Texas Hunting Forum

hunting from the truck

Posted By: TXHogger

hunting from the truck - 07/22/12 02:56 AM

i have a spot that i have been baiting and have a game camera setup but there is no blind. i was wanting to setup in the bed of my truck about 50-75 ft away and throw some camo netting over the bed. my question is, will the hogs be spooked by the truck (assuming we are quiet enough).

Posted By: The Boar Buster

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/22/12 03:07 AM

I hunt from the truck all the time. If the hogs havent been hunted a lot you should do fine, but they will learn that death comes in a truck. Hogs are smart and they learn fast. I hunt from a white Ford with no cammo. I do park in the trees about 75 yards from my feeder with my green light on a trypod on top of my truck.

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/22/12 03:17 AM

thanks. i suspect i will be fine because this spot has not been hunted. i would stalk it since it is only 1/4 mile from the cabin but i am taking my 12 yr old daughter to try and get her first.

on the green light, i just bought a green led feeder light. i had heard from someone that green will spook them. i guess this is not the case?

Posted By: passthru

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/22/12 05:06 PM

It hasn't spooked them for me yet.

Posted By: 5km

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/22/12 09:51 PM

I shoot them out of the truck all the time this time of year its usually running with the ac on

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/22/12 10:41 PM

how is the report inside the truck? has to be loud

Posted By: 5km

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/22/12 11:50 PM

Not bad make sure u got the barrel out the window

Posted By: Pooba

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/23/12 03:10 AM

Have seen green and red lights used both very well for hog hunting.
I also agree about them being smart beyond belief.

They will get trap wise real quick. An old rancher showed me a trick that worked till they got smart to it was. To put a mirror at one end of your trap. Hog sees hog in mirror and it worked well for awhile. Also keep in mind that mirrors, hog traps, and hogs don't mix well either. So prepare for 7 years back luck.

Posted By: Pooba

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/23/12 03:10 AM

Now this is a great idea!!

I don't feel so bad now hunting hogs from a 19ft RV with AC and a frig.

Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/23/12 03:22 AM

Sitting in a pasture in my truck a group of hawg's would have went under the truck to get to the sour corn on the other side if we hadnt have started shooting them. seriously !!! I dont think the truck will bother them, they don't see to good no how.

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/23/12 05:50 PM

Thanks! I may just sit in the cab then. Truck is all black anyways.

Posted By: TV308

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/25/12 04:17 PM

I park a golf cart 50 yds from the feeder when I take my daughter, as long as we stay downwind we are fine.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/25/12 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHogger

It's a lot more comfy that way, plus you can plug in a spotlight....or be laze like me and just cut the headlights on for a brief sec. to see if anything is there. Ended up shooting a few that way Sat night during a lightning storm.

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/25/12 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

It's a lot more comfy that way, plus you can plug in a spotlight....or be laze like me and just cut the headlights on for a brief sec. to see if anything is there. Ended up shooting a few that way Sat night during a lightning storm.

These are words from the Master, young Jedi.... grin

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/25/12 09:42 PM

Or some guys prefer to run them down with the truck and save boollets. whistle

Posted By: Navasot

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/25/12 09:46 PM

I hunt out of my red tacoma plenty of times durring the season...find a vantage point and it dont matter

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/25/12 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

It's a lot more comfy that way, plus you can plug in a spotlight....or be lazy like me and just cut the headlights on for a brief sec. to see if anything is there. Ended up shooting a few that way Sat night during a lightning storm.

These are words from the Master, young Jedi.... grin

yingyang

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/26/12 12:22 AM

Don't do it in Oklahoma!!!!!!!!!!!"!!

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/26/12 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Don't do it where ppl can see you in Oklahoma!!!!!!!!!!!"!!

FIFY

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/26/12 01:41 AM

Lol

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/26/12 11:19 AM

really? no hunting hogs from trucks in OK eh?

Posted By: Navasot

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/26/12 04:02 PM

another reason for me to stay outa Oklahoma

Posted By: Land_Man

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/26/12 09:27 PM

we hunted last night from the truck and tried to call up some yotes....we got this instead lol! that doe was around 100 yards away from a running truck with the a/c blaring...she didn't mind at all smile

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/27/12 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bombay from TFF
we hunted last night from the truck and tried to call up some yotes....we got this instead lol! that doe was around 100 yards away from a running truck with the a/c blaring...she didn't mind at all smile

that looks like a joey to me!

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/27/12 01:53 AM

Don't hunt any thing in Oklahoma out of a truck...infact don't even use the hood to shoot from...

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/27/12 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Don't hunt any thing in Oklahoma out of a truck...infact don't even use the hood to shoot from...

I guess they must not think Hogs are a real problem....

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/28/12 01:30 AM

That's going to throw a huge kink in my OK hunting strategy.

Re: hunting from the truck - 07/29/12 10:37 AM

Went Friday night to our scouted spot and setup about 50yds away only to realize that we didn't seem to have the shot I thought we would from checking it during the day so I moved and ended up 25yds from the corn and feeder light. Half moon, semi-overcast and no wind. We (me, my 12yr old daughter and her friend) sat in the bed of the truck for about 90minutes and sure enough they came in. One of them appeared to me much larger than we had seen on the game cam. I want to say he was over 150 but may be me seeing things. He was a bit skittish and his razorback was up on end but he never bolted. My daughter had the shot and she was geeked up being her first time and missed! It was pretty exciting though being that close to them.

Will definitely try this tactic again.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum