Texas Hunting Forum

Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land?

Posted By: barnez

Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/12/12 06:47 AM

Can you guys tell me a little about predator hunting on Corps of Engineers land? Are electronic game calls legal? Can you hunt at night? Any special clothing requirements?

Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/12/12 12:52 PM

It's been a while..but it was all legal up on Texoma, and no orange.
I would make the calls to GW and Corps, no need for a ticket smile

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/12/12 05:23 PM

Each COE area has different rules. Need to check where you intend to hunt.

Posted By: Hunter_Man

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/14/12 12:13 PM

i hunt copr land here in san angelo. never had any issues. i use a caller, but you can only use shotgun or bow where i hunt. haven't had much luck to be honest, but i see them all the time when deer hunting. had two fatty bobcats run right in front of the mule this season when i was driving out. almost got one!

Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/14/12 02:03 PM

Some places require blaze orange for all hunts except waterfowl. I never saw restrictions other than you can not make a permanent stand. The public lands book lists the restrictions for each tract.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/14/12 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
The public lands book lists the restrictions for each tract.

Link or location to USCOE book. I have never seen a USACOE booklet? Maybe you are talking about TPWD APH?

Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/14/12 02:47 PM

The booklet was for TPWD APH. There is a pdf for the
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Public Hunting Guide 2011-2012
But it looks like it's down or something.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/14/12 02:55 PM

I just tried too. Their website (http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/benbrook/Recreation/Hunting.asp) is down. There's a link in there for hunting the COEs lands in this (Fort Worth) district. Not all are mananged by the Texas APH. I know for a fact that you can't use any calling device at Benbrook and you can't kill any predators while legally hunting other species.

Posted By: mohicansneakin

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/23/12 06:08 AM

I know at the corp land around Whitney calls can not be used

Posted By: DallasSniper

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/25/12 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: barnez
Can you guys tell me a little about predator hunting on Corps of Engineers land? Are electronic game calls legal? Can you hunt at night? Any special clothing requirements?

Since you live in paris are you going to pat myers? If so orange is required... I have hunted there... Also it requires a special license

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/25/12 02:17 AM

The link is in our Public Hunting Lands sticky in the Land and Leases forum. A fairly complete list of texas public hunting areas is under that sticky post. I update the links for you guys every season, so most to all should be working. If you ever find a link in there not working or find one that should be added, send it to me in a pm and I will fix it.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/348583

Below is the most recent PDF of hunting rules for the Ft Worth District Corps of Engineers. Texoma is in the Oklahoma, Tulsa district COE and so has different rules than the Texas, Ft Worth district lakes.

http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/pubdata/ops/recnres/HUNT_GUIDE11-12.pdf

Originally Posted By: barnez

Each Lake has it's own rules and is in that pdf. But there are some Ft Worth district rules at the top of the rule book that apply to all Ft Worth district lakes. Cut and pasted to answer your questions and your not going to like the answers. Note also most all do not list predators as legal game, most do not allow rifles, and shotguns are limited to no larger than #2 shot.

14. What authorized (legal) game may be hunted on Corps of Engineers lands?
The only authorized game allowed to be taken is those game species listed in the “Legal
Game” section for each lake. Hunting game species not listed in the information guide is
prohibited, including species such as rattlesnakes, skunks, crows, English sparrows, grackles,
coyotes, javelina, etc. Note: Possession of manual or electronic varmint calling devices, baits or
lures is prohibited while hunting.

11. Must I wear hunter orange?
Corps Non-Permit Lakes: No, but the proper wearing of hunter orange is highly
recommended for hunter safety. Please refer to the information for Sam Rayburn Lake for
specific requirements on wearing hunter orange.

Corps Permit Lakes: Yes. Hunters (and anyone accompanying the hunter) must wear at
least 400 square inches of hunter orange material (144 square inches on both chest and back)
when hunting and are also required to wear some type of orange head wear. Hunters exempt
from this requirement are: persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog during the archery only season
and persons hunting turkey, waterfowl, or migratory birds (except dove hunters during
concurrent hunts for quail).

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 03/25/12 02:43 PM

I've been on a hog trapping permit with a couple of other THF'ers around Lake Grapevine. Last I heard only one pig has been trapped in all the areas combined.

You can't hunt without a permit and all the permits have been allocated for this period. Same with the trapping permits.

It's been a lot of work for no return.

Posted By: b0whunter

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 09/24/12 04:11 AM

No night hunting or use of electronic calls. Grunt tubes and rattling antlers are ok. (I guess you wouldn't consider whitetails predators?)
Posted By: Waabiishkiizii

Re: Predator Hunting on Corps of Engineers Land? - 09/24/12 03:07 PM

glad I can see a link with more rules. I was also looking at the down link
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum