Texas Hunting Forum

Calling In Bobcats?

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Calling In Bobcats? - 04/17/11 08:56 PM

So I've started hunting yotes lately and have called a few in but what does it take to call in a cat? We just use the call for a solid 10 minutes or so and let it stop for a couple of minutes then call for another 10, when we call in yotes. Is it the same concept pretty much for bobcats?

Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/17/11 09:39 PM

cats usually take longer to come in. give it atleast 30 min or so instead of ten. they also creep up on ya so keep a good eye out. the hide behind trees and stuff and peek out then creep to another spot an peek out

Posted By: Critter Getter

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/18/11 01:21 AM

Ive had my best luck in the thick woods. I let the call run 25-30 minutes non stop.

Posted By: Revoman

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/18/11 03:37 AM

I've had cats take up to 45 minutes to come in. I've also had them barrel in within a minute of calling. I stay on all sets for 30 minutes unless I kill. But, I've stayed put on a quick kill and busted a cat for a double.

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/18/11 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: trapperjustin
cats usually take longer to come in. give it atleast 30 min or so instead of ten. they also creep up on ya so keep a good eye out. the hide behind trees and stuff and peek out then creep to another spot an peek out

Nothing could be closer to the truth

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/19/11 12:02 AM

So 30 minutes non stop calling? I am hunting in a very thick hill country area, we called some yotes in last weekend for the first time, that was exciting!

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted By: sagebrushassassin

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/20/11 06:58 PM

Do you guys use rabbit or bird distress calls or do you have some sort of cat sound?

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/20/11 07:05 PM

I use a baby cottontail rabbit.
Like everyone else said…the take their sweet time.
Keep a sharp eye out. They can hide behind a blade of grass 5 feet from you and you wouldn’t even notice. They are very sneaky.

I was calling one night for 20 minutes or so and paned the spot light. Saw nothing. Literally 5 seconds later my foxpro was in hand to hand combat with a large cat. He snuck in and I never saw him or had a chance to get a shot off. It was that quick.

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Calling In Bobcats? - 04/25/11 01:08 AM

Going to have to lay off the coyotes, too hard for me to resist.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum