Texas Hunting Forum

First set this AM

Posted By: JThoele

First set this AM - 02/03/12 06:58 PM

Got set up in the tangles of a large old mesquite tree over looking a small opening in a pasture this drizzling morning. Spent more time setting up my decoy and brushing myself in than I did calling, as after about 30 seconds of screaming on the turkey call a pair came in hot at my 11 o'clock. They split and veered to corner the decoy, and having my rifle up on the shooting sticks I went ahead and took the one in front of me. By the time I racked the bolt, swung to my hard left, and made a loud coyote distress yip, the larger male gave me a milisecond look before merging into the tree line but no shot presented itself. Should have had a double, but better than a goose egg. Went to two other places after that - one there was a coyote on a carcass as soon as I pulled up which messed up a chance for calling and at the second spot it begun to dump buckets of water out of the sky. Still have a few days off before I head back to Tyler, hopefully can post some more success pics.

Posted By: gamebear

Re: First set this AM - 02/03/12 07:55 PM

Nice work. Good shot.

Posted By: jbd76266

Re: First set this AM - 02/03/12 08:01 PM

up

Posted By: Big A

Re: First set this AM - 02/03/12 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jbd76266
up

Re: First set this AM - 02/03/12 10:12 PM

thanks, about to head out and try a few more spots this PM

Posted By: one73maro

Re: First set this AM - 02/03/12 10:25 PM

Nice yote! Good luck with the rest of your hunting.

Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: First set this AM - 02/03/12 11:08 PM

C'mon now, even Helen Keller could shoot a plastic rabbit, but good job on the coyote though.

Posted By: MVILL

Re: First set this AM - 02/04/12 07:18 AM

Nice

Re: First set this AM - 02/05/12 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
C'mon now, even Helen Keller could shoot a plastic rabbit, but good job on the coyote though.

Yes but everyone knows Helen shoots a minigun...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum