Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Hunting Sidearm?

Posted By: Cavscout1968

Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/21/11 03:08 PM

I will visiting Texas in December to visit the in-laws and scout some houses for our move next year. I have arranged a 1 day hog hunt on a family members lease. This took alot of work by them and I very grateful to both them, the lease owner and other leasees since it will be during deer season(going out on 27 Dec).

I will be taking down my .308 for the actual hunt, but should I bring a sidearm? If so, I saw on another thread that Texas doesn't have open carry like we do in Wisconsin, does that also count during hunting? Is there any other gear you would recommend I bring? I would assume most I could borrow, but I hate to do that, I always feel like a leech doing that.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/21/11 03:35 PM

98 times out of 100 (or higher) you won't need a sidearm. Only time you need one is when you wound a pig and it gets into heavy brush, and you're bent on recovery. In cases like that I carry a .357 S&W. Hog's don't require fancy gear to hunt. I suspect you'll be shooting from a box blind over a corn feeder. Just wear some basic camo and you're set. If you're night hunting you don't even need that.

Posted By: Wader

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/21/11 03:39 PM

On private land you can open carry while hunting. In all likely hood you will never need a side arm, especially when hunting with a rifle. Still, I always like to be prepared and I carry a .357 and have dropped several hogs with it, but only once have I needed it in any sort of emergency capacity. A couple of my buddies carry .45s and they have also put meat in the freezer with them.

If you are hunting in summer you will want a tall boots for snakes, thermocell for skeeters, and the Grace of God on your side for chiggers. Actually for chiggers if you can keep them from getting up your pant legs and keep a shirt tucked in they tend to not be able to find a way in. Also, don't forget a cooler and ice, meat does not keep long when it is hotter outside than the animals core temp to begin with.

Best of luck to you!

-ww

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/21/11 03:43 PM

No, in the field on private property you may carry any weapon.
How I have my gear set up is a cordage for dragging, a pair of gloves simply because I have a toddler and do not want to bring fleas in the house.
A very sharp knife, plenty of ammo, flash light/spot light NV if you can is very help ful of the dark night.
And some friends to have fun with and assist getting the fatty's in the bed of your truck is always nice. up
As far as a side arm, I have a .40 that works well. The key is placement and that will affect anything that you shoot.
But good luck and I hope you have fun.

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/21/11 04:21 PM

I prefer to carry a sidearm when I'm out in the woods even with a rifle, just in case.

Snake boots was something else I was going to ask about, I figured summer they would be needed, I've seen you guys talk about snakes since May, but would they be needed in December? I plan on buying some once I move, but wasn't sure if I'd need them for this hunt.

I've only briefly talked to the wifes uncle, who will be taking me, where and when we'll hunt. I would also assume a blind of some sort, but have heard of you guys stalking them and that sounds fun, but I might bring my AR if thats the case.

Posted By: Wader

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/21/11 04:51 PM

I missed the December part. In winter wear layers, because it can quite literally go from well below freezing to the mid 80's and back in a few hours anywhere in Texas. And getting sweaty mid-day and then sitting around still in a blind or stand at night is not fun.

I wear my snake boots year round, but that is just because they are comfortable and it rarely gets so cold that good socks don't provide enough insulation. Also snake boots help with briers, blackberries, cactus, and other thorny things.

Depending on where you hunt, spot and stalk is about as fun as it gets, but unless the property is very open it is hard to do - especially with hogs going nocturnal with hunting pressure. An AR with an illuminated reticle or dot scope and with a good light attached is a great tool for hunting at night. I have yet to try any NV scopes, though I use an NV monocular quite a bit to see if I should light them up or not at bow ranges.

-ww

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/21/11 06:44 PM

The thing with snakes is yes they are revelent in Texas. However the are cold blooded species. So what ever the ambient tempurature is, will be their body temp as well.
My dad is one of the guys who decided to go and participate in these rattlesnake hunts, I have gone with him when he has needed me. Personally I'm fearless when it comes to these animals. Fearless not stupid, I always wear boots. But in december the likihood of running into a snake will be doubtful. They will be den'd up for winter hibernating.

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/22/11 12:05 AM

I think I'll pack my .40 down just in case, if I take it out I'll decide when I get down there. The rifle and my pistol fit in my Pelican case. Then I'll just grab my hunting pack, binos, sunflower seeds, 2 flashlights, skinning knife, few other things I'll learned to possible need out there.

I am not a fan of snakes, I know I'll run into them sooner or later living down there, but still not a fan. Used to have a 1SG that hunted them when stationed at Ft Bliss. He loved it, would hunt them with a .44 loaded with little bird shot rounds. They are mighty tasty grilled up, not something I want to go looking for.

The animals will still have fleas in December? What about ticks are they still active? I just ordered a set of tick free pants, but due to only being good for 70 washes only want to wear them while they are active.

So how cold is it likely to get? Will 3 decent layers work? A layer of Under Armour, a Base2 Condor 1/2 zip and a decent fleece sound okay? I shouldn't need to bring down my Wisconsin winter bibs, should I?

Posted By: Okiebug

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/22/11 08:43 PM

I carry my Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull w/ a Burris Fastfire or the Ruger SR 44mag Alaskan.

I used to carry a 357mag GP100 but after recovering 300+lb boars I felt under gunned.

Posted By: KC

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/23/11 04:37 AM

Why?

I killed an 1,100# cow with a single shot from a .357 once. She didn't even charge me, just died real quick like...

Posted By: Okiebug

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/23/11 09:43 AM

It is not that a 357 won't kill a hog, it is very capable of doing so. It is just my feeling that IF I were to be charged I want overkill. Because if in the heat of the moment I don't make a well placed shot, I want to know I have inflected as much damage as possible. Don't get me wrong I am a very good marksman and have taken several animals with pistols. Many with a 357. It is the same reason I carry a 45ACP as my CHL gun, I don't trust a 9mm. JMO

Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/23/11 08:15 PM

my usual is a .44 mag or .45 colt with hot loads and 300 grain cast bullets....revolvers are for hunting, autos for self defense.

Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/23/11 08:24 PM

I'd be prepared with it. I carry a .45ACP at all times while on my land.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/24/11 09:22 PM

I have a new judge I have been itching to try on a hog.

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 06/28/11 03:02 AM

Wear the underarmour and a decent jacket. Sale the bib before you move down here. I don't even know what one is and have never gotten terribly cold. Remember, in Texas we're apt to close school just because its below 20.

Posted By: SemperFiHunter

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 03:59 AM

Dec in TX is about like Sep/Oct in WI. You will think we are a bunch of sissies for wearing all of the clothing/layers some of us will have on. You might want to bring some long sleeve camo T-shirts and BDU trousers so you don't sweat to death.

I was born and raised in East Texas, but served 10 years in the Marine Corps, and my "Northern" buddies laughed at me in S. Korea in Jan. But I laughed at them in the Persian Gulf in Jul.

Texas weather is unpredictable to say the least. But I doubt it will be too cool for you.

And, Heck Yeah, bring your pistol. We don't have open carry, but we do have the "Castle Law" and you can keep your pistol in your truck even if you're just going to the 7-11. Besides, your more likely to need it for "urban swine" than wild pigs.

Come on down to Texas and have some fun. And don't forget to give us an update when you get back.

SFH

Posted By: Knightdiscshooter

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 04:03 AM

I carry a 45 on the lease all time and so does the wife. I've put down a hog with mine.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 04:59 AM

As mentioned dress in some layers that are comfy and you can move around quietly, good set of boots, snake boots are not a necessity at the moment, good socks. Camo Is nice but not really needed whats more important is to spray on some scent eliminator and play the wind.

Guns Depend on conditions, When going to land I have never been on I carry 4 guns and decide when I get there on what to use. My Choice is Light .308 or .243 with scope for longer shots, My Ar for stalking general purpose, Short compact Shotgun for close thick brush, and My Sig P228 9MM for close brush if I'm carrying a Rifle.

Other Misc Equipment
GOOD SHARP KNIFE hogs will dull a knife quick, bring a good sharpener as well if you plan to shoot alot of hogs. Binoculars are good for stalking but I tend to leave them once I exit a vehicle in lieu of using the Rifle Scope. I always carry a little Backpack from camelbak that has plenty of good H2o and enough room for a good first aid kit and some basic survival supplies especially on land I don't know. The pack also carries a small compact LED flashlight and some CLIFF bars they taste like crap but make a good snack on longer hunts.

Posted By: Sage

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 12:14 PM

I just bought a FN FiveSeveN as my hog sidearm and concealed carry for the penetration without overpenetration. My dad uses a Tokarev 7.62x25 as his and loves it. Both are great.

Posted By: 1shot

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 12:51 PM

.45LC

Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 01:55 PM

they bout said it all on the knives i ually have at least two or more and a good sharpner, as said hogs and really big hogs will dull a knife faster than anything i ever hunted or cleaned have fun in texas my friend

Posted By: tth_40

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 04:44 PM

I carry a .357, .40 or .45..they all will work just fine. Don't put yourself in a situation where they are needed. Ought to be a good time, hog hunting here in Texas is a blast. cheers

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 05:56 PM

What you need....

1. Sighted in rifle with extra ammo
2. Binocs
3. Sharp hunting knife
4. Clothing to accodate temps from 70's-freezing

anything more will just weigh you down, and when I take people hunting that I havent hunted with before it makes me nervous when they start strapping on pistols

Posted By: 512blaster

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 10:24 PM

my buddy shot a hog three times in the head this weekend with a .357 first shot blew out its jaw (which didnt even phase the damn thing) the second was in between the eyes but i think it was a little low and the third put him to sleep, those suckers sure can take a lickin.

Posted By: 512blaster

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 10:25 PM

@ sage have you gotten to shoot a hog yet with that five seven Im sure that would be fun

Posted By: dawaba

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/16/11 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
What you need....

1. Sighted in rifle with extra ammo
2. Binocs
3. Sharp hunting knife
4. Clothing to accodate temps from 70's-freezing

anything more will just weigh you down, and when I take people hunting that I havent hunted with before it makes me nervous when they start strapping on pistols

+1. I own handguns and shoot handguns. But I've NEVER felt I needed one while hunting in Texas, or even in Alaska, and I've been up there 13 times. If you MUST have more firepower, just pack some extra ammo for your rifle.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/17/11 02:08 AM

I can tell you with all honesty I have shot a lot of hogs with a handgun that I would have missed trying to swing a rifle.

More than that I don't carry a Handgun for Animals with 4 legs.

Posted By: ThreeFingerPete

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/17/11 02:23 AM

If I felt the need, I'd say that either my 10mm G20 or .454 Casull Alaskan would do the job nicely.

Posted By: prickly pear

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/17/11 09:11 PM

Don't know where in tx you are hunting but if it is south tx snakes will be out if the weather is warm, I have killed several in dec and jan. good hunting

Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/18/11 03:56 PM

Take an AR-10 in .308 and you will have a great time. I have never carried a sidearm when rifle hunting. Never saw the need or wanted the extra weight.

When bow hunting, however, I do carry a Glock .40S&W. I have a CCL so I can carry a sidearm during bow only season. I am not about to be in the woods (especially in warm weather) without a sidearm when bow hunting.

I think some guys just like to strap on a pistol and if you are one of those then that is OK - whatever makes you happy. Hunting is all about fun and let's face it we like bows and guns or we would not be doing this. Meat is much cheaper to buy at the supermarket (and alot of times tastes better!).

Posted By: duke08

Re: Hog Hunting Sidearm? - 07/18/11 06:53 PM

Just wear the clothes that are comfortable for the temp. No special color or patter. Hell wear lime green if u wanna. Pigs cant see well at all. As for the sidearm. I dont carry one anymore. No need. Just someone with an AR. wink

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum