Texas Hunting Forum

Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs?

Posted By: redfred

Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 04:14 AM

My 27 year old son wants to go on a hig hunt with me but doesn't have a license. It doesn't make much sense to buy one this time of year.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 04:31 AM

Yes.

Posted By: blancobuster

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 04:33 AM

"A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License (Type 169).

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

* Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
* Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
* Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation."

From TPWD.

You are trying to kill depredating feral hogs right? rifle

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 01:45 PM

Yes, he needs a license. You will be hard pressed to get a Game Warden to accept the "Depredation" route unless you are the rancher.

As to not getting a license "this time of year", that makes no sense. The license is good through August. The license is not expensive. Get one, be legal, go hunting with your son, and have fun.

Posted By: texashoghunter1

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 02:18 PM

I have heard that you don't have to have a licenses to shoot them but you do if you if you want to take them out of the field. I would say it is worth it just to buy a license though, its not worth the risk.

Posted By: firehog261

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 02:29 PM

You have to have one like Bob said.

Posted By: M Bennet

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 03:16 PM

if you hunt in tx for any animal you need a liecens. call tpw they can help u

Posted By: jdickey

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 03:26 PM

I beleive he will also need his HUNTER EDUCATION certificate or pay the extra $10.00 for a one year deferral!

Posted By: crash700

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 03:53 PM

I would get a license, they are not that expensive and in my opinion, go to a good cause. I support conservation and the license is good for a year, or until the end of August, whichever you purchase. Like was mentioned above, he may also need the Hunters Education Course if he has not already had it.

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 04:33 PM

"Do you need a hunting license to hunt..."

hammer

Posted By: redfred

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/28/11 05:38 PM

I had read about the "depradating" hog exception, but wasn't sure if that applied. He's just going to get a license. Thanks everybody!

Posted By: Clay Reid

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/29/11 03:06 AM

Our local game warden says no . Only if you are paying to hunt them or hunting in a contest of sorts .

Posted By: cattle69

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/29/11 02:19 PM

You can get an exotic license cheaper.

Posted By: _Lee

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/30/11 01:57 AM

my buddy is a rancher and took some friends out on his property shooting hogs and warden gave one of the guys a ticket for not having a license

Posted By: boonee

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/30/11 04:30 AM

YES, its cheap,helps TPW and if you are in the woods with a gun it COULD be considered HUNTING. The fine could be a lot higher than the lic.

Posted By: JRPurvis

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/31/11 09:35 PM

If you are the landowner or the landowner's agent and are getting rid of depredating hogs you don't need a license. If the landowner isn't there, you should have a piece of paper stating you are acting for them. If you are hunting for sport or meat, or are paying to hunt them or to have a guide, then you need a hunting license.

A warden once told me, "When I ask what you are doing, and you tell me you are controlling hogs for the landowner, I'll take you at your word unless the evidence is obviously contrary. But if you tell me you're hunting for hogs, you better have a license with you. Be careful what you tell me." He also told me some wardens always want to see a license, while some don't care as long as you kill pigs. If it is during deer season, some will consider you as a deer hunter until proven otherwise.

My suggestion - don't be cheap. Buy the license already, just in case.

Posted By: Roondoggydog

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/05/13 05:50 AM

Pigs are considered varmits you do not need a license to kill them a warden once told me the limit on them is one more than you have ! You can also shoot them at night with spot lights Best bet is to make sure it's not deer season though Kinda hard to persuade wardens your hunting hogs Especially if you have a buck grunt on you or have rattling antlers !! Lol
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/05/13 06:07 AM

Yes.
Posted By: Etex

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/05/13 07:26 AM

Get a year to date license its cheaper than a ticket
Posted By: agChuck

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/05/13 07:09 PM

He might not need the hunters ed course as long as you are with him the whole time. Check the tpwd website.

I would get the license just to be sure. No reason to get the super combo with fishing. Just get hunting only.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/05/13 07:38 PM

You guys realize this question was posed two years ago, right? Whatever happened, happened.
Posted By: robbf213

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/06/13 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Roondoggydog
Pigs are considered varmits you do not need a license to kill them a warden once told me the limit on them is one more than you have ! You can also shoot them at night with spot lights Best bet is to make sure it's not deer season though Kinda hard to persuade wardens your hunting hogs Especially if you have a buck grunt on you or have rattling antlers !! Lol

Good job reviving a two year old discussion with wrong information.
Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/06/13 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: robbf213
Originally Posted By: Roondoggydog

Good job reviving a two year old discussion with wrong information.

lol35
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/06/13 10:14 PM

If you don't buy a license, and the game warden shows up, report back to us and tell us what happened. I always like to hear a good explanation of why the game warden was wrong. By the way look at your own answer.

Originally Posted By: redfred
My 27 year old son wants to go on a hig hunt with me but doesn't have a license. It doesn't make much sense to buy one this time of year.
Posted By: P1DTAY

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/07/13 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: agChuck
He might not need the hunters ed course as long as you are with him the whole time. Check the tpwd website.

I would get the license just to be sure. No reason to get the super combo with fishing. Just get hunting only.
He NEEDS a license AND Hunters safety. He can defer hunters safety i f it is the FIRST and ONLY time he defers. Otherwise he needs hunters safety course and a license.
Posted By: BowfishNinja

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/07/13 05:36 PM

Yes
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Do you need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs? - 01/07/13 05:39 PM

Who dug this up?

Roondoggydog - you get back here newbie and give me than dang shovel.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum