Texas Hunting Forum

Another pic from OSB

Posted By: operationporkchop

Another pic from OSB - 01/09/05 09:08 PM

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/10/05 12:40 AM

Glad your back, some was wondering where you have been. Congrats on the hogs.

Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/10/05 01:28 AM

so thats where ya been....... good job, OPC. was it muddy enough for ya ?

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/10/05 01:46 AM

There was water everywhere, I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't been keeping up on the forum but I will try to catch up.

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/11/05 02:08 PM

What is the season for hogs at OSB?

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/12/05 12:54 AM

shotgun,rimfire, and muzzleloader for hogs runs till jan. 28th. The same season reopens may 1-31. General season (all legal weapons allowed) opens Jan. 29-March 13. Lets GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: mredneck

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/12/05 05:09 AM

I am free after feb 3rd. No more ducks or deer in the way. Where do ya want to meet?

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/18/05 10:07 PM

We have a HOG ASSAULT planned for Feb.12 at lake Cooper. The more the better. We've heard that they are having serious problems with hogs now since the Lake came up. The lake was low for 2 years and the pigs were hard to get to in the lake bottom. Now they are out of the lake bottom and up on WMA property and private land thick as fleas.

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/18/05 10:07 PM

We have a HOG ASSAULT planned for Feb.12 at lake Cooper. The more the better. We've heard that they are having serious problems with hogs now since the Lake came up. The lake was low for 2 years and the pigs were hard to get to in the lake bottom. Now they are out of the lake bottom and up on WMA property and private land thick as fleas.

Posted By: mredneck

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 06:59 AM

I am in! Shotgun (slugs or buckshot) or Bow?

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 11:13 AM

I had a question about your shotgun setup. What do you have and what are you shooting. It appears that there is a red dot on top of it. What bullets have you been most successful with (buckshot or slugs)? If slugs, which ones sabot or full bore? What are the maximum distances you are shooting at the hogs?

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 11:16 AM

My question about setup was supposed to be directed at operationporkchop. He seems to have the most knowledge on hog hunting.

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 11:40 AM

I just saw your post on your setup. thanks

Posted By: Erich

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 04:41 PM

I've been wanting to get onto some more of the lands available through the public hunt permit. I"ve done many of the dove leases, but none of the ones available for big game. Planning on making a trip to OSB next year sometime. doubtful that will have enough time this year. I'm curious, what are the campsites like? is anything available or is it just open ground, also, what are the better areas to access the property? Is baiting or hunting at night allowed for hogs? i'd be a first timer, any wisdom from someone who's been would be greatly appreciated.

Erich

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 09:07 PM

I have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrell. I put a 42mm BSA red dot on it. I shoot the sabot slugs. Very accurate out to 50 yds and capable of shooting 100yds. I use the winchester partition gold supremes. They are 385 grains with a velocity of 1900ft per sec. I can only find these slugs at Bass Pro or Galayns which I heard Galayans is closing down. Sometimes B&S guns in Garland carries them.

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 09:52 PM

Quote:

I have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrell. I put a 42mm BSA red dot on it. I shoot the sabot slugs. Very accurate out to 50 yds and capable of shooting 100yds. I use the winchester partition gold supremes. They are 385 grains with a velocity of 1900ft per sec. I can only find these slugs at Bass Pro or Galayns which I heard Galayans is closing down. Sometimes B&S guns in Garland carries them.

Can you say as to what accuracy/groups you get at 100 yards, or are you concerend about Hog stopping power at 100 yards?
I have considered getting a mossberg brand rifled barrel ,or an aftermarket barrel. Any advice appreciated.

BTW, according to the calculations, 385 grains at 1900fps is a WHOPPING 3087 ftlbs of energy. thats dang powerful.

Posted By: bluewavemike

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/19/05 11:43 PM

A bow works well too. Ok it only good to 30 yards.

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/20/05 08:48 PM

I called every gun range around here and only one place let me shoot my slug gun. I was able to sight it in at 50 yds with my red dot and I am shooting a consistent 2 inch group. I am 1 inch high also at 50yds. I was told at 100 I would either be dead on or 1 inch low. The trajectory on these slugs is awesome. They dont start falling until after 120yds or so. I am not worried about nockdown power at 100yds because I know it will. My partner Steve (eatmorepork) is his username, dropped 2 hogs at 100yds at Lake Cooper one year with his. I am going to shoot at 100yds at the range someday but I just haven't been yet.

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/20/05 09:07 PM

thanks, thats good sounding ballistics and good info.

Posted By: ALLAN

Re: Another pic from OSB - 01/21/05 01:48 PM

Quote:

what do you do to get the permit?? Is it Corp land or TP&W??

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum