Texas Hunting Forum

How to kill a hog in a trap

Posted By: jaymz

How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/15/11 07:06 PM

Obviously, shooting it in the head with a .40 isn't as effective as I would have thought. This one took 5 shots.

(warning, some foul language and a dying pig below)

Posted By: SIG04CHAD

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/15/11 07:20 PM

get closer and hit it behind the ear. we use a .22 and kills them with one shot behind or in the ear

Posted By: Ponyboy

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/15/11 07:26 PM

Wow.

I used a suppressed P22. One shot usually gets it but if it's still breathing in a couple of seconds it gets another one.

Posted By: Scoop

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 01:05 AM

I was using my 40 and pretty much 1 shot, 1 kill. Changed ammo to cheaper FMJ rounds and it would not put them down cleanly anymore... Went back to my old rounds and its good again. Don't use cheaper FMJ target rounds. Use ammo that will blow up on impact. FMJ pass-thru shots just tick them off.

Posted By: GUTIT

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 01:16 AM

get closer. Hell, itty, bitty hog not gonna get you. My 14 year old uses a Cricket .22 on hogs that small, right behind the ear. minimal blood, no mess. drag them out and get to skinning.

Posted By: KC

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 02:06 AM

I have done extensive structural and biological testing on hogs and I have come to the conclusion that they are indeed NOT made of Kevlar, titanium, kryptonite, or depleted uranium. PS, if you shoot a deer in the jaw, neck, or any other non CNS hub it won't die immediately. Even totally destroying the heart will not immediately incapacitate an animal in some cases. Know where to shoot, then shoot there and hit what you're aiming at.

Posted By: rsquared

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 02:27 AM

i know the problem...

you clearly weren't using the right catch phrase..

they don't respond to "freeze mofo" anymore...it's too 1990's

you might try going with "eat lead dirtbag" or "you just dug your own grave a-hole" banana

those should do the trick.

funny video...btw...

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 02:32 AM

By the way, they were target rounds, checked afterwards.. Oops. My bad no matter though, she's going to kubys tomorrow.

Posted By: StanMan1911

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 02:32 AM

Or maybe, "do you feel lucky punk?" No? Too cliche?

Posted By: bowassin

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 02:49 AM

.22 behind ear one shot works everytime

Posted By: KC

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 02:50 AM

Oh well yeah, target rounds are designed to just go through one sheet of paper then fall to the ground harmlessly thereafter. Hitting a non-vital area with a .223 that expands 100% still only leaves a .44 caliber hole which still won't immediately incapacitate a hog. Not much difference between .40 and .44 when it's a direct CNS hit. If it's not, then it doesn't matter what you're shooting unless the projectile literally explodes (like boom, dynamite!) on contact. I do all of my pig hunting with cast bullets. It's all in where you hit them...

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 03:02 AM

Every shot was through the head, it was creepy

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/16/11 03:04 AM

Wow. .22 Lr Stinger HP to the Ear Canal from a Ruger Single Six has dispatched alto of hogs for me.

Posted By: HOG.DOGS

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/18/11 03:10 PM

Get them out a live an then kill them out side the trap

Posted By: Scalpel4

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/18/11 03:23 PM

It looked like he kept shooting it in the sinus cavity, thats probably why it took so long. Should have went for the temple.

Posted By: TooLow

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/18/11 03:31 PM

Yep I couldn't believe it took 5 shots to take her out.

Posted By: Believer

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/18/11 05:38 PM

None of the shots were into the brain.......even .22 shorts we use; have never had a hog get back up....... twitch a lot....yes.....but never get up..... is always all about shot placement.........

Dave

Posted By: tejaschaos

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 12:45 AM

I went through this same thing. (6) .45 acp's IN THE EAR and the hog finally gave up. Got made fun of, "can't kill a hog with 6 shots!?!" They were target rounds, too. Next few I dropped with a single .22 right between the eyes. I was amazed at what that little bullet did.

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: GUTIT
get closer. Hell, itty, bitty hog not gonna get you. My 14 year old uses a Cricket .22 on hogs that small, right behind the ear. minimal blood, no mess. drag them out and get to skinning.

we have a pink cricket .22 we use just for that, poppin' pigs in the trap.

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Believer
None of the shots were into the brain.......even .22 shorts we use; have never had a hog get back up....... twitch a lot....yes.....but never get up..... is always all about shot placement.........

Dave

Ill post pics of the skull when im back out there, trust me, the rounds went through the brain, just from the top as opposed to the side (ear).

Lessons learned.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 12:32 PM

Got to shoot them in the right spot in the head, like that alligator show. Generally take me one shot with my little 38 and that is using cheap ammo.

Posted By: EastTexP

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 09:40 PM

I use an old Stevens 87a .22 to the ear on trapped hogs never had one stand up to it

Posted By: kmon11

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 10:27 PM

A 22lr to the brain from any angle and there is a dead hog. Miss the brain with it or anything else and be ready to shoot again

Posted By: TAT

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 11:24 PM

killed a hog that size with a 17hmr at roughly 100 yards. earholed it and it dropped in its tracks. clearly it was the shooter who had the issue on this one! lol

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/19/11 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: HOG.DOGS
Get them out a live an then kill them out side the trap

that sounds like a lot of unnecessary work....

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/20/11 12:27 AM

.22mag I had a cool vid a few yrs ago on youtube dropping 8 of them bastards with it but the tree huggers had it pulled. bang

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/20/11 03:28 AM

You know, i've never shot a trapped pig before, but i've shot em from blinds. I usually aim for the ear because they don't know I am there.

In this case, initially, I started to do that, but every time I would get to the side of the hog, she would turn directly toward me.

So I just thought, hell, shoot it in the top of the head, that's gonna do it.

It doesn't... it was painful to watch. I hate pigs, but next time I will be sure to take my time and pop it directly in the side/ear. I can't stand watching animals suffer, creeps me out.

Posted By: scott01

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/20/11 03:20 PM

I've always been fond of my .44 magnum with a shot behind their ear. Of course, our traps are more like corrals (about 25 ft in diameter) so you can't put the gun 2 ft behind the ear since they always run to the other side of the trap, lol.. It's also a little different when you catch 5-8 at a time and they get a little excited and want to run around or try to jump out.

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: How to kill a hog in a trap - 05/20/11 04:58 PM

If you were trying to tap the right eye as noted in the video, you very easily could have missed the brain from those angles, either passing through the sinuses or passing between the inner and outer tables. The round may have passed laterally as well.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum