Texas Hunting Forum

What do you put out for hogs?

Posted By: texbowhunter

What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 04:06 AM

Ok, now that deer seasons over I've decided to do some hog management. I'm just wondering what you guys throw out for them. I'm not gonna put a feeder up so I'm just talking about whether you use regular corn, soured corn, throw diesel on it or whatever, I'm just lookin for ideas to try out and keep me busy so let me hear them!

Posted By: Mr. 2 Million

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 04:15 AM

welcome , I just use plain old corn out of a spin feeder , they will find it and keep coming till it quits being there

Posted By: texaspride93

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 04:17 AM

soured corn and molasses in a five gallon bucket! hang it on a springy branch so they can shake it around but cant knock it down

Posted By: Maxed-out

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 04:35 AM

have tried sour corn and they ran off. Now just dry corn in a feeder. The way i brought them back to my property was i got on my tractor and plowed up an acre of land, they can runnin. Im gonna see if i can pin-point them to one very little spot for archery by trying some "sow in heat" scent. Iv never tried it, but sounds like it should work

Posted By: KC

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 04:50 AM

I don't throw anything but lead and a tiny amount of copper at them...

Regular corn has been bringing them in for ages...

Posted By: Birdog62

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 06:04 AM

We use corn top dressed with powdered Hog Wild. It works to get them in the traps.

Posted By: Knightdiscshooter

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 06:23 AM

well I use a couple things.. one just corn out my feeder. The other is a mixture.. of 1/2 5 gal bucket of corn, vegatable oil, table salt, and cherry jello. You use the oil to make the salt stick to the corn along with the jello.. mix well and dump on the ground works great.. cheaper than hog wild which also works well. I also use a hog pipe they sure love playing with that!

Posted By: Mr Redneck

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 05:08 PM

Corn, Apples to help them find it. Once they find it you don't need more apples.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 06:22 PM

they sure like our creep feed....

Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 08:23 PM

A guy that trapes for the City of Sugar Land along the Brazos told me about this one a few weeks back. "corn, oil, salt and cherry" He says they it is the best thing he has ever used. He also says that deer come to it first and them the hogs come right behing.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
they sure like our creep feed....

no friggin' lie.

Corn always seems to work best. Find an area they've just hit and pour corn in it..this time of year they are likely to return.

Posted By: texbowhunter

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/10/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Knightdiscshooter
well I use a couple things.. one just corn out my feeder. The other is a mixture.. of 1/2 5 gal bucket of corn, vegatable oil, table salt, and cherry jello. You use the oil to make the salt stick to the corn along with the jello.. mix well and dump on the ground works great.. cheaper than hog wild which also works well. I also use a hog pipe they sure love playing with that!

Knight, what amounts of each thing do you put in that mix?

Posted By: M Bennet

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/11/11 12:01 AM

i normaly dup roughbmc dogs out box and catch them ty them up and bring hm the bacon.lol

Posted By: bayhard

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/11/11 06:25 PM

dog trap and shot do what u can to stop the spread

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/11/11 08:11 PM

Corn soaked in soured milk for a 2 weeks - keeps the deer away and the hogs sure like it.

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: What do you put out for hogs? - 01/11/11 08:18 PM

Dry corn

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum