Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting License to Hunt Hogs?

Posted By: Mr. Ganzer

Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 12:17 AM

Do I need a hunting license to hunt hogs on my place? The pamphlet is ambiguous. It states-a hunting license is required to hunt feral hogs-twice! It also says- a hunting license is not needed to kill depredating hogs by a landowner or his agents.

I live outta state so it can be pricey.

Who knows?
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 12:32 AM

I'm certainly not the authority but I believe there is a distinction between hunting (sport, you're going to eat it) and killing (defense, will be left for buzzards). The sport necessitates a license whereas the other does not.

This could be completely bunk info though and there is certainly quite a bit of confusion about this. For residents the no brainer is to get a license since they're cheap and not worry about. In your case though a concrete answer is necessary.

Sorry I can't help more.

-Mickey
Posted By: freeonfreak

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 12:42 AM

A license is cheap. Game wardens are anxious to prove their reason for existance to the state so they will issue a citation if you're in the wrong at least 1%.
Posted By: Rob M

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 01:42 AM

Be safe a get a general hunting license.
Posted By: calex114

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: robdawg14m
Be safe a get a general hunting license.

I'm with him ^^^
Posted By: L R Carrico

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 11:24 AM

I agree with the others. You'd probably beat the charges in court...at 50 times the cost of a hunting license.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 01:44 PM

Are you hunting over a feeder, or a crop? Basically if you have signs they are treating up the land, no licenseneeded. If you can't prove it, better buy one
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 01:52 PM

You can't depredation hunt and eat the meat or take trophies, IIRC. As noted, you can do it and then let the buzzards have the carcass, but you don't get to benefit from the kill except in the saving of whatever resources that are threatened. So if you are going to eat the meat, share the meat, submit ears for a bounty, make a trophy mount, etc., you need a license.
Posted By: predator-solutions

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 04:28 PM

No need in being technical. Your hog hunting clothes and equipment are the same as deer hunting equipment. If you own the property then no you don't need a licences to hunt hogs cause they are not a game animal or protected. Now if your on a lease that's something ealse. You gotta prove your hog hunting then and it's gonna suck when you get caught. Just buy the license to be safe.
Posted By: Mr. Ganzer

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/14/12 06:42 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. The consensus is buy the license and be done with it. I am hunting my own land, but hunting over feeders and definately want to keep what I kill.
Posted By: L R Carrico

Re: Hunting License to Hunt Hogs? - 10/15/12 12:50 AM

Smart choice. Now you can hunt without looking over your shoulder. Of course...I just noticed you are from Louisiana. I didn't read that earlier. Don't know if there laws are the same as here in Texas.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum