Texas Hunting Forum

Did I ruin hog meat?

Posted By: scot

Did I ruin hog meat? - 11/30/11 10:42 PM

I bought a cheap cooler that doesn't have a drain, I've been draining the water every night but the meat soaks in water all day, is it even worth trying to cook the meat or should I just trap a few more?

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Did I ruin hog meat? - 11/30/11 10:46 PM

as long as there is plenty of ice and you change out the water you'll be fine. I did this for the first time this year and it worked out good. Mine has a plug but it doesn't matter as long as it gets drained at least once a day. I was concerned about the color but once you take it out and complete the processing it turns back to a nice color and that gray look on the outside is only temporary. Next year though I will have the drain plug opened so the meat does not sit in water. There is no problem with it but after trying it this year I think i would prefer to do it that way. I'm looking for an old refrig to buy also to hang the meat in after I get home and take it out of the cooler to dry age a little longer.

Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Did I ruin hog meat? - 12/01/11 10:31 PM

Some people do that with big gnarly boars on purpose to get some of the musk flavor out. You should be fine.

Posted By: 556m4

Re: Did I ruin hog meat? - 12/04/11 02:10 AM

Soaking in water is good, gets blood out of meat. After all i bring it home and put it right back in salt water after its processed.

Posted By: big-tex

Re: Did I ruin hog meat? - 12/04/11 03:05 AM

Water is fine if it has ice. Another words meat needs to be kept cold.

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Did I ruin hog meat? - 12/05/11 04:41 PM

When we kill a hog we let the meat sit in ice water for about a week changing the water everyday. It pulls all the "gameyness" out of it for the most part...

Posted By: thechopblock

Re: Did I ruin hog meat? - 12/05/11 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78
Some people do that with big gnarly boars on purpose to get some of the musk flavor out. You should be fine.

X2

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Did I ruin hog meat? - 12/05/11 07:41 PM

Just like purging some crawfish

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum