Texas Hunting Forum

rabbit dogs

Posted By: duckdown

rabbit dogs - 09/15/11 01:57 AM

im gettin mine in shape and ready to roll. anybody else?

Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: rabbit dogs - 09/15/11 02:01 AM

i wish!! my buddys got stolen an dont know any body eles with none , i got hog an coon dogs , i sure like to watch them lil beagles hunt though,

Posted By: passthru

Re: rabbit dogs - 09/15/11 02:18 AM

I have one that chases any varmint it sees and bays like a big dog. We were told he was a beagle but he is twice the size of ours. Free to you and if he doesn't work out do what you will with him. If not he will go to the deer lease . . .

Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: rabbit dogs - 09/16/11 08:28 AM

I need to buy two beagle friend of mine has one.I want them ready to run. I hope I get to bring two back from Carolina cousine have some. I Rabbit hunted all my life and love it.

Posted By: topwater1956

Re: rabbit dogs - 09/17/11 02:31 AM

I just got a male and a female (blue ticks) beagals. I found one on craigslist free to a good home and the other one cost me $150. Neither one has ever hunted but, when i put a leash on them and leave their pen their noses are on the ground and pulling hard on the leash. Since its cooler i'm fixing to start trying to train them to track rabbits. Rabbit hunting is alot of fun.

Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: rabbit dogs - 09/19/11 06:21 AM

Good luck Topwater I love to hunt rabbits.

Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: rabbit dogs - 09/19/11 11:37 PM

Duck, how did that breeding from last year turn out for you?

Re: rabbit dogs - 09/30/11 08:38 PM

la beagler she didnt take. been runnin tryin to get them in shape. we sure could use some rain. it would make trackin alot better. how bout you?

Re: rabbit dogs - 10/01/11 05:06 PM

i know what you mean about the rain ,my hog dogs haveing a heck of a time , an shoot coon hunting anit much better if they hit a feild they get there nose full of dirt

Re: rabbit dogs - 10/01/11 06:07 PM

i know thats right. never seen it so dry. ran this morn. and dogs jumped a rabbit and stayed with it maybe five min. and could not run him any futher. just to dry. cant smell

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/19/11 01:58 AM

woo hoo scenting is getting better. had a good run this evening. anybody else running any rabbits?

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/19/11 02:56 AM

how many did you get ? them lil suckers are fun to run

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/21/11 01:05 AM

didnt shoot any. had three good races. it is alot of fun.

Re: rabbit dogs - 12/04/11 09:18 PM

anybody running any rabbits?

Posted By: MVILL

Re: rabbit dogs - 12/05/11 06:47 AM

No, never tried but I have about 10-20 under each of my deer feeders. LOL

Looks like it getting cold enough to start thinning them out

Posted By: redchevy

Re: rabbit dogs - 12/05/11 03:16 PM

I have a beagle, traditional rabit dog... and she is getting in shape as well.... especialy to roll rofl

After thanksgiving she is as round as i've ever seen!

Posted By: rabryant

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/13/12 04:42 AM

anybody have a grown small female beagle,running and broke for sale in texas

Posted By: Jpepper

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/13/12 05:30 PM

I've got a couple of dogs I'll run on some rabbits. Have a few friends that go rabbit hunting and use grey hounds....

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/13/12 06:32 PM

Where they out of runining grey hounds ??

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/13/12 09:13 PM

Just outside of Colorado in Boulder. I've heard that they are very hard to come by and most breeders won't sale you one with out it's nuts clipped.

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/13/12 10:37 PM

hey rabryant sent u a pm

Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/14/12 06:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Jpepper
Just outside of Colorado in Boulder. I've heard that they are very hard to come by and most breeders won't sale you one with out it's nuts clipped.

Do you think you could train up an adopted, retired racing greyhound to be a rabbit courser?

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/16/12 04:47 PM

I think it could be done. Wasn't chasing rabbits one of the main motives in greyhounds racing?

Posted By: RocksAndKittens

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/16/12 05:01 PM

I think it is possible, they use plush rabbits as the lures in the races.

Re: rabbit dogs - 01/16/12 07:04 PM

Little video I pulled off youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Bec-CmphI

Dogs are getting after that rabbit!

Re: rabbit dogs - 10/11/12 05:36 PM

getting that time to start running my beagles. any one else runnin?
Posted By: PD

Re: rabbit dogs - 10/12/12 04:34 AM

Where do y'all hunt rabbits in Texas? We have a ton of them in my suburban neighborhood, but I never see them out in the woods...

Re: rabbit dogs - 10/12/12 04:07 PM

i hunt them in the woods and thickets here where i live.
Posted By: macec3(TX)

Re: rabbit dogs - 10/13/12 12:24 PM

Our place has about 40 acres with a coated poultry wire fence around it. Previous owner had this area set aside for beagle field trials. He had 3 species of rabbits in the pastures and he had a lot of beagles. We have a beagle and a beagle/rat terrier cross. They run amost every morning after weather gets cool. Fun to watch them working. That beagle has a good mouth on him. The beagle/rat cross just yelps.

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/01/12 07:59 PM

yea theres a lot of pens in arkansas
Posted By: KDTidwell

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/01/12 08:32 PM

SwampHunter....if it looks like a beagle and bays, but is twice the size, chances are you have a Walker dog. Excellent for hunting hogs or anything else in Texas.

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/02/12 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: KDTidwell
SwampHunter....if it looks like a beagle and bays, but is twice the size, chances are you have a Walker dog. Excellent for hunting hogs or anything else in Texas.

What are you talking bout ?? Ya I gotta walker gyp i use on hogs an a Redtick

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/02/12 01:27 AM

Sorry, not swamphunter...should have been for passthru, in reference to his extra large beagle he was offering to give away. Bad eyes on a small iPhone I got the names mixed up

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/02/12 11:57 AM

Oh ok haha , I was confused

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/02/12 05:11 PM

Sorry, my bad! Lol....dang my very first comment on this forum and start out looking like an idiot lol

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/02/12 05:29 PM

Haha it's cool , you hunt with dogs what kind you got ? I got hog dogs a few curs an a few hounds

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/03/12 01:53 AM

Actually I don't, but know many who do. I take my mini Aussie coyote hunting, he attracts them better than my mouth call seems to. And on one occasion he brought a 220# boar to me at a dead run...that was touch and go as to who was going to get the better of who. Lol but that's the extent of hunting with dogs, but I have many friends and family who hunt pork with dogs. Anywhere from walkers, to pits, to cattahoulas...I've been wanting to go sometime with them, just never seem to get the time to go when they are going. But one day I will, and I'm sure I'll get the fever like so many others. Lol

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/03/12 03:16 AM

you can go with us some time , Huckabay, Texas anit to far we hunt over near there some , i got a stag hound that can will kill a yote ever chance i give him

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/03/12 08:28 PM

Sounds good! Let me know when you'll be out this way.
Posted By: Rockstar.3345

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/05/12 03:21 AM

If y'all ever kill any y'all are just going to toss give me a shout. I could always use a dead rabbit.
Posted By: Smith#34

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/05/12 12:31 PM

Duck or swamp, do either one of y'all got a good squirrel dog for sale? I know this is off topic but I got a buddy looking for one and this reminded me of it.

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/05/12 03:03 PM

I saw one on easttexashogdoggers dog trade a week or so back , but that's the only one I know of

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/06/12 11:14 PM

Dont know of any smith. look on squirrelhaters.net or squirreldogcentral.com if i hear of one ill let u know. got a female akc reg beagle for 150.00 if u hear of anyone needing one
Posted By: M Bennet

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/07/12 04:01 PM

call raymond 940 531 1656 he has 2 for sale

Re: rabbit dogs - 11/12/12 12:19 AM

man this rain was much needed here. been runnin rabbits all evening. scenting is good.
Posted By: HR3

Re: rabbit dogs - 12/06/12 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: duckdown
man this rain was much needed here. been runnin rabbits all evening. scenting is good.

when you running them again?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum