Texas Hunting Forum

AR-15 What sights for night hunting?

Posted By: cforand1293

AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/09/12 08:25 PM

So, I am wanting to do more night time hunting and not sure what way to go.

eotech?
Hoglight/with scope?

What do you guys use...

Posted By: kmon11

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/09/12 08:40 PM

Hoglight/with scope

Posted By: Mason

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/09/12 10:03 PM

Not eotech... Something that collects light well (scope) and something to light 'em up (light). I do recommend a NICE quick detachment mount though. I like being able to throw on close range tacti-cool optics, too.

Posted By: stxhunter

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/10/12 12:15 AM

I would go with a hog light and a scope. How far do you plan on normally shooting? I have some picatinny rail mounts that attach my lights to the handguard and still allow me to see my crosshairs.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/10/12 02:42 AM

Scope and Good light source is all you need.

Posted By: MGS82

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/10/12 02:43 AM

My nikons and kill light do the trick!

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/10/12 12:58 PM

Scope and Hog Light.

Here are 3 choices:

VRL-1: http://shop.selpharms.com/VRL-1-Varmint-Hunting-Light-VRL-1-R-G.htm
Wicked Light: http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/brand-wicked-lights/
ELW XLR-250: http://critr-gitr.com/gun-mount-lights.htm

I own all three. They are all pretty close quality wise, but have different features and prices. Pick the one that suits you best.

Bob

Posted By: cforand1293

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/10/12 02:04 PM

Thanks guys, looks like hog light and scope are the way to go...

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/11/12 12:52 AM

I guess I'll buck the trend. I use an eotech and it works well! If I need magnification I have the swing away 3x magnifier. Between that and my kill light I've never needed more. Then again, the way we hunt is getting em in as close as possible. I can do better than 100yd with my setup if the air isnt thick with humidity. Now on my .308 I have a scope. No flies on either one really. Just don't be afraid to try the eotech if that was what you were thinking.

Posted By: passthru

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/11/12 01:11 AM

I use Mini-Sniper hog lights on both my bow and AR.

Posted By: Bradb511

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/16/12 03:26 PM

Primary arms 3x compact scope and green kill light

Posted By: Ident Marking

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/16/12 05:07 PM

Raytheon W1000-9 Thermal Weapon Sight

Pig Hunt Thermal Video

Posted By: Hideandseek

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/16/12 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Ident Marking
Raytheon W1000-9 Thermal Weapon Sight

Pig Hunt Thermal Video

OUCH! 8K

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/16/12 08:27 PM

I use either the green flashlight route or night vision depending on how I feel that night. Both are effective. The night vision is more stealthy...but you don't have to go to the 8 grand level ot have something that works very well.

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/16/12 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
I use either the green flashlight route or night vision depending on how I feel that night. Both are effective. The night vision is more stealthy...but you don't have to go to the 8 grand level ot have something that works very well.

I agree 8K is not for everyone, but how about an option like this?

PVS-4 2nd gen

Truly I not just trying to sell you something. I just trying to show you that there night vision options out there. The thermal was more of a joke I was just trying to blow some sox off. I will tell you once you start using night vision you won't go back.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/16/12 10:20 PM

PVS-4 2nd gen

Truly I not just trying to sell you something. I just trying to show you that there night vision options out there. The thermal was more of a joke I was just trying to blow some sox off. I will tell you once you start using night vision you won't go back.

'LOOKS GOOD' how much ???

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/16/12 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

PVS-4 2nd gen

'LOOKS GOOD' how much ???

$1799.95

For you folks in the DFW area that are wanting to learn and look through some night vision we do demos at our shop in Rockwall on Tues and Thurs nights. Give us a call if you are interested 469.464.5500

Posted By: CatfishJr.

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/17/12 03:07 PM

I would like to put in a good word for Jason at Ident Marking, I have bought night vision from him and love it. Its on a DPMS-308 and I have over 1000 rounds through my setup, still working flawless. We kill lots of hogs for farmers in our area, over 500 last year alone. Lots of the farmers that look through this stuff are majorly impressed, and are more than willing to have us out anytime to take care of their pig problem. Also their customer service in above excellent, they answer any question you could have and will shoot you straight. Remember this cause it is a lesson I have learned when dealing with guns and Night Vision "BUY ONCE CRY ONCE"

NIGHT VISION IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

Posted By: hrt4me

Re: AR-15 What sights for night hunting? - 05/19/12 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: CatfishJr.
NIGHT VISION IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

"night vision" includes both image intensification and thermal infrared imaging

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum