got charged by a hog shot and wounded with a 243. Emptied 6 rounds out of a 40 before he hit the ground about 5ft from me. Since then I carry a 45 with hollow points, but hope that situation never happens again. Hopefully Randy heals up and is back after those hogs again in no time
Posted By: stylesp

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 06:14 AM

That's nuts
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 06:20 AM

Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/06/13 03:40 PM

Wow is right! People ( including myself) often underestimate those animals...
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/07/13 12:11 AM

Was charged by a Russian Boar at a plantation in SC. Long story, but I finally stopped him about 3 feet from me. He was pizzed and wanted to kill... It will get your attention.
Posted By: AaronM58

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/07/13 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: JGilbert
prayers up for speedy recovery!

x2
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/07/13 01:57 PM

Wow.........Thanks for sharing his story and hoping he recovers quickly and fully.
Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/07/13 02:52 PM

I just heard from Randy. He is back in the saddle again. It has been a rough two weeks......

Randy is the Co-Owner and guides at the Langley Ranch near Centerville.

Bob
Posted By: BoogerHook2012

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/07/13 03:56 PM

Good deal. He is a tough dude.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/10/13 03:47 AM

Thanks I have seen first hand what they can do with dogs. I fear the 220 lb boar more than anything else
Posted By: ILikeRugers2

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/10/13 03:52 AM

Wow, that's creepy. Glad everyone made it.
Posted By: firemanstew

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/19/13 07:19 PM

Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Posted By: firemanstew

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/19/13 07:20 PM

I don't know if we will ever get ahead of these pigs.
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/21/13 07:14 PM

Hummm kinda makes you think about all them trips we've made unarmed don't it juggle eek2 eek2
Posted By: TexasEx57

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/26/13 09:32 PM

Wow...
Posted By: 100% OUTDOORSMAN

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/27/13 12:53 AM

Glad to hear you doing well and wish you a quick recovery. This should be a warning to all: Make your first shot counts, just because you shoot a large caliber rife doesn't mean a bad shot equates to a dead hog, always have your pistol draw when recovering a hog.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/27/13 01:15 AM

WOW!!!!
Posted By: gusman

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/29/13 02:58 AM

Wishing for a quick recovery....two weeks ago at dark I had a big sow stalk me for aprox 600yds I sprinted the last 100yds to get to a clearing I was lookin for a tree with limbs on the way out
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/30/13 04:11 AM

Good reminder Bobcat. Our place is over run with hogs. Good post!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 07/30/13 07:14 AM

Damn! shocked
Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/03/13 10:45 PM

Damn is right those things don't play glad ur ok bro.God speed
Posted By: drqtn

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/05/13 03:36 AM

Wow!!!
Posted By: aggiebowhunter

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/15/13 09:20 PM

I just found this post. Yes Im a long time member but I dont post much but Im doing well. I have some pretty wicked scars still waiting for the chicks to dig'em.

I lost feeling in several fingers and most of my hand for a month or better but its come back about 99% It actually didn't hurt much until the nerves started growing back together.

I was just in an unavoidable spot I couldn't get out of. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Randy
Posted By: passthru

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/15/13 11:06 PM

It's a dang shame he had to ask for help. I would hope most would respond on their own and quickly.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/16/13 12:10 AM

Glad you're recovering well. And good thing you didn't get some kind of funky disease from that sucker.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/16/13 01:01 AM

Glad to hear you are on the mend. up
Posted By: LarryT

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/16/13 08:25 PM

Thanks for sharing the story. Now you know always pack a pistol or a K-Bar. I take both
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/18/13 02:14 AM

Ouch
Posted By: n-all

Re: YES-Wild Hogs Can Be Dangerous - 08/18/13 02:28 AM

he needs a BIG handgun...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum