Texas Hunting Forum

Age of pigs

Posted By: whenmommaletsme

Age of pigs - 01/07/12 06:08 PM

I am curious on how to age hogs. I know a show pig can be 300lbs at 1 year. how do the wild ones compare?

We have killed two boars this year both over 200lbs.with very short teeth, is this a age factor?

Posted By: captdavid

Re: Age of pigs - 01/07/12 06:33 PM

Go to http://www.texasboars.com/articles/aging.html capt david

Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: Age of pigs - 01/07/12 06:53 PM

You can't go off of weight because diet an stuff effects that , also the teeth are kinda of hard to do because hogs eat alot of dirt while rooting around an it wears on there teeth I would say you might be able to get within 1 or 2 years on there teeth , but again diet plays a big roll , hogs around lots of feeders an cow feeders grown 10x faster than others , sows tend to get stunted because they get breed the first time they go in to heat an constantly raiseing pigs , I would say on average 100 pounds the first year because they were gettin milk an eattin to , then depending on food supply they prolly would average 40 to 50 pounds a year till they get around 300 to 325 , I have a hog at my place I was watchin for 6 yr an I found him dead last winter he was around 350 pounds an he was an easy 100 pounds when I first saw him , another hog I watched was a sow saw her from a pig till mow she's about 200 pounds an that's been 3 yes or so

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Age of pigs - 01/08/12 03:38 PM

Actually, the teeth are not hard to do up until the last molars come it at about 4 years because are going on tooth eruption more so than tooth wear. This is also about the time that the skeleton is reaching full maturity as well, save for the vertebral column.

The Texas Boars tooth aging is pretty close to what I have on hogs from various osteological studies. However, do note that the claims about the "hybrid tooth" or "Euro tooth" as it is sometimes called is completely bogus for determining if your hog is a hybrid or not. The tooth is definitely present in domestic hogs and feral hogs (which the author claims is not so) and are actually included in the normal tooth formula for hogs. The tooth is sometimes missing because of breakage or because of being vestigial much like the wisdom teeth in humans. Not all humans grow wisdom teeth or don't grow all of them. The claim about hybridization is completely bogus.
Agree on the weight not being useful.

Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Age of pigs - 01/08/12 03:47 PM

I'm curious about a good way to age pigs too, but I have to wonder why it would be necessary...

Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: Age of pigs - 01/08/12 05:14 PM

If there is milk onthe snout, they are babys. smirk None are too small to die!!!

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Age of pigs - 01/09/12 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm curious about a good way to age pigs too, but I have to wonder why it would be necessary...

For hunting purposes, it probably isn't necessary at all, just like knowing how much a dead pig weighs isn't necessary.

As livestock, tracking the age of your pigs is important in regard to how they are raised, kept, and butchered.

Posted By: ZenArchery

Re: Age of pigs - 01/09/12 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: captdavid

Yep

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum