Texas Hunting Forum

Best Hog County in Texas?

Posted By: Coach Floyd

Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 05:47 PM

I've only hunted a couple. I've hunted Haskell co. the most, and vary rarely leave without seeing tons of pigs. Just wanted to get something started and hear from fellas who hunt other parts of the state.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 06:00 PM

Jim Hogg Co, of course

Posted By: KBTXHunter

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 06:14 PM

I think there are 254 of 'em if you wanna get picky...

Posted By: sandman05

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 07:12 PM

Just choose a county theres plenty of them

Posted By: pafree

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 07:13 PM

counties that have major rivers and oil pipelines. the hogs seem to use them as highways and then branch off from there. our lease drains into the start of a creek leading to the trinity river and it also has a major pipeline right a way running down the middle and if you look at the tracks on the pipeline, it looks like there must be a traffic jam after dark.

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 08:42 PM

We hunt in Cass County and our lease is covered up with them with little relief thru the guys on our lease. We only take a few each year . I put out 2 cameras for 2 1/2 months last year and got 1000 pics of hogs coming to the feeders.

Posted By: jmc82

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 09:13 PM

Hunt county has a couple

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/18/11 09:16 PM

all of them.

Posted By: NacHunter

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/19/11 03:16 AM

Navarro, Freestone, Leon are pretty full of pigs. Ellis too. Just about any county along the Trinity will have plenty of them. Pigs seem to reproduce faster in counties with active farming. They don't seem to have the concentration of population in the East Texas pine belt. That has to do with food.

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/19/11 07:05 AM

I know we have a ton in the southern part of Armstrong county in the palo duro canyon.

Posted By: klr

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/19/11 11:16 PM

I hear there are tons of hogs up in the Panhandle region. Where for sure I don't know, but I've heard of huge hog numbers in Briscoe, Motley and a few other counties. Hogs are just about everywhere these days.

Posted By: SemperFiHunter

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/20/11 12:31 AM

Stonewall Co. gets my vote.

Southern Kaufman Co. ain't too shabby neither!

Posted By: 4K outdoors and taxidermy

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/20/11 01:48 AM

Worst county Would have to be Reagan, every now and then one will get lost and someone will see it, but a pig hunter would starve out here.

Posted By: pnh

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/20/11 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: 4K outdoors and taxidermy
Worst county Would have to be Reagan, every now and then one will get lost and someone will see it, but a pig hunter would starve out here.
Then that would make it the best, IMO!

Posted By: Coach Floyd

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/20/11 05:11 PM

I coach in Reagan County, and that is kind of why I asked the question. I grew up in Snyder, and neighboring Kent and Clairemont counties are full of hogs. I haven't seen any hogs in Reagan County, but Reagan is most definitely a game rich co. I have seen tons of deer, dove, turkey, javelina, and all types of varmints. All of those counties on the hog distribution map don't have the same frequency of hogs.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/20/11 05:23 PM

Leon, robertson, limestone, madison, houston, are my favorites...even brazos, walker, montgomery countys hav a bunch too....im gona have to give it to leon county..with the giant Navasot bottom and the huge trinity river both goin through it...also easy ruttin sand hills and black land oak filled bottoms everywere...just a perfect area for pigs.

Posted By: Texas_ram

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/21/11 05:11 PM

Great thread! Makes for some very interesting reading! Thanks!

Posted By: MeanGreenTuning

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/28/11 03:14 PM

Erath and Eastland Countys are pretty good for hogs.

Posted By: 4K outdoors and taxidermy

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/28/11 06:05 PM

Pigdestroyer, when your free sometime come by the shop and shoot the breeze. I've lived and hunted this area all my life and always looking for a fresh ear to bend.

Posted By: calcreek

Re: Best Hog County in Texas? - 10/28/11 08:56 PM

Pretty good population in Jones county...

This feeder had been out for 4 days when I took this photo.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum