Texas Hunting Forum

Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County

Posted By: barnez

Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/02/11 03:52 PM

Between deer hunting yesterday I decided to do some calling. I setup my foxpro spitfire and mojo critter decoy about 20 yards to the North of where I was standing backed into a cedar tree. After 8-10 minutes of continuous calling using the adult cottontail this grey fox came in 9-10 yards to my right. She barked at the decoy, quickly turned around and moved back away about 6 feet to sit and stare. I repositioned when she turned and shot her as she went to sit on her back legs. I shot her w/ a .308 corelokt and that unfortunately destroyed her lower body. I'll probably do a pedestal mount since this is my first. Is this an average size for a female?

Posted By: amcalister

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/02/11 03:54 PM

I work in Cedar Hill and see them all the time running around and that looks about average size...purty one

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/02/11 03:57 PM

Congrats I haven't killed one in a long time

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/02/11 04:08 PM

sweet, and ya my fox i had mounted was about that size. they have really thin skin so i'm sure that 30 06 did a number on her.. mine had a baseball sized hole in it.

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/03/11 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst
sweet, and ya my fox i had mounted was about that size. they have really thin skin so i'm sure that 30 06 did a number on her.. mine had a baseball sized hole in it.

yep, this one looked like it had a grenade go off inside of it. i had to fully remove the guts just to take this pic.

Posted By: MVILL

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/03/11 05:57 AM

Very nice. Post a pic after you get it mounted.

Posted By: JustinB

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/03/11 08:14 AM

very nice brotha

Posted By: Canazes9

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/03/11 12:51 PM

Nice! Love the excitement of having a predator come to the call!

David

Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/03/11 02:03 PM

8-9lbs is average for a gray fox. a few will get to 10lbs or a little more. Good job. You should have hollered at me when you were down this way we could have made a few stands.

Keep at em' and get a smaller caliber 308 is NOT very fur friendly smile

Posted By: DRT Wildlife Studio

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/03/11 03:55 PM

Thats awesome

Re: Called in my first fox (Pics) - Callahan County - 01/03/11 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: txvarminter
8-9lbs is average for a gray fox. a few will get to 10lbs or a little more. Good job. You should have hollered at me when you were down this way we could have made a few stands.

Keep at em' and get a smaller caliber 308 is NOT very fur friendly smile

I think this one was more like a 6-7 lb female. We need to go out there and see what else we can call up. I do like my .308 for varmint hunting but it would have been nice to use something like a 223 to keep everything intact. Is that pretty common for them to bark at the decoy?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum