Texas Hunting Forum

New to Hog Hunting have some questions

Posted By: Cypress Legend

New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 07:14 PM

I Have a Lake house on Sam Rayburn right outside of hunnington tx. We have 29 Acres with 8 of it on the water, I have a feeder that goes off twice a day with corn and i have plenty of does on it but no hogs. I have made some soured corn a few times and had no success to find the hogs, most of my land is heavily wooded and i have scene a bunch of ruts on the water front. What would be my best bet for finding some hogs around a lake. Once again i am new to hunting in general, i just fish.

Posted By: TonyLama

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 07:19 PM

Leave the feeder out they will come

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 07:29 PM

I have had the feeder out for about 3 months now, I have not scene any ruts around the feeder, but i do have about 20 deer that sit and wait for the feeder

Posted By: 700X

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 08:49 PM

Simple solution -

Take a pickle bucket ,fill it full of corn , add 1 gallon of milk,add 2 boxes of grape jello,let it sit for a week.Pour it around the spot you want to hunt them - they will show ,just remember that Hogs are like Gypsies - they are always on the move.You may see them for a week straight and then not see them again for another 3 weeks.

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 08:55 PM

What i used last time was a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of corn, a six pack of beer, a pouch of strawberry cool aid a pouch of grape cool aid and some milk. filled it with water and let it sit 2 weeks and added a little diesel. Put it on the ground and nothing happened. My neighbors killed a big 300+ a couple months ago but i have nothing. I guess they will show up some time. Should i try to pour it on the sand right next to the lake?

Posted By: 700X

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 09:02 PM

Got any post hole diggers?? If ya do - dig a hole out
(if the property is yours)if its not your land - you may piss off the landowner,regardless dig the hole pour it in it..The combination your using will work,mine is cheaper and works just as well,hogs are like ducks,if they are there you will kill them ,if not,then they are just not there in that area yet.Be careful though ,you may end up with more hogs than you know what to do with.

Posted By: ctownboy

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Cypress Legend
I have had the feeder out for about 3 months now, I have not scene any ruts around the feeder, but i do have about 20 deer that sit and wait for the feeder

Lots of people would love that.

Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/05/11 11:53 PM

once you get the hogs, you'll wish you didnt have em.

Posted By: kwkguide

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/15/11 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Agreed

Posted By: BMD

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/15/11 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: kwkguide

Agreed

Yep I wish they had never showed on our place bang

Posted By: dnttang

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/15/11 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: kwkguide

Agreed

X3

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/17/11 03:09 AM

I'd be happy if they were none on our place, put's me out of a side job though, the ranches I hunt have been hog free for about a month now, and they love me for it, calves and deer are running all over the place, They couldn't be happier.

Posted By: Victor Six Bravo

Re: New to Hog Hunting have some questions - 04/20/11 02:11 PM

Got a friend's place, we dropped 125lb of corn in feeders or where feeders generally are, some molasses, koolaid powder all over, and some other bait later in the week (including some deer meat) over a 90 acre area.

Fresh tracks found that day, so we'll see what we get this weekend. Four to five shooters running .44, .308, 6.8 and 5.56.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum