Texas Hunting Forum

Problems with Skunks?

Posted By: Goatneck Knives

Problems with Skunks? - 03/02/11 06:03 PM

I've been out calling varmints at night since the weather warmed up and I keep having the same problem. I'll get set up and start calling. Just about the time I think Ok, something should start coming in soon I hear a rustling in the tall grass very, VERY close. I flip on my light and there facing me at close range is a SKUNK. They don't seem to enjoy having a light shined in their face and they usually turn around and raise that tail. After I gather my scattered gear from the hasty retreat I'll move to a different location and start calling again. I'm using an older electronic caller with a distessed rabbit call. I didn't think skunks would be intrested in a rabbit. The skunks are to close for me to chance a shot and possibly end up sleeping outside for a week.
Is there another call that doesnt bring in the skunks?

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/02/11 06:39 PM

go out and start killing skunks... u can be pretty close without getting sprayed, they only spray to like 20ft or so.... so ten yards away, and u will be perfectly fine.

Posted By: ctownboy

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/02/11 07:44 PM

rofl

I just want to see you high tailing it out of there. bolt

Posted By:

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/02/11 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
they only spray to like 20ft or so.... so ten yards away, and u will be perfectly fine.

Unless you are down wind, made that mistake grin

Agreed though, it is time to kill some skunks. Very few skunks get a pass from me.

Chupa

Posted By: Rebel.

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/02/11 09:24 PM

Must be the skunk rut right now. I saw 13 dead ones on the road today! You'd think their numbers would diminish with so many getting hit

Posted By: Dan_the_Bowhunter

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 12:51 AM

x2 ive seen alot of dead ones on the road

Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 12:55 AM

I saw two together the past two nights in the same spot. Mating season or something?

Posted By: DaltonB16

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 01:33 AM

My Dog has been sprayed twice recently..unfortunately shes not the quickest learner...

Posted By: KC

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 01:37 AM

Yes, it's their mating season- one got caught in the trashcan right under the window to my wife's classroom. That was a fun day...

Posted By: SLT

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 02:43 AM

Shunk bolt

Posted By: AKA Hunt_with_Stick

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 03:22 AM

This thread stinks...

Posted By: Goatneck Knives

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 04:29 AM

For some reason I'm not totally confidant in shooting a skunk thats "pretty close". The two I saw last night were within 10 feet.

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 04:53 AM

Hey Dan, want to shoot one with your super fast bow?! I will video from a long ways away.

Posted By: mdc10

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 05:39 AM

If you shoot one don't break the backbone. It will automatically spray. Get a good chest shot and your good to go! Just don't hit the tail end either!

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/03/11 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: mdc10
If you shoot one don't break the backbone. It will automatically spray. Get a good chest shot and your good to go! Just don't hit the tail end either!

lol, terrible advice

Posted By: crstfr

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/04/11 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Rebel.
Must be the skunk rut right now. I saw 13 dead ones on the road today! You'd think their numbers would diminish with so many getting hit

means the bass will be spawning!!....TIGHT LINES!

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/04/11 02:47 PM

If you lift them off the ground in one quick swoop, they are unable to spray...

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/04/11 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: kyotee1
If you lift them off the ground in one quick swoop, they are unable to spray...

My grandpa told me he used to do that. Grab them by the tails and lift them up and they can't spray. No thanks!

Posted By: amcalister

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/04/11 04:57 PM

My mut decided last night he would kill one in the back yard and drag it up on the back deck to show daddy that appearently he is a killer and even getting sprayed in the face doesn't deter him. Funny thing is his face was grass stained this morning from where he was rubbing it in the grass.

Posted By: Payne

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/04/11 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: amcalister
My mut decided last night he would kill one in the back yard and drag it up on the back deck to show daddy that appearently he is a killer and even getting sprayed in the face doesn't deter him. Funny thing is his face was grass stained this morning from where he was rubbing it in the grass.

My lab ripped one in half this morning. You can get most of the smell out by mixing a new quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup of baking soda and some liquid soap. I use a plastic coffee can, surgical gloves & a rag to apply. Let the dog sit with the mix on for 10-15 minutes then rinse with water.

Posted By: Dan_the_Bowhunter

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/05/11 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: ctownboy
Hey Dan, want to shoot one with your super fast bow?! I will video from a long ways away.

Sure! grin

I agree-this thread stinks!

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/05/11 04:41 AM

Payne that recipe will work EVERY TIME for skunk smell, especially on dogs.

The ONLY WAY, only way a skunk wont spay is if you get a syringe pole w/ pure acetone in it and inject it into the lungs. They die with out spraying. Trappers use that with live traps so it preserves the pelt.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/08/11 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MaggieMTx
Payne that recipe will work EVERY TIME for skunk smell, especially on dogs.

The ONLY WAY, only way a skunk wont spay is if you get a syringe pole w/ pure acetone in it and inject it into the lungs. They die with out spraying. Trappers use that with live traps so it preserves the pelt.

Absolutely on both!

Posted By: moe cowbell

Re: Problems with Skunks? - 03/09/11 04:36 AM

If you encounter a skunk in yer Ole Roy just be patient popcorn

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum