Texas Hunting Forum

homemade predator decoy?

Posted By: jruss09

homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 02:53 PM

I was wondering if anybody had made any succesful homemade predator decoys... if so can i have the plan?

Posted By: Navasot

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 03:04 PM

Get a chicken and tie it to a steak in the ground

Posted By: East

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 03:07 PM

I used to use a old rabbit skin, attach it to a close hanger, stick it in the ground and let the wind do its magic. Worked all the time.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: eastTXhunter300
I used to use a old rabbit skin, attach it to a close hanger, stick it in the ground and let the wind do its magic. Worked all the time.

80% of the time it works everytime

Posted By: East

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
Originally Posted By: eastTXhunter300

80% of the time it works everytime

happy3

Posted By: pafree

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 03:24 PM

if you need one that moves then this link has some good ideals on how to make one with a weasel ball. http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm Big Man on this forum made one but i can't find his thread.

truthfully, i priced making one and by the time you get all the pieces that you need unless you have stuff laying around. you could get a real one online. none of the stores near me carried the weasel ball and shipping is high for some reason. i kept searching and found one of the Mojo ones for around 30 bucks.

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 04:17 PM

I cut the sides from an old plastic corn bag and made streamers for it and tied it to a stake with string. Winds blows it easily and keeps their attention from me.Total cost, about .50 cents for a stick and string.

Posted By: jbd76266

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 04:21 PM

Wooden dowel tied with a turkey feather allowing it to blow in the breeze

Posted By: rustedspurs4

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 04:43 PM

I just made one from a weasle ball... it cost about 10$ shipped from amazon. you take half the ball off and attach it to a dowel rod or stick or whatever you have and turn it on.

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jbd76266
Wooden dowel tied with a turkey feather allowing it to blow in the breeze

^^ Has worked for 100 years.

Posted By: WestTex325

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 06:15 PM

One of those big catfishing rods, a small Teddy bear. Place Teddy bear out a little ways, when you see predator comming, call and reel in the teddy. Works.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 07:14 PM

Broken fishing rod, tie a piece of monofilament to the tip and add a feather. Poke it in the ground about 10 to 20 yards from where you set up.

Posted By: JThoele

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 11:22 PM

I have been using cheap foam rabbits on a coiled close hanger staked in the ground. Has been very effective so far. Several coyotes have came in too fast when I was hunting with a rifle and tackled the decoy. Also have had lost of hawks swoop on it.

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/26/12 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JThoele
I have been using cheap foam rabbits on a coiled close hanger staked in the ground.

where did you get them?

Posted By: JThoele

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/27/12 12:27 AM

I picked up one the other day at gander mtn for $9. They are a bland tanish gray color out of the box. I tried to make them look a little more natural with some paint and a sharpe marker. With a little wind motion they should be pretty effective I think.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2957947/Decoy_painting#Post2957947

Posted By: DesertHunting

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/27/12 07:11 AM

Two turkey feathers, 550 cord guts, one snap hook. Hang it on a tree branch.

Have used cassett tape before, but that's hard to come by these days - mp3 player guts don't work at all.

Posted By: Hunter_Man

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/27/12 06:01 PM

i used the wesel ball method... worked ok... a bit too much movement. trying feathers on a stick tomorrow at the big cat competition.

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/27/12 07:37 PM

Good luck in the hunt.

Cats are more visual and audio than smell, get their ears and eyes and you should have a great chance at a shot.

Necessity is the mother of invention - that and a poor man's wallet.

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/27/12 07:43 PM

One more thing while I'm at it.

Those shiny streamers that cheerleasers hang all over street signs, they work good too. Hang your decoy where you get the most visibility to it and a cat will be a cat.

My 2cents+ 2cents+ 2cents

Posted By: pigplinker

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 01/29/12 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: DesertHunting
Two turkey feathers, 550 cord guts, one snap hook. Hang it on a tree branch.

Have used cassett tape before, but that's hard to come by these days - mp3 player guts don't work at all.

Those new fangled apperaticies just don't recycle like the old fashion tapes.

Posted By: aoudadhunter

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 02/02/12 09:42 PM

In a pinch I use a couple quail feathers tied to a visable bush with a fishing string and letthem float in the wind. work great for bobcats

Posted By: ba_50

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 02/09/12 11:58 AM

I tried putting a weasel ball on a metal wire but it wouldn't stay on. How did you do it? Thanks.

Re: homemade predator decoy? - 02/09/12 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ba_50
I tried putting a weasel ball on a metal wire but it wouldn't stay on. How did you do it? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ThYP80M2eU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ltRfdk0Rkc

i have also seen one that BigMan made that is a sideways, two prong fork to hold the weasel ball. you could use a hose clamp to apply pressure on the forks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Py1Lk30iYc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIhjfXWpRR8&feature=player_embedded

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum