Texas Hunting Forum

XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green?

Posted By: Jaydub

XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/14/11 09:11 PM

I've seen several threads regarding the use of this light, but no real consensus regarding color.

What do you think, red or green?

Posted By: MGS82

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/14/11 09:22 PM

I hear the red does not shine near as far as the green? I have been looking at getting one and will definetely be buying the green when and if I do get one.

Posted By: FFF21

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/14/11 09:25 PM

I can't compare green to red, but I have a green and am very satisfied with it.

Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/14/11 09:45 PM

Just my personal opinion, but I think pigs stand out from the background a little, teenie bit better when hit with green light. I don't know if it's something about my eyes or something about everyone's eyes, but it's noticeable to me (if not significant)...

Posted By: donswin

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/14/11 10:10 PM

If I understood them correctly, the red technically puts out more light (and uses more power) but the green light looks brighter to us. The red may show animals eyes better?

I have both leds (and a white) but have yet to see any animals to try them on since I got them. I do prefer the green when looking at my feeder.

Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/14/11 10:48 PM

I've got one. With all 3 colors. Green reaches a lil further than the red. Both are extremely good for any game. I've had coyotes, pigs, deer, and coons show up well with both. The only thing I've noticed is when less than 75 yds, deer tend to get spooky cause it's so bright. Only matters when you're looking for pigs and the deer spook. I've really enjoyed mine. Good luck with yours.

Posted By: MGS82

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/14/11 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboybam58
I've got one. With all 3 colors. Green reaches a lil further than the red. Both are extremely good for any game. I've had coyotes, pigs, deer, and coons show up well with both. The only thing I've noticed is when less than 75 yds, deer tend to get spooky cause it's so bright. Only matters when you're looking for pigs and the deer spook. I've really enjoyed mine. Good luck with yours.

How far would you say that you can identify a coyote or cat out to?

Posted By: Monkee

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 12:55 AM

I have 2 of the green ones as well and completely satisfied with the product. You can easily see eyes at 250+ yards and indentify critters at 200 yards.

Posted By: JoshW

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 01:32 AM

What about green or red led rope lights? Im looking to build my own feeder light system and Im researching my options on lights. The rope lights I was looking at are the kind that can be installed under a car

Posted By: chrisr489

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 01:44 AM

Buy the xlr 250 in green if you want the best visibility. The red is 30 lumens dimmer than the green. The distance to catch eyes is comparible with both but body identity is about 150 yards better with the green. The reason you find pigs better in green is because red does not create shadows and pigs eyes don't blow up like a yotes do. I have owned every color and both brands ( sniper hawg light and xlr) hawg light is more expensive and less quality in craftsmanship and parts. Hawg lights will not back their product up bit boondock-outdoors.com will back his product and won't charge shipping if it is flawed. You also won't have to pay sales tax on it from there. Shipping is free. And I will never hunt the dark without the xlr 250 ever again.

Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 02:04 AM

I think I'm going to be purchasing one of these soon. Gonna go with the 3 color one. Even if i mainly use the green it'd be nice to have a red right there too.

Posted By: Knightdiscshooter

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 04:15 AM

I use blue lights on my feeders and great luck. Don't spook them. I also have moonshine feeder lights on the feeder with red lens and also work well. I do perfer the blue tho.. much more clear thru the scope.

Posted By: tjshockler

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 03:18 PM

Check out boondockoutdoors.com good guy to deal with and they back their products !! These are good lights,go with the green!!!

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 04:04 PM

Good advice.

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 04:11 PM

Apparently the 250 XLR and their feeder lights are selling well... They can be difficult to find in stock, particularly the pro hunter package with 3 lights.

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 04:57 PM

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 06:33 PM

boondock-outdoors.com will have lights two you in 2 weeks even the holidays. I just ordered 12 lights last night. He said he is out of current stock but to expect them in two weeks.

Posted By: SowHntr

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 06:51 PM

[u][/u]
Originally Posted By: Monkee
I have 2 of the green ones as well and completely satisfied with the product. You can easily see eyes at 250+ yards and indentify critters at 200 yards.

Monkee is right on. I have spores eyes from about 275 with the red. And I was able to identify at 150. As far a quality the xlr 250 outshines my buddies bowlites, it is a rifle model.

My switch quit working and I sent it back to Texas direct and they sent me a new one, with no questions asked in two days. I was very impresses with customer service.

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/15/11 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: SowHntr
[u][/u]
Originally Posted By: Monkee

Monkee is right on. I have spores eyes from about 275 with the red. And I was able to identify at 150. As far a quality the xlr 250 outshines my buddies bowlites, it is a rifle model.

My switch quit working and I sent it back to Texas direct and they sent me a new one, with no questions asked in two days. I was very impresses with customer service.

i have had two switches go out...

Posted By: T3 Surf Rods

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/16/11 03:23 AM

just ordered 3 green today.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/16/11 03:27 AM

Green

Posted By: wkh2213

Re: XLR 250 Kill Light - Red or Green? - 12/16/11 03:58 AM

Bowlite is fantastic!!! Could see the edges of the paper targets folded over at 200yds, green or red!

Only lites I'll use, lifetime warranty and excellent customer service

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum