Texas Hunting Forum

Need javelina advice!!!

Posted By: Texas Heat

Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 07:46 PM

Just checked my game cam at our ranch in Burnet county and for the last 3 nights my corn has been murdered by a pack of a dozen javelinas that appeared out of thin air!

We have never had hogs or javelinas in the 3 years we have been there, not one sighting or picture. Our ranch has a 5 strand fence all around so I don't see how they got in. None of the neighboring ranches have ever seen them either so it doesn't make sense.

So my question is how do I exterminate this problem before it explodes and we are overran by the nasty little creatures? Spotlight at night? Traps?

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 08:02 PM

Sorry................they are a game animal. You are legally allowed 2 per season in Tx. Hunting them at night illegal, exterminating illegal. Your county may not even offer a season for them, you will need to check. You may be stuck like Chuck. Best of luck though

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 08:03 PM

Legally, they are a game animal, cannot be hunted at night, and have a limit of two per year.

Maybe corn the roads during the day with some buddies, two each.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 08:04 PM

Just looked it up, there is no season in Burnet county to hunt them at all

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob in TX
Legally, they are a game animal, cannot be hunted at night, and have a limit of two per year.

Maybe corn the roads during the day with some buddies, two each.

He can't Bob, there is no season. He will just have to let the herd grow cheerleader

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 08:11 PM

Can you post some pics? By the way 5 strand fencing will not keep nothing in or out.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 08:11 PM

Bummer.........call the GW.

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 08:17 PM

Are you certain they are not pigs? I can't imagine javelina in Burnet County. Not calling you a liar, i just have never heard of them being there. I do know there are a lot of pigs there though, have shot a number of them myself. Where in Burnet county are you talking about?

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 10:23 PM

Definately javelina bwk, will post pics later. Our ranch is between Marble falls and Round Mountain.
So you mean to tell me I can't do anything to the nasty little corn theives??? Wow that sucks! They are running the deer off from the corn every night now, I have pictures showing it happening. I guess I need to call the gw and see what he says.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Can you post some pics? By the way 5 strand fencing will not keep nothing in or out.
there is no way they can squeeze through the wires and they can't go over it, dunno how they got by it.

Posted By: Jordanp252

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 10:51 PM

choot em.. I have about 10 that come to my feeder, 2 per me, 2 per my wife, 2 per my friends, we will thin a few out this year. Ever since they showed up deer have left my feeder. They are aggressive.

Posted By: postoak

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 10:55 PM

I also wouldn't think a 5 stand barbed wire fence would keep out hogs or javelina. Anyway, you can build hog proof fences around your feeders.

Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 11:19 PM

yep feeder pens around all the feeders they will move on to some other ranch

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/16/11 11:38 PM

Call TPWD.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 12:56 AM

Sadly I honestly believe someone transported these to our ranch. The owner has family that comes out and releases quail/pheasants to hunt and they are very shady. We think they have poached deer at night with spotlights, one of them sure was joking about it last year.

Well a couple months ago one of them was "joking" about bringing some hogs out and releasing them to try and populate the ranch for "year round fun". I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 06:16 PM

ok here is the pic, like I said definately not hogs!

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 06:20 PM

Nope...not hogs

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 06:22 PM

5 strand fence will do nothing...hogs and havys even reek havok on hog fencing and high fence places...something like an armidillo or a wash out will start a hole then its game over...ive never trapped any havys but im sure it could be done..if you cant kill them there call tpwd and see if you or they can trap and relocate them

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 06:31 PM

He might be talking field fencing or no climb, but stranded wire will do nothing to stop pigs.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 07:01 PM

Just got off the phone with the local GW, extremely nice guy. He didnt know what to say about it, said this is the first report of them he has ever had here and wanted me to send pics so he could make sure it wasnt hogs.

He is going to research what can be done in this case and let me know. I will keep the updates in this thread, hopefully ending with kill shots lol.

All my buddies are telling me im an idiot for contacting the GW and I should of just shot em and been done with it, but im not trying to get my butt in a sling over some Javelina.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 07:12 PM

This may sound really strange.............but for once TH I agree!!!! those are javis!!! Nice herd of em to, best of luck

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 07:19 PM

Javis will go under hog or cattle panels if they can. May look like a coon has been going through, but they get in the pens by going under. Need to put large rocks in those places. I've snared a couple that were doing that when I thought it was coons.

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 07:20 PM

Well GW just got back to me, he said sadly we cant touch them in any way. Cant be hunted or trapped.

He wants me to write a letter to the headquarters and include the pictures. He says he is pretty sure that we will get a Javelina season started in Burnet county, would be cool to be the reason why it got started.

Two of our neighboring counties already have it, LLano and Blanco county. It sucks because we are about a quartermile from the Blanco county line.

Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 07:35 PM

hunters, deer, and javis have co-existed in S.TX for a 100yrs

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 08:04 PM

Look on the bright side. Some hunters pay to shoot javelinas.

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 08:27 PM

Invest in a sling shot

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 09:03 PM

Forget the slingshot, my buddy has a paintball gun that shoots 20 balls per second. I bet some frozen paintballs would make them think twice about coming and eating all my corn.

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/17/11 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Heat
Sadly I honestly believe someone transported these to our ranch. The owner has family that comes out and releases quail/pheasants to hunt and they are very shady. We think they have poached deer at night with spotlights, one of them sure was joking about it last year.

Well a couple months ago one of them was "joking" about bringing some hogs out and releasing them to try and populate the ranch for "year round fun". I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this.

Yeah i don't think they got there on their own. I'm sure TPW will come up with something for you! Feel for you until then..

Posted By: Wacohunter36

Re: Need javelina advice!!! - 10/18/11 08:53 PM

We hunt in Mexico and dont have a problem with them getting in our feed pens but they will clean up any corn put out on senderos.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum