Texas Hunting Forum

Best coon bait

Posted By: texashoghunter1

Best coon bait - 01/14/11 06:27 PM

What is the best bait for trapping coons? I have heard dog food, sardines, marshmellows? What will attract them the fastest? I was thinking sardines cause of the smell. What do yall think?

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Best coon bait - 01/14/11 06:32 PM

Sardines gets em everytime.

Posted By: duckdown

Re: Best coon bait - 01/14/11 07:04 PM

trapped for yrs. sardines will catch you more skunks than coon. dog food works good and you can kill a bird and rip it open. that works good to. if your setting steel traps around a stream ive used tin foil around the trigger. set in edge of the running stream where the sunlight refelcts on the tin foil. they will reach and grab it.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best coon bait - 01/14/11 08:16 PM

We use canned dog/cat food works pretty well, we have also had good success with left over hotdog wennies from dinner and shell corn. We have also caught a number of oposums and ferrel cats.

matt

Posted By: deweyR

Re: Best coon bait - 01/14/11 09:08 PM

dry cat food or corn works too. just depends or what you have. start with something if it dont work switch to something else.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best coon bait - 01/14/11 09:14 PM

Corn or I have also used a tube of catfish bait and put some of it on a rock or stick in the trap.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Best coon bait - 01/14/11 09:17 PM

hamburger meat

Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Best coon bait - 01/14/11 10:53 PM

our chickens. shot more tryin to get in the coop than all other times combined.

Posted By: pafree

Re: Best coon bait - 01/15/11 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have also used a tube of catfish bait and put some of it on a rock or stick in the trap.

this is a great ideal. i use dry cat food and have to put it in a little bowl to keep them from digging under the trap letting the food falling through. they kinda sneaky like that.

Posted By: maxscm

Re: Best coon bait - 01/15/11 03:30 AM

tuna ,salmon,,sardines all will get the skunks.
honey buns or honey will attract and catch more raccoons.

Posted By: Bluegoose

Re: Best coon bait - 01/15/11 04:33 PM

vanilla wafers! use the generic brand, they're cheaper

Re: Best coon bait - 01/15/11 07:19 PM

Can you actually sell coon meat to the old timer. I know a guy that swears that you can sell coon for 20-25 a peice, I am a little skeptical about it.

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Best coon bait - 01/15/11 07:28 PM

if you don't want to catch skunks, stray cats, opossums....go with something sweet. have caught several with cookies or marshmallows. most trapper sites have coon lure that is sickly sweet smelling & it brings them in on a rope.

Re: Best coon bait - 01/16/11 01:13 AM

ttt

Posted By: pig out

Re: Best coon bait - 01/16/11 02:44 AM

fish flavor can catfood

Posted By: East Texas Hunter

Re: Best coon bait - 01/16/11 04:08 AM

Ive heard peanut butter and marshmallows but im not sure

Posted By: tsunami

Re: Best coon bait - 01/16/11 02:15 PM

I tried everything, the more smell the more skunks and other critters I caught. Try using an apple or something sweet. If they are trying 2 get your chickens, break one egg in the trap, then put a couple of hole eggs in there works for me.good luck

Re: Best coon bait - 01/17/11 02:54 AM

Thanks guys wink

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum