Texas Hunting Forum

Is this a banner year for coons?

Posted By: blackcoal

Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/26/13 06:34 AM

Is it my imagination that there seem to be more coons around in the past 10 months? Wonder if anyone has paid any attention to the number they are seeing/shooting. We have several hundred acres in the Cross Timbers region but seems everywhere I go there are more coons showing up. And if there are more, why. Actually had two years of drought and a shortage of water.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/26/13 12:22 PM

Drought helps the coons, when tanks start to go dry it leaves a lot of food in a very small area and they thrive. That said I havent noticed any more than usual at our place but we stay on em pretty hard through most of the spring and by fall they are in check.

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/26/13 04:33 PM

We have tanks that are going dry plus Timber Creek that is on our east fence line is dry, so that is not helping with the food supply although we are having a record pecan and acorn mast crop this past fall. I drive 50 miles of country road every day. and this time of year it is dark both morning and eve, just seems there are more in my area. Wondering about other parts of Texas other than Cooke & Grayson counties.
Posted By: Tusker

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/26/13 05:11 PM

I've seen more coons and fewer skunks. Game camera pics on feeders are 80% coon pics.
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/26/13 07:34 PM

If you mean there are more coons showing up at the feeders, then yes it appears to be a banner year. Truth is, you will see more around feeders because of the toll taken on habitat by the drought. There are always coons that frequent feeders, but now even those that don't venture far enough to be around them are arriving.
Posted By: 00possum

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/27/13 03:13 AM

I was thinking the exact opposite, but if y'all are seeing coons then we should shortly.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/27/13 08:21 PM

got three coons hanging around my feeders, yet to get a pic of a deer or hog confused2 could be the setting?
Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/27/13 11:02 PM

we have never seen so many coons as we have this winter. At least six to eight at the feeder every freakin' night. The damn things are everywhere. Time for a night time spotlighting hunt with the kids now that deer season is over.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/28/13 12:01 AM

I have been working on them since last July. I have caught 27 so far since then. I keep my Duke Dog Proof proof traps ready and move them to the fresh tracks or when I get TC pics. I am going to trap year round to keep ahead of them.

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/29/13 06:05 PM

Ranchman,
Curious as to what you are doing with them after you trap them. Knew a fellow that used to fatten them on corn and after skinning them he parboiled them and roasted them. Just curious. Never tried eating one but have known people who did.
Posted By: txbb14

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 01/30/13 03:40 AM

Raccoons are like hogs for me. Shoot 'em and leave 'em lay. I'd rather have a coyote/bobcat eat that than go after my quail or deer.
Posted By: rentalrdo

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 02/01/13 01:43 AM

+2 on protecting the quail. The fire ants have been devestating to the quail population.
Posted By: rick13

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 02/01/13 12:57 PM

We have seen a lot of coons this year in titus county. Up to six or eight at a time on the game cam.
Posted By: Glowka

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 02/01/13 04:28 PM

Shot about 30 in the last month or two.
Posted By: crstfr

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 02/01/13 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Tusker
I've seen more coons and fewer skunks. Game camera pics on feeders are 80% coon pics.

+2...damn them!!!
Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Is this a banner year for coons? - 02/01/13 07:36 PM

If you have that many, skin and sell the hides to recoop some corn/protein money. There's a fur buyer from RP Outdoors who travels East Texas and other areas buying both dried and green hides.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/browducbibov.html
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum