Texas Hunting Forum

Red light

Posted By: dirtynix

Red light - 12/06/07 01:08 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the red light used for in varmit hunting?

Posted By: TX_TrophyHuntinBassPro

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 01:56 PM

Its not as bright. Therefore, it doesnt scare the varmits as bad. I have used a red light may times and would highly recommend it.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 02:06 PM

It reduces your night blindness. You will be able to see better in the dark. Like when you go into a dark room your eyes have to adjust, but by using red light your eyes will not be affected like with regular light.

Posted By: psg1954

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 02:11 PM

Quote:

It reduces your night blindness. You will be able to see better in the dark. Like when you go into a dark room your eyes have to adjust, but by using red light your eyes will not be affected like with regular light.

Exactly.

Red light will not negatively effect your night sight which makes it ideal for any night time activity. My other over priced hobby is offshore sailing races and we use red LEDs to do everything at night, good night vision is a huge safety issue.

Posted By: MontagueBowBuster

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 02:47 PM

Among everything these guys have already said, someone told me that the red light is just hard for them to see and that probably has something to do with it not being as bright.

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 06:35 PM

So, do you have problems with your scope picking up enough light?

Posted By: gscheig

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 06:54 PM

bottom line, the light is to get a reflection off their eyes. the red does not spook them as much as white, but keep either pointed above the animal with them in the "halo"

Posted By: TX_TrophyHuntinBassPro

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 08:40 PM

Nix

You shouldn't have any trouble picking up light through even a decent scope. If it is raining or really cold out you could ultimately have problems. It shouldn't take much time to find what your looking for through your scope at night. It just takes practice/experience.

Posted By: bigbuckboy

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 09:44 PM

i always see blue after using the red spot light

Posted By: Wild Boar

Re: Red light - 12/06/07 10:57 PM

I like the amber lens better than the red it seems to light up the eyes a little better. As far as picking up enough light to see thru the scope hold the light in front of you if it gets behind the scope it will make it nearly impossibly to see thru the scope(glare from the lens).

Re: Red light - 12/07/07 01:02 AM

Thanks for the info

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Red light - 12/07/07 01:18 AM

THE REASON FOR THE RED LIGHT IS ANIMALS INABILITY TO SEE RED!

Posted By: cajundave

Re: Red light - 12/07/07 02:01 AM

Quote:

And it's hard for them to see as stated all reasons the military uses them(also map reading but doesn't pretain).

Posted By: passthru

Re: Red light - 12/07/07 02:26 AM

What about using red glow sticks around the feeder at night? They last a long time and might eliminate the need for a spot light. Any experience?

Posted By: HunterTed

Re: Red light - 12/08/07 12:56 AM

I have a red light (Hawg Lite) that mounts on the front of my bow. Shines great out to 30 yards and gives off enough light to shoot hogs, varmits, rabbits, etc. They never even know I am there.

Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Red light - 12/08/07 03:09 AM

I have always used a red light because I heard it would not spook them as much as a white light....also I have heard that it did not matter if it was red just any color would work

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum