Texas Hunting Forum

Getting charged by hogs

Posted By: Csddarden

Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 04:34 PM

Just wondering how many of yall have been charged by a hog/group of hogs.

Me and one of my buddys stalked up on what we thought was 6 pigs out in a field that's hog wired on 3 sides so we came in from their only route of espace hoping they would flush towards us eventually after we started picking them off. Took our first shots at a little under 100... never saw the 30+ in the tall grass between us and the 6 hogs we spotted. My buddy unloaded what was left in his rifle then bolted. I did the same but fell in some pig ruts near the fence line and screwed up my ankle. Ended up sittin there unloading all 13 out of my pistol at pigs as they busted through the grass coming towards me.

This was my first on-purpose hog hunt. Haven't been back lookin for them since. Pretty much thought I was going to die for a sec there. This was in Dickens Co. BTW.

-Chris Darden

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 05:07 PM

Once. It was about an hour before daylight. I was going to hang out estrous scent near my feeder & there were a ton of hogs sleeping @ my feeder. I accidentally spooked them & they freaked out BAD! It was also the ONLY time I had NOT had a pistol w/me. I also left my rifle back @ my blind about 120 yrds. away. I just ran all crazy & yelled. Hell, I might have been screaming! If I had to guess I would say 25 hogs were there. Maybe half chased me for about 150'.

Posted By: E.Whit

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 06:25 PM

One funny video is this what you looked like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og5rKt9VYX0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwK_1SFE_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnieUZxxr8

Posted By: massn8v

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 07:52 PM

Those videos are cool. In that first one, that hog is screeeaming!!

Posted By: Sami

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 08:13 PM

How much are they charging? Damn capitalistic pigs!!!

Posted By: BePrepared

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sami
How much are they charging? Damn capitalistic pigs!!!

roflmao rofl

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 08:30 PM

that third video is the coolest thing ive seen in a while...

Posted By: E.Whit

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/07/10 10:45 PM

I have had hogs run back in on us when we catch them with dogs but never got as close as the first video. They are kinda like Havelina they will come back to help their own. Remember that good thing to know when your hunting at night.

Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/08/10 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Csddarden

Me and one of my buddys stalked up on what we thought was 6 pigs out in a field that's hog wired on 3 sides so we came in from their only route of espace hoping they would flush towards us eventually after we started picking them off. Took our first shots at a little under 100... never saw the 30+ in the tall grass between us and the 6 hogs we spotted. My buddy unloaded what was left in his rifle then bolted. I did the same but fell in some pig ruts near the fence line and screwed up my ankle. Ended up sittin there unloading all 13 out of my pistol at pigs as they busted through the grass coming towards me.

This was my first on-purpose hog hunt. Haven't been back lookin for them since. Pretty much thought I was going to die for a sec there. This was in Dickens Co. BTW.

-Chris Darden

You just need some back-up! I got a 5.56 and a 6.8 that should slow them suckers down!

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/08/10 03:19 AM

I remember I shot a sow out of my 8' tripod one time. I picked her out of a group of about 40 and let the arrow fly. She didn't make it but about 20yds and dropped. While I am down there field dressing her, big spotted boar came back in and literally chased me back to the stand. I had to jump and hang from the tripod and pull myself up. Bow still on the ground next to the sow, but that boar circled that stand, making low grunts and snorting and then left the way he came. I got my revenge on him later on in season w/ the boom stick. I never even let him make it out of the creek.

Posted By: Teal28

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/08/10 02:00 PM

Cool vids!

Posted By: Kobeer

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/08/10 02:03 PM

i had one charge at me after i shot it and that it was dead. but never had them charge me just for the hell of it. usually they see you and they book it out of there

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/08/10 04:59 PM

You just need some back-up! I got a 5.56 and a 6.8 that should slow them suckers down![/quote]

Heck, I was shooting my .300wsm and my .40. Just needed more ammo! And a hunting buddy who isn't gonna leave me high and dry. We ended up with seven porkers on the ground tho. Landowner was happy about that.

Posted By: erathar

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/09/10 02:48 AM

I was sitting in a pop up blind this past december with 10 or 11 does eating corn i hand spread earlier in the day. The does spooked from the corn and i was waiting for big daddy to walk out. But it turned out to be a big ol spotted hog. I went ahead and shot it with my 243. It stumbled to th ground, then got up and started running right at me. I shot it once more in th chest. It kept running at me. By this time im trying like hell to get out of the blind. I cant get it unzipped all th way so im tore the stakes out of th ground and had my pop up around my waist. finally i get it off an th hog is litterally 5 feet from me. i fire one more round into its hind quarter and it runs off into the brush. I go to find it and never can. A week of so later i see buzzards and find it. I have the skull still. Ill post pics tomorrow. You wont believe th size of it. Hard to believe story, i know. jst wait til you see the skull. I still dnt believe he was CHARGING me, but rather trying to get the heck outta there.

Posted By: BFord

Re: Getting charged by hogs - 05/09/10 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Csddarden

rofl

-Chris Darden

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum