Texas Hunting Forum

Nutria Problem???

Posted By: JonnyRay

Nutria Problem??? - 02/01/11 02:49 AM

Will nutria cut down trees? I have no beaver lodge just holes in the banks... but something is building a dam.

Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Nutria Problem??? - 02/01/11 02:52 AM

I shot a Nutria one time with a .30-06. Nothing left on the bank but a greasy spot. Normally I use a .22 on them smile

They are not known for cutting, but they are notorious for digging up along shorelines.

Posted By: JonnyRay

Re: Nutria Problem??? - 02/01/11 02:57 AM

Well I guess it could be a beaver but no lodge and I've never seen either but something is living burrowed into the shore line.

Posted By: ragtag

Re: Nutria Problem??? - 02/01/11 03:11 AM

my in laws had a bad beaver problem last year and their lodge was in the bank. knock a hole in the dam right before dark and get a chair and wait for dark and the running water sound will drive them nuts that they have to fix it before they can do anything else... got 3 in one night, shot them as they were swimming up to the dam. might wanna sit at least 40 or 50yds off bc those suckers can tell when your there! its a lot of fun but take care of them before they destroy your place bc they will!

Posted By: MVILL

Re: Nutria Problem??? - 02/01/11 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ragtag
my in laws had a bad beaver problem last year and their lodge was in the bank. knock a hole in the dam right before dark and get a chair and wait for dark and the running water sound will drive them nuts that they have to fix it before they can do anything else... got 3 in one night, shot them as they were swimming up to the dam. might wanna sit at least 40 or 50yds off bc those suckers can tell when your there! its a lot of fun but take care of them before they destroy your place bc they will!

x2

They can't stand the sound of running water

Posted By: TEXASTRAPPER

Re: Nutria Problem??? - 02/01/11 01:29 PM

Nutria won't really chew on trees. Sounds like beaver with a bank den. Down here the majority don't build lodges.

Posted By: dawgkllr

Re: Nutria Problem??? - 02/01/11 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MVILL
Originally Posted By: ragtag

x2

They can't stand the sound of running water

hmmmmm sounds alot like my kids! frown

Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Nutria Problem??? - 02/03/11 02:35 AM

Dont know but it could be either one. I kill every nutria I see withou any hesitation, those suckers are bad news. Usually dont shoot the beavers unless somebody asked me to.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum