Texas Hunting Forum

what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting???

Posted By: Tx Rifleman

what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/17/12 08:32 PM

what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting? And anyone been charged by hog? How was the pistol did the job?

Posted By: der Teufel

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 12:18 AM

I don't carry a defense pistol when hog hunting.

I carry a 9mm for finishing off a wounded hog because the 9mm ammo is cheaper and easier than blasting a hog at a range of 20 inches with another rifle bullet.

My experience has been that when the shooting starts, the hogs take off for the nearest cover like a bunch of greased pinballs on fire!

Posted By: kmon11

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 12:32 AM

Well described on the exit of hogs when the shooting starts

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 12:49 AM

Sometimes I hunt hogs with the S&W 629. Other times I might strap on a Tarus judge, 357 or 9mm for the heck of it or even a 22.

Have fun sometimes riding the pastures on one place with the spotlight chasing down hogs and shooting them with the Judge loaded with buckshot out the window of the truck.

Posted By: Adelbridge

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:14 AM

sometimes I bring my contender with a .44 mag barrel and scope but mostly for a shooting angle I cant reach with a rifle, like 6 o'clock right under my stand. If I am going on a recovery mission I prefer it in the thick stuff.

Posted By: stug41

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 03:32 AM

I was under the impression that it is illegal to hunt with a pistol, but rather that it should only be used defensively, and at that, may only be carried by those with CCP's or such.

Posted By: blancobuster

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 03:45 AM

East hunts hogs with spears so I think you are cool with pistols.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: blancobuster

We saw the video...he should invest in a pistol rofl

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: stug41
I was under the impression that it is illegal to hunt with a pistol, but rather that it should only be used defensively, and at that, may only be carried by those with CCP's or such.

I hunt hogs only on private land so no problem with pistols. Not sure about the rules these days on public lands.

Posted By: East

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

mad Trial run. But I do have the perfect spot in the works

and just incase the SHTF, I do carry a swiss army knife, with the tooth pick option I must add

Posted By: Bowtech1233

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 01:15 PM

Too much Hogs Gone Wild on Discovery Channel...

Posted By: elcasador

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 01:23 PM

Sig .40 or 9mm. FMJ all the way! No HP, as they are intended to decrease over penetration on two legged targets and not a charging 200lb boar with armor plating.

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: East...

mad Trial run. But I do have the perfect spot in the works

and just incase the SHTF, I do carry a swiss army knife, with the tooth pick option I must add

I stopped by DFW and picked up a few blades, and met up with Petiki for some blade wielding lessons. Sensei Petiki taught me several things and anointed me grand master of 21 ft. and gave me permission to take on students in the art of the blade. I will show you my moves

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:14 PM

rofl

Until you have starred down a 350 lb russian boar in the morning fog dualing a 4" blade from 21 ft, you really havent lived

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:14 PM

I stopped by DFW and picked up a few blades, and met up with Petiki for some blade wielding lessons. Sensei Petiki taught me several things and anointed me grand master of 21 ft. and gave me permission to take on students in the art of the blade. I will show you my moves

It is un-sporting to use the 21ft rule on a pig.

Screaming...always screaming

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:15 PM

East in practice...

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:17 PM

up Nice shoes

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:26 PM

It is un-sporting to use the 21ft rule on a pig.

Screaming...always screaming

21 feet goes fast on a pig, they ALWAYS charge as soon as they see a human. All you have to do is hold the spear in front of you, and the pig skewers them selves. Boom bacon wrapped pork kabob ready for the grill.

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:35 PM

Glad to see this thread hasnt been hijacked

Posted By: mnsherick

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel

My experience has been that when the shooting starts, the hogs take off for the nearest cover like a bunch of greased pinballs on fire!

This...

-Matt

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: East...
Glad to see this thread hasnt been hijacked

I keep a glock .40 close by loaded with Hornady critical defense 165 gr. FTX grin

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 03:22 PM

9 milly meter

Posted By: BLUERIBBONS

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 05:07 PM

Here is a more sensible eek discussion over this topic I started a few weeks back Tx.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3112836/Re_Only_one_pistol#Post3112836

Posted By: passthru

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 05:43 PM

Yes but why have a sensible discussion about a non-sense question? If you are that scared take a shotgun. You'll have a better chance of hitting and knocking it down. Most folks can't hit a running pig coming at them while they are running away and/or crapping their drawers.

Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 06:12 PM

i just carry a knife ...

Posted By: EastTexP

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/18/12 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Yes but why have a sensible discussion about a non-sense question? If you are that scared take a shotgun. You'll have a better chance of hitting and knocking it down. Most folks can't hit a running pig coming at them while they are running away and/or crapping their drawers.

Or...
if your scared of getting charged just don't go.

Posted By: passthru

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/19/12 02:46 AM

Exactly.

Posted By: nice shot

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/20/12 02:27 AM

always have a P2000 .40 on me. . . ALWAYS.

When Im prepared for it, I take out my wifes LCP 380. I figure its gonna kill the hog since I will be a few feet away anyways.

Posted By: sagebrushassassin

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/20/12 02:50 AM

I carry a Ruger GP 100. Not for defense, just for finishing off anything when necessary. And cuz its just fun to have a big pistol on my side!

Posted By: The Boar Buster

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/20/12 04:01 AM

I used to carry a Glock 22 .40 with 180 gr hps. Now I carry a Glock 30sf with 230 jhp.
I did kill a hog with my Glock 26 a couple of years back.9mm 140 gr jhp.

Posted By: twiztedlemon

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/20/12 05:11 PM

Springfield xdm 40 ,covers all varmints and thieves

Posted By: FIREDAVIS

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/21/12 12:44 AM

1911 .45 ACP with FMJ's.

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/21/12 01:29 AM

I am partial to the 357 myself.

Posted By: SATX

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/21/12 11:03 PM

Ruger Vaquero in .45lc with stout 250gr rounds. Or my Springfield XDm in .45acp with 230gr rounds. I never carried them specifically for self defense from a hog, but rather in the hopes that I might sneak up within pistol range while rifle hunting.

I did manage to take one with the Vaquero. Talk about bang! flop!

Posted By: Doyle

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/22/12 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: FIREDAVIS
1911 .45 ACP with FMJ's.

+1

Posted By: Scalpel4

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/23/12 04:49 PM

357 magnum with barnes copper hollow points. Makes a glorious mess of things.

Posted By: Boss32178

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/24/12 08:41 PM

I have my 1911 but I use it for my daily carry.

Posted By: texfork

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/24/12 11:27 PM

Sig 226 / 40cal . I load it with fmj's for point and spray on hogs , I really don't want to waste my critical defence loads .
up

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/25/12 12:24 PM

Glock 20 10mm...

Posted By: jts728

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/25/12 01:02 PM

I use a Ruger Vaquero in a 44 magnum

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/25/12 03:52 PM

I just carry a knife, and my bow.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/26/12 04:17 PM

I don't carry a defense pistol when hog hunting.

same here.. if a rifle doesnt kill it, a pistol is just going to tick it off.

Posted By: deuces

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/26/12 04:25 PM

I use my Smith and Wesson 10mm. That thing is a HOSS! A nicely placed shot with hollow point ammo and that piggy ain't getting back up. A rifle would be a good (somewhat better) choice, but I can get to a pistol much more quickly than I could a rifle.

Oh... Wait. We ARE talking about worst case scenario... right? Otherwise this is a stupid question. Kind of like... "What kind of gun do I need for the Zombie Apocalypse?" rofl

Posted By: San Saba Hogman

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/26/12 05:25 PM

Posted By: bignate79549

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 05/28/12 08:11 PM

Springfield xdm 40

Posted By: Boss32178

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/04/12 05:30 PM

45 acp

Posted By: Salival462

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/05/12 02:16 AM

I have a Glock 23 .40 Cal. I have put this gun through hell and never had an issue.

Posted By: hunter 2506264

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/05/12 02:32 AM

use 223 when they get real close use 223 again and again, lol

Posted By: SIG04CHAD

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/07/12 11:33 PM

9mm fmj

Posted By: 482camaro

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/08/12 12:02 AM

45 Colt Defender

Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/08/12 05:40 PM

ruger blackhawk 41 Magnum

Posted By: der Teufel

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/08/12 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: deuces

Oh... Wait. We ARE talking about worst case scenario... right? Otherwise this is a stupid question. Kind of like... "What kind of gun do I need for the Zombie Apocalypse?" rofl

Yep. I have never been charged by a hog, and I'm assuming that the original questions refers to what happens AFTER one has shot at a hog or group of hogs.

In that case, I already have my rifle in my hands. Why would I drop it and try to get to a pistol? I generally use a semi-auto, but I can cycle my bolt-action a lot faster than I could draw and aim a pistol.

Originally Posted By: rifleman
same here.. if a rifle doesnt kill it, a pistol is just going to tick it off.

Yep again. If I've got a rifle in my hands, I see no reason to try to produce a pistol.

Posted By: Mopar 512

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/08/12 08:43 PM

Don't use one. Use my rifle.

Posted By: stxcowboy

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/08/12 11:23 PM

most of the time 357 not really hog hunting but working around the ranch. Other day had my 22mag with me and shot a 70lber

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/10/12 10:01 PM

Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag with 240 grain silver partition bullets....

Posted By: booradley

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/11/12 12:45 AM

Stoeger Cougar 9MM

Posted By: drakecutter

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/11/12 02:41 AM

Springfield XDm .45

Posted By: tperry

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/11/12 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Rifleman
what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting? And anyone been charged by hog? How was the pistol did the job?

Ruger Old Army with 40gr Goex FFFg and a 45 caliber swaged Hornady ball. About the equivalent of a .45LC loadout. I use it mainly to finish one off, but have killed one outright with it. Almost as cheap to shoot as a .22 pistol.

Posted By: tperry

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/11/12 02:54 PM

Yep. I have never been charged by a hog, and I'm assuming that the original questions refers to what happens AFTER one has shot at a hog or group of hogs.

In that case, I already have my rifle in my hands. Why would I drop it and try to get to a pistol? I generally use a semi-auto, but I can cycle my bolt-action a lot faster than I could draw and aim a pistol.

Yep again. If I've got a rifle in my hands, I see no reason to try to produce a pistol.

If you hunt like I do, I use a flintlock T/C Hawken - so I only have one shot and it takes just a "little" bit to get the second one ready to go downrange. It's nice having the backup in case I can get some additional shots in. I just prefer the smell of sulfur when I'm shooting those cloven hooved devils! laugh

Posted By: DJO

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/11/12 03:37 PM

1911 with 230gr FMJ

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/22/12 08:06 PM

9 or 40 always.

Posted By: bluelund79

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/23/12 02:00 PM

357 if taking a wheelgun. 40cal if I take my autoloader. Its not meant to be a defensive, just to either finish one off, or chasing one into thick cover.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/23/12 02:44 PM

I just Mean Mug them and they drop in their tracks.

Posted By: TxHogHunterTx

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/23/12 02:54 PM

.357 mag

Posted By: Wolfebyte

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/23/12 04:51 PM

1911 usually..

since it's hot .. and the nights ain't exactly cool I carry a .357 revolver with some shot shells for them pesky snakes that hunt at night as well..

Posted By: Black Horse

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/23/12 05:11 PM

I carry a .357 or .44mag...offensively. That's what I hunt with. 240-300grain or round nose/flat nose will give 'em a headache.

Posted By: mattm

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/23/12 05:39 PM

I carry a .357 but only if I jump a hog on the way to my stand since my .30-06 will be slung over my shoulder and seconds may count to get my opportunity. Other times I carry a Stoeger p350 armed to the teeth with 12ga. slugs. That oughta do in a defensive situation.

Posted By: TexasPipeTwister

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/24/12 05:25 PM

Springfield. 45 and a.fixed blade knife

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/24/12 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: stug41
WT*?????

Posted By: East texas deer hunter

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/24/12 09:00 PM

357 mag wheel gun

Posted By: TAB

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/26/12 10:02 PM

50ae

Posted By: mudman

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 06/30/12 04:43 AM

Colt 1860 Army .44

Posted By: rollnss

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/06/12 02:12 AM

springfield 1911 gi .45acp hp

Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/06/12 12:31 PM

Sig 45

Posted By: alexrex20

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/06/12 06:08 PM

i keep my EDC Colt LW Commander on me when hog hunting

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/06/12 08:12 PM

I have killed many hogs with a 9mm....

Posted By: TailboardFF

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/11/12 02:01 PM

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/11/12 04:09 PM

Judge

Posted By: boonee

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/11/12 05:28 PM

Glock 20 with Lone Wolf 6" barrel and my 180 grain hand loads.

Posted By: Undercoverdog

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/11/12 09:06 PM

10mm delta elite

Posted By: txd33rhunt3r

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/12/12 02:16 AM

My S&W DA45 has proven bad medicine for a couple of hogs with 230gr fmj's. The last one was 110lbs i walked up on the pig tube and he just kind of hunkered and looked at me but didn't move. He was only probably 15ft in front of me and I hit him right between the eyes. Instant dirt nap and I noticed oddly the bullet exited his back right near his spine behind his skull.

Posted By: Doug in Driftwood

Re: what's the defense pistol you are using during the hog hunting??? - 07/12/12 05:05 AM

My back up is a Glock 21 with the extended slide and 6 inch barrel the Glock 32 is backedup by a S&W 29 .44 mag 6 inch barrel.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum